Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. This question is aimed at anyone who has replaced one of their rear ABS tone rings, and also to the guys at the custom 300C shop.

I have recently had all the ABS, TC,BAS & ESP lights come on in the car. Petman performed a code reading for me over at Manchester a few weeks ago and diagnosed it as the left rear tone ring. Just to make sure I took it all apart and sure enough the tone ring was virtually destroyed, only a few small pieces of material on the metal backing ring. These remaining pieces looked to have very slight teeth type protrusions running across the outer edge. Having scoured the internet for replacements, two sellers came up, one being our friends at the custom 300c shop and another. The other seller claims to have the rings coated in a corrosion proof coating and they carry a 10 year guarentee, however the "teeth" are not present. The surface is really smooth.

My question is: are these "teeth" still there under the corrosion proof coating, or are these tone rings different and would I be better off sourcing one more like the original?

Thanks for reading, and all comments are welcome.

·
Registered
654 Posts
the teeth are not visable until it has been used teeth are magnets and show up with metallic dust particles ie rust hope that helps.

Roy

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Keith, did it come with fitting instructions? How did you put it on? Did the lights reset on their own?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
623 Posts
Garage fitted it for me, seem to remember they said it was difficult to get it to stay in place but not sure what they did.

The lights did not go out, the codes had to be cleared to allow this to happen.

Keith

·
Registered
654 Posts
last time the one i did lights rest there self no probs (fitted full drive shaft tone ring wasnt available on own at time)

Roy

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

So, after Petman's reading saying "Rear left performance difference" I have changed the tone ring. The lights didn't go out after a couple of days so I disconnected the battery. Still no change so I bought a code reader. I now have two DTC's - Steering angle sensor (I'm guessing due to the battery being disconnected) and real left implausible wheel speed. When I try to erase the codes the car bongs and the parking brake warning light flashes. The reader says that the codes have been erased but the warning lights stay on and then when I rescan the DTS's are still there. Anyone got any idea what's going on? :confused:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Best idea is to come along to KK meet on Sunday and see Petman - there are code readers and then there are code readers

Some can extinguish codes better than others

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
The steering angle can normally be reset buy turning from lock to lock and back to centre. Have you replaced the wheel sensor as well, that could throw up the same code if its faulty.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
The lock to lock wouldn't work on my 2006 when i had that error after a battery outage. Had to go on a starscan at the stealer.

I agree ^^^^^. The lock to lock thingy with the steering wheel does not work to initialise the steering angle sensor on the later models. It may reset itself after a few trips. Mine did anyway.

It is supposed to work on the early models but sometimes it appears not to.

Jack

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The steering angle can normally be reset buy turning from lock to lock and back to centre. Have you replaced the wheel sensor as well, that could throw up the same code if its faulty.
I thought that a faulty sensor would throw a code such as " Wheel sensor circuit fault" or something similar.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Best idea is to come along to KK meet on Sunday and see Petman - there are code readers and then there are code readers

Some can extinguish codes better than others
Unfortunately I'm working this month so I can't make it. The next one I can attend is May but Petman is away racing. On the upside, I updated the code reader last night so I'll have another go tomorrow. I've learned that sometimes until a DTC is cleared, sometimes it somehow blocks the system from functioning properly. The one thing I'm unsure about is how long it takes to clear. Should it be instantaneous or should I wait a while (till the parking brake light stops flaying maybe?) My disco used to take ages especially if I was making changes such as enabling speed locking etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update

So today I managed to clear all the DTC's. The steering angle sensor error, the ABS error and one for the transmission which is related to the ABS error. Took it for a spin and the ABS errors returned. On live data it was showing a rear left wheel speed of 8190rpm. This value was constant regardless of the vehicle speed. I have a replacement tone ring on the way and if the issue persists once it is fitted, then I will try a new sensor.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
If you have already replaced the ring I would go for trying the sensor now unless you damaged the first tone ring fitting it. Someone else on here changed the tone rings and it turned out to be a faulty sensor.

You could try swapping the sensor with the opposite side and see if the error changes side.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have already replaced the ring I would go for trying the sensor now unless you damaged the first tone ring fitting it. Someone else on here changed the tone rings and it turned out to be a faulty sensor.

You could try swapping the sensor with the opposite side and see if the error changes side.
Cheers Simon, I was under the impression that they were different from side to side as they are listed seperately on ebay.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I changed the speed sensor this morning after Petman offered to buy it if it turned out that it wasn't a part of the problem. Sorry Martin but after clearing the codes all is now well. No lights on, cruise restored and changing gear at sensible rpms. Happy (Easter) bunny.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts