Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Chrysler drop the top? Anyone have any inside info?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I wouldn't buy one in a Stick unless it had an SMG which we're not likely to ever see from "the big three". Sticks are great for teenagers.. I've grown up now, and I like to relax while driving.. :)

(and yes I've had a few fast six speeds)

·
Registered
771 Posts
If you had said you had some fast 4 speed manual's, that would have put you in my era of muscle cars. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
good one

great one, snake!

As an old time racer I am still confused by all the speeds in modern cars. And real old school cars had 4 at the most!

I had a twelve second Nova that only had 3.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Sticks are great for teenagers.. I've grown up now, and I like to relax while driving.. :)
Well that's what the 300C is for; Although many have expressed wishes that the 300C were offered with a manual, I would not buy a 300C with a manual transmission. It's just not that type of car. The Challenger on the other hand, is; I'll definitely insist on a manual when I buy my Challenger, since I'm planning to keep the "C" as well.

Same thing with a convertible; I'm sure they will offer a Challenger convertible but I wouldn't be interested. They are heavier and less rigid. As much as I enjoy the sunroof in the "C" (first car with a sunroof I've ever owned) I wouldn't want a sunroof in the challenger. If I could get a Challenger SRT8 with 6 speed, 3.92 gears, with manual A/C, a good stereo, but NO other options (yes I'd even have crank up windows) that's what I'd buy. (Of course the awesome SRT seats I want, but they'd be standard).

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
great one, snake!

As an old time racer I am still confused by all the speeds in modern cars. And real old school cars had 4 at the most!

I had a twelve second Nova that only had 3.
I think I can top that. I had a '71 El Camino that had 3 in a tree. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
BigSnake,

Nah I wussed out on the muscle cars and went with Auto's in them as well. I was more concerned with consistent ET's at the track. :)

The best Auto I've ever had my hands on was a TorqueFlight 727 with the 1.6 ratio shift lever, Cheetah full manual reverse valvebody, high perf clutch pack and band, 10" 3K TCI stall. That was mated to a 0.060 over 440 RB Wedge shoehorned in my 71 Pro Street Dodge Demon. It ran 11.27's on street rubber (mild tub and narrow on a 3.92 rear with a spool). It needed 4.56's and a 5200 stall to hit 10.90's.

This whole thing about the Challenger being a stick car.. Look at the numbers of original cars sold, there were tons of TF727 Hemi and 440 cars out there.. They were consistant on the track. Sticks used to be where it was at on a twisty track but honestly an SMG is the best of all worlds IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly that a good shifting automatic will get you more consistent ET's and probably better times. In fact a modern automatic is probably superior by every objective measure; but I still want a Challenger SRT8 with a manual transmission just for the "fun factor". I've had some fast (for their day) cars, such as a 1987 Firebird Formula 350 and then a 1990 Thunderbird SC (factory Supercharged V6). Both were purchased used and my main criteria was the condition of the car, and since I couldn't specify I ended up with automatics on both. I really wanted a T-Bird SC with a 5 speed, but could not find one in decent condition. So if I am able to buy a new Challenger it will definitely have a manual. Now if I decide to do the sensible thing and wait 5 years for a used one at half price, I'll settle for an automatic if the car is in flawless condition.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Makes complete sense if that's what you want. For a dedicated "play" car I would opt for a stick too. But for my daily driver it's just not something I want.

And since I got out of the car show scene and into boating, I can't afford to have a nice daily driver and another play car! :)

I really really want a Challenger though..... :)

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
And since I got out of the car show scene and into boating, I can't afford to have a nice daily driver and another play car! :)

I really really want a Challenger though..... :)

Oh yeah I've got one of those "holes in the water to throw piles of money into" as well :biggrin: But hey I live within 3 miles of one of the most beautiful lakes in the world ( Lake Coeur d'alene, Idaho) so I GOTTA have a boat !

I really really want a Challenger too; but not enough to give up the 300C (or the boat). I am considering selling my 1957 T-Bird however, which should come pretty close to paying for a Challenger. Just not sure it makes sense to get rid of a car that is holding it's value for one that will depreciate!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oh yeah I've got one of those "holes in the water to throw piles of money into" as well :biggrin: But hey I live within 3 miles of one of the most beautiful lakes in the world ( Lake Coeur d'alene, Idaho) so I GOTTA have a boat !

I really really want a Challenger too; but not enough to give up the 300C (or the boat). I am considering selling my 1957 T-Bird however, which should come pretty close to paying for a Challenger. Just not sure it makes sense to get rid of a car that is holding it's value for one that will depreciate!
If you sell that T-bird to buy a Challenger, then I'm gonna have to make a special trip to Idaho to slap you silly. :smashfrea You have one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Don't make the mistake of getting rid of it....unless you want to sell it to me real cheap. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I also want a bigger cruiser... The boat would win out over the car :)

I need a second job! (and maybe a third..) LOL

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
If you sell that T-bird to buy a Challenger, then I'm gonna have to make a special trip to Idaho to slap you silly. :smashfrea You have one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Don't make the mistake of getting rid of it....unless you want to sell it to me real cheap. :biggrin:

For your viewing pleasure Dave :biggrin:

These were from a couple car shows last summer; sorry about the crappy cell phone picture quality. The T-Bird's name is "Woodstock" by the way; named after the little yellow bird from the "Peanuts" comics.

And you're right; it has been in my family since 1969, and was completely restored (body off frame) in 1993. It's just that I don't fit in it or see out of it real well and it drives like.....well it drives like a 1957 Ford! But it's fun to cruise in summer with the top off, and take to local car shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
For your viewing pleasure Dave :biggrin:

These were from a couple car shows last summer; sorry about the crappy cell phone picture quality. The T-Bird's name is "Woodstock" by the way; named after the little yellow bird from the "Peanuts" comics.

And you're right; it has been in my family since 1969, and was completely restored (body off frame) in 1993. It's just that I don't fit in it or see out of it real well and it drives like.....well it drives like a 1957 Ford! But it's fun to cruise in summer with the top off, and take to local car shows.
It's funny that you mention "Woodstock". I live right next to Woodstock, IL. I spent plenty of time there for 6 years while I was in the National Guard since that is where our infantry unit was based. The movie "Groundhog Day" was filmed there. I actually met Bill Murray after one of my Guard weekends while they were still filming in 1992.

Is the yellow the original color? That sure is a purty car.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Is the yellow the original color? That sure is a purty car.
Yes that's the original color; and Thanks for the compliment! Ok I guess I'll keep it a while longer; I'll wait for the Challenger's value to drop like a rock like my 300C has and buy a used one then. Unless I win the powerball jackpot tomorrow ($173 million). :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts