Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 12k service done & was told I needed new rear brake pads. What! Tell me this is not normal. Car was bought as a demo with 5k on it so not sure of the history, just wondering what everybody else was getting from theirs. $680 for a new set but the dealer was excellent & after a bit of light discussion agreed to replace them under warranty.

Secondly, near side rear is wearing on the inside, I'm sure there is a bit of lateral movement on the wheel. I'll go to the dealer in a month or so about this. Any thoughts or experiences on this one. Maybe it's the way I'm gunning away from every set of lights. Can't help myself even at my age!

Good to get some feedback on either of these.

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
As far as the rear pads are concerned, it's great your dealer is replacing them under warranty. The OEM pads are VERY expensive. If the dust doesn't concern you it looks like you're all set. If dust is a problem, DaveZ is the way to go. He's a supporting vendon here and has the Centric Posi Quiet pads available.

One thing to note is check your rotors (front and back). If there's any scoring there's a TSB that covers pads and the new slotted rotors all the way around regardless if there's only one rotor affected. Depending on your build date you may already have the slotted ones though.

The reason the rear pads wear out faster is due to the brake lock differential, which acts like a LSD by applying braking to the spinning wheel. ESP also contributes greatly to this as well. I turn mine off in the city as a routine. If you're driving "spirited" the brakes will wear faster. It just goes with the territory.

While you're getting your brakes done, probably a good idea to get an alignment done using the latest specs from a Dec 07 TSB.

Bernie

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rambit explains a lot. Just checked, got the slotted rotors. I'll try it with the ESP off around the city as "spirited" driving is common. Still think 12k is pretty poor. Brakes have been done already but I'll be going back about the near side rear tyre wear. Are you saying the alignment TSB may fix this?

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
Thanks Rambit explains a lot. Just checked, got the slotted rotors. I'll try it with the ESP off around the city as "spirited" driving is common. Still think 12k is pretty poor. Brakes have been done already but I'll be going back about the near side rear tyre wear. Are you saying the alignment TSB may fix this?
I'm having a little difficulty intrepreting what you mean by "near side". Does that mean the outside of your rear tires? Some have gone to allignment shops to get better allignments that differ from what the TSB specs calls for. I don't know a whole lot about that though. The fronts are notorious for outside tire wear too. One thing for sure is if you have the F1 tires you'll be needing a new rear set before the uneven tire wear becomes a problem...haha. I only got 10,000 miles out of my rears with "spirited" driving!

Bernie

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no more money on tyres, tough thing for a Scotsman spending cash. Near side is the side nearest the kerb, being the left in Oz (not sure of your location). Off side is the road side. Tyre wear is on the inside of the left rear only. I thought if it was caused by spirited driving it might produce an even wear. Could it possible have something to do with the wheel bearing?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
MrVelvet raised a comprehensive thread about what he considered to be excessive wear on the rear pads, here in the Aussie section. Do a search and you will find there is good reading.

I have the Posi pads the same a Rambit. They do take a little more effort to stop when cold but they seem to be the best all rounders for the SRT8.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hemi57, found the thread, interesting. Can't find anything on the outcome of MrVelvet & warranty claim or whether he had to change the pads at 24K again. Does anyone know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts