Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot online about upgrading the rear differential in these cars. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for me to do the 09 axles and hubs or just save up for the full getrag setup. My mods are listed I. My signature and I plan on running a drag radial when I go to the track. At this point I have 4 choices

1 leave it stock

2 stock differential with 09rt hubs and axles

3 upgraded lsd in the stock 215 housing and 09 axles and hubs

4 save up and do the full getrag conversion

·
Administrator
19,617 Posts
I see no mods or signature so am not sure what you are running now for those.

My preference would be the full boat getrag or Wavetrac conversion. However, there's no reason to not go with thehupgraded LSD in the stock housing with 09 axles and hubs unless you plan on 500 RWHP or more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see no mods or signature so am not sure what you are running now for those.

My preference would be the full boat getrag or Wavetrac conversion. However, there's no reason to not go with the upgraded LSD in the stock housing with 09 axles and hubs unless you plan on 500 RWHP or more.
the carhas borla long tubes, corsa exhaust, lmi cold air, diablosport tuner. im gonna be installing a tranzformer soon as well as a proper dyno tune the car wont be seeing much more modification wise then this. i just want to be able to take it to the track on a drag radial without breaking the differential/axles. if the stock housing is strong enough i will just do the axle upgrade for now and save up for the wavetrac diff.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
My car has over 200 passes, all on street tires. if you use drag radials and manage to really hook the car up there will be carnage!

The lsd does nothing at the strip, it is a great mod but not for drag racers...

·
Registered
243 Posts
the carhas borla long tubes, corsa exhaust, lmi cold air, diablosport tuner. im gonna be installing a tranzformer soon as well as a proper dyno tune the car wont be seeing much more modification wise then this. i just want to be able to take it to the track on a drag radial without breaking the differential/axles. if the stock housing is strong enough i will just do the axle upgrade for now and save up for the wavetrac diff.
Any reason to think that your setup produces over 400 rwhp?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Assuming you have an SRT because of your name. A 09 up axle conversion to your stock 215MM diff will do you no good. I am almost 100% sure the axles in the 09 up 5.7 cars were made to the same 215MM thickness. Otherwise, SRT cars were the same.

I see the only option here is install a LSD and you have an option of buying stronger axles, or getting a getrag, and using the stock stronger axles or upgrading those.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
09 R/T axles and hubs are plenty.... they will hold you over to 500rwhp which is a good 100hp away. LSD is fun but not a huge deal breaker either... do the axles and later as your mods increase start worrying about doing a getrag. I am at close to 500rwhp on my race pulley and tune and am solid in the 11's running a stock open diff...

Reactions: CNISTER

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Assuming you have an SRT because of your name. A 09 up axle conversion to your stock 215MM diff will do you no good. I am almost 100% sure the axles in the 09 up 5.7 cars were made to the same 215MM thickness. Otherwise, SRT cars were the same.

I see the only option here is install a LSD and you have an option of buying stronger axles, or getting a getrag, and using the stock stronger axles or upgrading those.
Not quite pal... 09 manual R/T axles run much tougher splines on the hub end (the weak spot) and require.new hubs... they handle roughly 500rwhp which is much greater than stock 05-08 SRT axles... ;-)

·
Administrator
19,617 Posts
09 R/T axles and hubs are plenty.... they will hold you over to 500rwhp which is a good 100hp away. LSD is fun but not a huge deal breaker either... do the axles and later as your mods increase start worrying about doing a getrag. I am at close to 500rwhp on my race pulley and tune and am solid in the 11's running a stock open diff...
Yeah, but we know you are an adrenaline seeking maniac, just waiting for that stock open diff to blow to smithereens... >:D

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Yeah, but we know you are an adrenaline seeking maniac, just waiting for that stock open diff to blow to smithereens... >:D
Well... there is that! ::wink::

Man I think you guys know me too well! lol...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey SRT8Dan, maybe I just missed the point. Why do you want to upgrade the rear differential? Are you concerned about snapping a axle?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Not quite pal... 09 manual R/T axles run much tougher splines on the hub end (the weak spot) and require.new hubs... they handle roughly 500rwhp which is much greater than stock 05-08 SRT axles... ;-)
Ahh, good to know! They are still 215MM though correct?

I have a feeling I am going to be snapping a axle or two this summer....:serious:

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
What motor does a SRT8 Design have? 5.7 340 brake HP?
Well, they say 350 due to the better flowing exhaust.

But yes a 5.7, its basically a Road and Track optioned Charger or a Daytona Charger without the numbered cars. A little more sporty than a typical 300c.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, they say 350 due to the better flowing exhaust.

But yes a 5.7, its basically a Road and Track optioned Charger or a Daytona Charger without the numbered cars. A little more sporty than a typical 300c.
Not trying to steal the thread from the OP, and hopefully addressing his concerns too. If you are in the 350 flywheel HP that should be in the 300 rwhp range. I suspect SRT8Dan can't be more than 400 rwhp. The axles in the SRT8 should take close to 500 rwhp. Does your SRT8 Design use the same Differential and half shaft as a standard SRT8?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2007 300C SRT8
440 Stroker 671 rwhp /628 rwtq

Balanced, Blueprinted and professionally built by SpankinTime. Darton Racing sleeves, Diamond billet racing pistons. Machined in Piston oil squirters, Melling Hi-Perf. Oil Pump, Stage 3 Blower Cam, Ported heads, Vortech V3 SI Supercharger, 87mm Throttle body, 80lbs injectors, KB Boost-a-pump, Kooks long tube headers, Corsa extreme exhaust, cat delete, Mopar performance TCM, 2,300 rpm Stall converter.
Michelin Pilot Super Sports (295/30ZR20 rear 255/30ZR30 front)

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Trust me... on drag radials you can snap stock axles at far less than 500rwhp! My first one let go on a night I was making 12.7-9 passes with far less than 500 at the rears bud. The 09 manual R/T axles will stop that worry if your running drag radials. The open diffs however are good for 500rwhp with no concern. The key here is drag radials... they are awfully hard on the splines at the hub.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys for your input. im not quite sure where i am hp wise at the wheels but im sure after the tune ill be approaching the 400 mark. im going to do the 09 axle upgrade for now and save up for the full getrag setup. i dont go to the track alot but for the few times a year i do go ill be on a radial and i'd rather be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Trust me... on drag radials you can snap stock axles at far less than 500rwhp!
Wow, that sucks. I have always been told that our half shafts can take up to 500 HP, but I'll trust the guy with the broken ones to prove it!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2007 300C SRT8

Balanced, Blueprinted and professionally built by SpankinTime. Darton Racing sleeves, Diamond billet racing pistons. Machined in Piston oil squirters, Melling Hi-Perf. Oil Pump, Stage 3 Blower Cam, Ported heads, Vortech V3 SI Supercharger, 87mm Throttle body, 80lbs injectors, KB Boost-a-pump, Kooks long tube headers, Corsa extreme exhaust, cat delete, Mopar performance TCM, 2,300 rpm Stall converter.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
HAHA! Right! That's where I get my input as well, if someone says, 'But Chrysler tells me...' I usually don't hear the whole statement before thinking 'Well I'm going to try it anyway!'... but if I'm standing there looking at a guy with a piece of piston in his hand, I tend to trust that guy when he says 'don't try this at home...'.

::wink::

Wow, that sucks. I have always been told that our half shafts can take up to 500 HP, but I'll trust the guy with the broken ones to prove it!

2007 300C SRT8

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
still no solid answer for a actual bearing that works

1 - 20 of 33 Posts