Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise coming from the rear suspension of my 2005 AWD 300C. It sounds like the trunk lid is bouncing or there is something loose rolling around in the trunk. After checking the trunk and ruling out any issues there, I listened more carefully and it seems the noise is coming from around the passenger side rear wheel. It is not constant and only seems to follow bumps with a couple of rattling thuds and pretty much goes away at highway speeds. Looking thru other posts in the forum on this subject, it sounds like it could be a bad shock absorber or a worn bushing. My question is how do I test to determine what needs to be fixed or replaced? I only have 40,000 miles on the car so I'm surprised either would be bad. :disappoin

Can I test the shock absorber by removing it and then taking a test drive to see if the noise goes away? If it does then problem isolated? If it is still there, how do I test the bushings to find which one might be bad?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to isolate and fix this problem. Thanks. :lmao::sigh1:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
^^^I hear ya brother. I got the same rattle sound in the rear. ANNOYING. It's a lighter sound - not a heavy clunk, right? I am taking it in to a buddy to check: rear shocks, mounts and the CV joints (other problems). As well as the front ties. I will let you know what I find out - may be a few weeks.

It def. happens over light bumps in the road - not highway.

Oh, one thing to check: the emergency parking cable runs through holes in the frame and sometimes rattles about; zip tie that thing down. That wasn't my issue though. I suspect the shock on the drivers side in my case.

Keep me posted!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
19,606 Posts
Make sure the trunk vents are still in place, both sides, behind the trunk liner just behind the wheel well.

Check your battery and make sure it's fastened down properly.

Lastly, get under the car and make sure your exhaust hangers are still properly hooked to the rubber mountings.

Generally inspect things under there, move things around to insure all is tight and in it's proper place.

After all that, bounce the car. Push down hard to get the suspension and shock to move and listen.

One thing that I like to try and check is the shock bolt and nut to make sure they are tight (top and bottom), plus I inspect the shock mount bushing (top and bottom) and the lower coil spring to make sure the rubber isolator is not damaged and that the spring is secure in the pocket.

Bushings take a bit longer and is best done while the car is on a lift.

Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MADDOG - I will check out these items. The trunk vents are a new item that I have not seen or heard of before. :pat:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I finally got under the car and gave it a thorough check. Everything seemed tight and in place. My next step was to remove the suspect shock absorber to see if it was behind the noise. I removed it and then took a test drive and wahlah, no noise. Problem isolated. Before reinstalling the shock, I exercised it a bit and it seemed to be solid. I also gave the top a few twists just for good measure and to hopefully put back a little different than it came off. After reinstalling the shock, guess what? No more noise. :biglaugh: :cool3: So. at least for now it looks like it may have just been loose and needed a little tightening up. :fingersx:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
So, I finally got under the car and gave it a thorough check. Everything seemed tight and in place. My next step was to remove the suspect shock absorber to see if it was behind the noise. I removed it and then took a test drive and wahlah, no noise. Problem isolated. Before reinstalling the shock, I exercised it a bit and it seemed to be solid. I also gave the top a few twists just for good measure and to hopefully put back a little different than it came off. After reinstalling the shock, guess what? No more noise. :biglaugh: :cool3: So. at least for now it looks like it may have just been loose and needed a little tightening up. :fingersx:
Great post. I suspect my rear end noise is the same.
So, maybe a dumb question: you removed the entire shock and drove it? I guess I didn't know you could do that. For me, I suspect it the drivers side rear shock. Is it simple to remove the shock? I see a bolt under the trunk carpet when it's pulled back. Remove that bold and I assume there is one under the car as well. Thanks for any help...

Reactions: nick345

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can drive the car without a shock. Its only purpose is to make the ride smoother by taking the bounce out of the suspension that the spring would cause. To remove it you don't need to access the top of the shock thru the trunk (unless the mounting has changed from 2005). You can remove the upper flange via the wheel well. There are two bolts that attach it to the frame and hold the top of the shock in place (up thru the trunk which is what you are seeing). You will need to jack up the car in order to compress the shock enough to remove it once it has been unbolted. Removing the tire is optional. You can do it without taking the tire off, but it is easier if the tire is out of the way. After removing the two upper bolts and the one lower bolt that secure the shock, grab the top of the shock in compress it down until the top mount clears the opening, then tilt it to the side to pull it out. Good luck and hopefully you find that it is still good and just loose. :arms:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
^^^awesome. Thanks for that.

The only reason I mention the top from the trunk is that when I put my sub in, I noticed a nut on a bolt and assumed it was for the shock.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
same issue....

Mines a 2007 300C SRT Design............

The same symptom I had except on the rear drivers side suspension noise.

It was a shock.....Do urself a favor and purchase your 300 stuff on the net----way less expensive than the MarkUp the stores do.

This is the same exact shock Canadian Tire wanted $690 for.....I paid $280 online bro.

40212.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a noise coming from the rear suspension of my 2005 AWD 300C. It sounds like the trunk lid is bouncing or there is something loose rolling around in the trunk. After checking the trunk and ruling out any issues there, I listened more carefully and it seems the noise is coming from around the passenger side rear wheel. It is not constant and only seems to follow bumps with a couple of rattling thuds and pretty much goes away at highway speeds. Looking thru other posts in the forum on this subject, it sounds like it could be a bad shock absorber or a worn bushing. My question is how do I test to determine what needs to be fixed or replaced? I only have 40,000 miles on the car so I'm surprised either would be bad. :disappoin

Can I test the shock absorber by removing it and then taking a test drive to see if the noise goes away? If it does then problem isolated? If it is still there, how do I test the bushings to find which one might be bad?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to isolate and fix this problem. Thanks. :lmao::sigh1:

I've had the same issue for 3 years since i bought my 2009 300c. It came with the rattle. Ive since replaced the sway bar links, shocks, ziptied or flex sealed anything that moved.. nothing worked..... Im happy to say ive finally found the fker. It was the bottom bolt on the rear shocks... they had come lose at some point and ground down some threads so they could never stay tight. I went to princess auto got 2 new similar bolts replaced them and bam she gone. No more fking rattle. So unbolt youre rear shock and check your lower bolt. If it looks messed up at all replace it. Metric m12 fits nicely if you get 1.75 pitch you can reuse the old nut. Youll want grade 8 bolts or higher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts