Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am strongly considering a 2012-2103 300 SRT 8. I had a 2005 300 C 5.7 and got rid of it with 135K miles and now have a 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6.

My 2005 5.7 C averaged about 19-21 MPG (70 percent highway) and best MPG (100 % highway) was 25 MPG.

The Genesis averages about 21-24 miles per gallon (70 % highway) and best MPG (100% highway) is 27.5 MPG. The R spec 5.0 get's similar numbers with the 8 speed trans.

I am happy with the Hyundai and the 2012 R spec is a really nice car however the 2012-2103 SRT 8 is so bad ass........

I drive over 20K miles a year and wanted to get feedback about the SRT 8 as a daily driver; if all season tires work in the Midwest winters (They did work for me with the 2005 300 C and the Hyundai 4.6) and most importantly gas mileage.

Without beating on the car, do you think 18-19 MPG with (70% highway) and 23-25 MPG (100 % highway) is realistic for the 2nd generation SRT 8 ?

Let me know

Museman

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,567 Posts
Realistic? Yes. But as you may know, mileage varies due to a lot of variables, such as state of tune, driver inputs, ambient conditions, fuel quality, etc...

My CMR tuned 6.1L engine gets upwards of 24+ MPG on road trips but in daily driving only around 14 to 15. But I know why...I have a very heavy right foot. Can't fix that problem.

But I think your expectations are realistic but not guaranteed.

YMMV...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am strongly considering a 2012-2103 300 SRT 8. I had a 2005 300 C 5.7 and got rid of it with 135K miles and now have a 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6.

My 2005 5.7 C averaged about 19-21 MPG (70 percent highway) and best MPG (100 % highway) was 25 MPG.

The Genesis averages about 21-24 miles per gallon (70 % highway) and best MPG (100% highway) is 27.5 MPG. The R spec 5.0 get's similar numbers with the 8 speed trans.

I am happy with the Hyundai and the 2012 R spec is a really nice car however the 2012-2103 SRT 8 is so bad ass........

I drive over 20K miles a year and wanted to get feedback about the SRT 8 as a daily driver; if all season tires work in the Midwest winters (They did work for me with the 2005 300 C and the Hyundai 4.6) and most importantly gas mileage.

Without beating on the car, do you think 18-19 MPG with (70% highway) and 23-25 MPG (100 % highway) is realistic for the 2nd generation SRT 8 ?

Let me know

Museman
Yes, most definitely. I have a 25 mile hike to work there and then 25 back. it's 95% highway. My average MPG is around 19, and that is with me having fun with her. I'm assuming it would be around 20/22 if i kept cruise control on ect.. But in all reality if you are worried about gas mileage for a car with a sticker price of $55k+ then maybe you should adjust your priorities?? idk.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I had a 06 300C with the 5.7 and in my short drives it averaged about 16 around town and no better than 21 on a trip. My 12 300 SRT gets around 17-18 around town with the same driving habits. Haven't had it on a trip yet, but I expect better than the 06 did.

·
Have to be odd to be No.1
7,943 Posts
and 23-25 MPG (100 % highway) is realistic for the 2nd generation SRT 8 ?

Let me know

Museman
For it to get that low, you would need to be well over the posted speed limit.

Cruising at 75 mph you will get around 29 MPG.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I travel about 150km a day on a mix of mountain roads and highway (40/60) and average using the cruise control 11-12 litres to 100km regularly with no problem. If you what to have fun expect 14-16 litres to 100km

·
7,943 Posts
I travel about 150km a day on a mix of mountain roads and highway (40/60) and average using the cruise control 11-12 litres to 100km regularly with no problem. If you what to have fun expect 14-16 litres to 100km
And if the road begs for it, you can get it off the chart.

Sorry just remembered you were trying to save fuel.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I noticed the difference from going from a 5.7 to the new 6.4 and it is a lot more lol. On a highway drive I get around 9.ltrs per 100 klms around town or city driving it is more like 20 Ltrs. to 22 ltrs. per 100 klms I only do very short trips and a lot of stop starting around the town / city so that makes it worse. To be honest if your going to buy a 6.4 why worry about fuel consumption. Just buy a diesel and expect around high 6 ltrs per 100 klms. You will need to do the conversion to Gallons per miles lol. Having said the above if you just cruise along the high way and are doing big mileage your going to get a good result and still have a lot of power under the right foot. Good luck
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have to put all my receipts into my tracking sheet one day. I track mileage, always fill up, and also jot down the car's fuel numbers and reset both that and the trip odo every fill up. THat being said, I know I get horrible mileage around town, but we've seen 26 indicated on some road trips.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have to put all my receipts into my tracking sheet one day. I track mileage, always fill up, and also jot down the car's fuel numbers and reset both that and the trip odo every fill up. THat being said, I know I get horrible mileage around town, but we've seen 26 indicated on some road trips.
I am the same as you are I use Fuelly.com it is a great and easy way to keep up with what fuel and the cost are over time and best of all it is a free service all you need to do is update each time via your computer.
Cheers
Geoff

·
7,943 Posts
I am the same as you are I use Fuelly.com it is a great and easy way to keep up with what fuel and the cost are over time and best of all it is a free service all you need to do is update each time via your computer.
Cheers
Geoff
Do they list all octanes?
Not sure I see the sense in going out of your way to save 3 or 4 cents a litre. Plus I will only use 1 brand of fuel anyway

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Do they list all octanes?
Not sure I see the sense in going out of your way to save 3 or 4 cents a litre. Plus I will only use 1 brand of fuel anyway
Hi Daryl,
I only ever use 98 Octane , I have never worried about fuel economy and if I did I would have bought a V6 Petrol or diesel not the 6.4 Hemi lol. :smokin::smokin::fart:
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
For the OP, I'm pretty much getting the numbers you're expecting... On my commute into work (50+ mi, and always in a hurry), I'm on her a little, sometimes in sport mode, and my mpg drops just a tad. But in the evening when I'm pretty much mellowed out, tired from my day, I lay off of her a bit, using the Adaptive CC, then my mpg climbs steadily up near 19-20...not to mention if I keep it under 70mph (for the most part), then I'm seeing into the low-to-mid 20s easily (new ECO gas saver technology really helps out on the new 6.4). Might I add as a side note though, if you're THAT worried about saving on gas, you might not want to burden yourself. I've owned two large GM SUVs over the last six years and I'm getting better mpg than both of those on average... Tahoe #1 was 14-15, mixed driving; Tahoe #2 was a little better w/ the 6-speed @ about 16+. Hope that helps... Your call! But would love to see you join the club--good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see an average of 19 fir mixed driving, on long road trips I think we saw 23 on our Ohio to Florida trip. I drove both the r-spec and srt before buying my srt. They really are two different class of car. If I based it solely on comfort I'd get the r-spec. All around good fun, srt!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
293 Posts
I get max 430km / 267 miles per tank... not the best...got me looking for a winter car lol

(just saw the title .. i dont have a 2012 LOL)...

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I've been driving mine very sedate lately around town, and it's up to 18.7 on the display. Oddly enough, that's the same mileage my wife gets with her 13 Sahara V6 Manual trans. I'm happy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an OCD habbit of calculating mine after every fillup, and my 6.4 gets right at about 17 with 93 octane and 50/50 highway. On a loong road trip cruising at about 85 and gentle throttle I got 23.
BUT. Nobody buys this car for gas mileage ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts