Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it twice now that right after I put the 300C AWD car in reverse, after the car has not been in use over night or sitting for over 2 hours - I travel about 6-10 ft and hear a clunk noise like I hit something or ran over something. Any ideas - transmission issue?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well my 300C SRT8 has done the same thing you have described twice as well but only when it was really cold.
When I was in Vegas in the winter, I had it parked overnight and next morning when I was backing up turned the wheel, it made a clunking noise and felt like it ran over something as well.
I believe the clunk comes from the steering link.
The dealership said that due to my lowering of the car, it slightly changed the geometry of the steering linkage.

Unless your cause comes from just backing up straight without turning the wheel, I don't think it has anything to do with the transmission.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
mine too......in fact both my 300Cs - and my previous Subaru - its 'backlash' in the transmission components - annoying but not destructive

My Subaru dealer said on 4x4 to drive in the tightest circle possible as quick as possible for 2 x 360 degrees, then do the same in reverse

·
Registered
223 Posts
i can tell you that in the all wheel drive models....if you are moving in reverse and shift to drive (which works with no issue in a 2wd) it will clunk like its jumping large toothed gears. my awd does this also, but only if i shift to D while still moving. i now shift to N and then D when stopped. works perfectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts