Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Autoblog.com

Now your ECU can talk to your phone!

Posted Oct 29, 2005, 1:00 PM ET by Stuart Waterman
Related entries: Gadgets

Vital engineering smartphone 250

U.K.-based Vital Engineering has one of the coolest automotive diagnostic packages out there - a plug-in OBD-II Bluetooth transmitter, and the “VitalScan” diagnostic software package for your laptop PC, PocketPC, or Palm handheld. Its PC and handheld products have been out for a while, but this week they launched a beta release of VitalScan for Windows Mobile Smartphones (see screenshot at right).

The software displays live diagnostic sensor data, reads (and clears) diagnostic trouble codes, clears the “check engine” light, includes a 0 to 100 km/h performance timer, records sensor data, and as they say on TV, “much, much more!” The Smartphone version also supports sending OBD data to a remote user.

Seriously, this is a nice piece of kit, as they say in the U.K. Priced at about $355 for the Bluetooth OBD plug-in transmitter and PC/PocketPC/Palm/WIn Mobile Smartphone software.

I thought testers and techeads would find this interesting

Zilla

HERE

·
Registered
162 Posts
goddardzilla said:
From Autoblog.com

Now your ECU can talk to your phone!

Posted Oct 29, 2005, 1:00 PM ET by Stuart Waterman
Related entries: Gadgets

Vital engineering smartphone 250

U.K.-based Vital Engineering has one of the coolest automotive diagnostic packages out there - a plug-in OBD-II Bluetooth transmitter, and the “VitalScan” diagnostic software package for your laptop PC, PocketPC, or Palm handheld. Its PC and handheld products have been out for a while, but this week they launched a beta release of VitalScan for Windows Mobile Smartphones (see screenshot at right).

The software displays live diagnostic sensor data, reads (and clears) diagnostic trouble codes, clears the “check engine” light, includes a 0 to 100 km/h performance timer, records sensor data, and as they say on TV, “much, much more!” The Smartphone version also supports sending OBD data to a remote user.

Seriously, this is a nice piece of kit, as they say in the U.K. Priced at about $355 for the Bluetooth OBD plug-in transmitter and PC/PocketPC/Palm/WIn Mobile Smartphone software.

I thought testers and techeads would find this interesting

Zilla

HERE
I'm not sure about this product but most OBD-II (CAN) readers have not been updated to work with the new HEMI's. Our CAN bus tosses in some extra non standard data that crashes out most OBD-II readers. I don't know of any that will work with Chrysler's enhanced data other then the factory.

Scangauge works but has limited functionality.
obd-2.com does not have Chrysler enhanced data.
auterraweb does not work on our cars.
autotap claims they have Chrysler Enhanced Data Upgrade but when I called them they say the Enhanced data won't work with CAN or the hemi 5-7-6.1's.
I left a few out that also won't work including a few other off brand ODB-II ISO and CAN readers.

Has anyone found a OBD-II scanner that works on our CAN bus and works with Chryslers enhanced powertrain data?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
300C_AWD said:
I'm not sure about this product but most OBD-II (CAN) readers have not been updated to work with the new HEMI's. Our CAN bus tosses in some extra non standard data that crashes out most OBD-II readers. I don't know of any that will work with Chrysler's enhanced data other then the factory.

Scangauge works but has limited functionality.
obd-2.com does not have Chrysler enhanced data.
auterraweb does not work on our cars.
autotap claims they have Chrysler Enhanced Data Upgrade but when I called them they say the Enhanced data won't work with CAN or the hemi 5-7-6.1's.
I left a few out that also won't work including a few other off brand ODB-II ISO and CAN readers.

Has anyone found a OBD-II scanner that works on our CAN bus and works with Chryslers enhanced powertrain data?
That's fair comment, and seeing as I started the thread I have emailed Vital Engineering to see if the have a definitive answer.

I obviously hope that it has Hemi code readability, however if not, the reader is so cool that if it functions with other non-hemi vehicles or non-CAN that Forum members own it should be worth a look.

If and when Vital replies I will post more.

Zilla

·
Registered
917 Posts
Vital Website

goddardzilla said:
That's fair comment, and seeing as I started the thread I have emailed Vital Engineering to see if the have a definitive answer.

I obviously hope that it has Hemi code readability, however if not, the reader is so cool that if it functions with other non-hemi vehicles or non-CAN that Forum members own it should be worth a look.

Zilla
Here's the Vital website with lots of info but no mention of Chrysler OBDII :

http://www.vitalengineering.co.uk/

Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Here's MY Answer

goddardzilla said:

Zilla
Here is the answer I received:

"Hello Bob

Firstly thank you for your interest in our product.

Currently we only support the ISO 9141 and KWP 2000 protocols which excludes Can bus support. But we are working on a CAN version."

Too bad. Maybe they will come up with one. It looks neat! Regards, Bob.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My answer was a bit more elaborate:

From Vital Engineering:

Currently we only support the ISO 9141 and KWP 2000 protocols which excludes Can bus support.

But we are working on a CAN version. If you or your forum are able to advise on the point that "CAN bus tosses in some extra non standard data that crashes out most OBD-II readers" I would be pleased to look into the matter. I'd need a bit more detail where possible. I could even take up the matter with other scan tool manufacturers to make sure you guys get the tools you need for your vehicles.

I am currently working on Can so it may be an opportune time to get the request in to me. It may be that I can design in a solution for any issues you have encountered.
So 300C_AWD the door is open!

It seems that they are very willing to work with us. Now if you want to get in touch with this guy to supply him some specifics PM me, and I'll introduce you.

Zilla

·
Registered
86 Posts
Someone should point him in the direction of the CAN-hack forums...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts