Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
19,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's the same for me...I can get to the whiz bangs but I don't have to live right in the middle of them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I swapped in a 12 getrag with the 226mm axles. Works well. If you piece it together it shouldn't cost more then $1500 in parts. All the parts for mine including the bolts, spacers, & the little things needed, was $1237. Install was another $250.
I was going to go with the Wavetrac or another LSD unit, & better axles, but some advise I got was these are very hard to setup right. You need someone that knows what they are doing or you'll get whine, & breakage in little time.
The DSS stuff is good but way to much $ I think. I have no plans of 600hp though. Can't afford that.

·
Administrator
19,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
DSS is up there in price but there are specials, overstocks, etc...available if ya know who to call. Since I'm going to 600 & beyond I may just settle for some 1,000 HP axles and not ever have to worry about it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
How long would that take? I am wondering if I can quickly swap one at a scrap yard a friend owns.. lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
Damit.. A lot more than I thought...

·
Administrator
19,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh yeah...you basically end up removing and reinstalling a considerable portion of the rear suspension and suspension cradle. It has to do with how the rear independent suspension is constructed around that cradle which holds the differential in place. Then ya gotta get it all lined up properly when reinstalling or you will have considerable alignment issues.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I swapped in a 12 getrag with the 226mm axles. Works well. If you piece it together it shouldn't cost more then $1500 in parts. All the parts for mine including the bolts, spacers, & the little things needed, was $1237. Install was another $250.
I was going to go with the Wavetrac or another LSD unit, & better axles, but some advise I got was these are very hard to setup right. You need someone that knows what they are doing or you'll get whine, & breakage in little time.
The DSS stuff is good but way to much $ I think. I have no plans of 600hp though. Can't afford that.
You sir are correct. Got my 3.91 Getrag and all parts needed $1275. It's out of a 2010 Challenger 6spd. Still waiting to receive the rear driveshaft. Did you replace the rear cradle bushings? I'm trying to decide if I really should spend the $ and replace them at the same time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
19,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I will be replacing the rear cradle bushings while mine is out. I figure I will need to and why pull the cradle a second time to do it later?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Did you replace the rear cradle bushings?
Nope. The installer is so good & has done so many he doesn't need to touch them to install a rear end or the axles.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Getrag is borderline above 600 to 650 rwhp... but I'd still go this route, run it as long as you can and then put in a Wavetrac. Plus the 226 pumpkin won't need to be modified like your 215 pumpkin.

Gforce level 5 axles are what I went with; i-n-d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-b-l-e (lifetime warranty if they do break :doh:) More than what I need right now but they were (are) on sale and were the same price as the "lesser" axles.

I will be replacing the rear cradle bushings while mine is out. I figure I will need to and why pull the cradle a second time to do it later?
Considered the solid cradle bushings?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know I am pushing the limits of what the stock trans will take so I'll be looking into transmission builds as well. I have a few friends out here that have done similar upgrades to their cars and one has a shop here...who is also an authorized DiabloSport CMR tuner. He's been through the engine/transmission/differential build more than a few times by now and I'm reaching out to him as well.
Could u connect me with your buddy I need a new srt8 differential and don’t know where I should get it and which one

21 - 36 of 36 Posts