Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out if I'm too anal, or if my dealer's tint guy is just a putz.

After buying my SRT in mid July, noticed that the rear window tint was sort of striped, ie, it had 45 degree bias lines running across the tint that sort of made straight lines look crooked when viewed through the rearview mirror out the back window. Took the car back, the tint guy said that was normal given the close spacing of the rear window defogger lines in our cars. Not satisfied, I had the dealer order a re-do on that window (and on the driver's side front door due to some shoddy bubbles.)

Side door re-do was fine, but back window still is not. It's different, but not OK. Now the tint is just sort of funky -- makes looking through the back window look like you're looking through an old window in an old house, or an old stained glass window -- you know that sort of warped/distorted look. At a quick glance it's fine, but if you have the car stopped, and look at a straight line (the edge of a roof or sign for instance) and move your head around, there is all kinds of funkiness/smudging/petroleum jelly smeared on the window look.

Took it back to the dealer, the tint guy said "Sorry, pal, that's the best I can do." Dealer Sales Mgr said he'd make the guy re-do it, but I'm not sure what good that will do if the guy says he can't do any better. Sales Mgr and I went out to look at his demo 300, also tinted by the same guy, and it has the same issues.

Am I too picky, do all 300's have sort of smeared rear window tints, or is this tint guy just not that able? Should I have him do it a 3rd time? Take it somewhere else?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried once -- didn't work -- the problem's not that dramatic. It's more in the "annoying" category than "truly disfunctional".

I'll try again this weekend (after the dove opener . . .)

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
dux said:
Trying to figure out if I'm too anal, or if my dealer's tint guy is just a putz.

After buying my SRT in mid July, noticed that the rear window tint was sort of striped, ie, it had 45 degree bias lines running across the tint that sort of made straight lines look crooked when viewed through the rearview mirror out the back window. Took the car back, the tint guy said that was normal given the close spacing of the rear window defogger lines in our cars. Not satisfied, I had the dealer order a re-do on that window (and on the driver's side front door due to some shoddy bubbles.)

Side door re-do was fine, but back window still is not. It's different, but not OK. Now the tint is just sort of funky -- makes looking through the back window look like you're looking through an old window in an old house, or an old stained glass window -- you know that sort of warped/distorted look. At a quick glance it's fine, but if you have the car stopped, and look at a straight line (the edge of a roof or sign for instance) and move your head around, there is all kinds of funkiness/smudging/petroleum jelly smeared on the window look.

Took it back to the dealer, the tint guy said "Sorry, pal, that's the best I can do." Dealer Sales Mgr said he'd make the guy re-do it, but I'm not sure what good that will do if the guy says he can't do any better. Sales Mgr and I went out to look at his demo 300, also tinted by the same guy, and it has the same issues.

Am I too picky, do all 300's have sort of smeared rear window tints, or is this tint guy just not that able? Should I have him do it a 3rd time? Take it somewhere else?

Thanks
Had mine done 20% and all windows look great. No issues at all.

Mav

·
Registered
522 Posts
Looks like one piece.
I know my tint guy had to use 3 strips to do the rear window properly on my 911, but the curve on that window is one of the hardest to tint out of all cars. Our 300 windows should be pretty easy for a good guy.

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
What everyone else suggested...take it to a 'quality' shop. There should NOT be anything there such as you described.

bruno

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
DUX. I just answered your PM. But my guy uses one piece of tint for the back window. No problems at all, smooth clear view. And I went with 15% all the way around. Let me know when you are ready to use his services.

FB

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine shows no distortion. It's either the product or the installer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Not to discount you, but could it be the lighting? I had mine done by a local shop and it looks fantastic, but whenever I go to a certain store at night their parking lot lights make the windows look wavy/stained glass like. They are the yellowish parking lot lights (I think its sodium vapor lights, mercury vapor are the more blue ones right?). My wife who doesn't know too much about cars even noticed it before I did.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
srt8danno said:
There should be no distortions. Mine is a single piece and looks fantastic. On my 5.7 the dude that did it didn’t do half the job as the present dude. Installers make all the difference!!
Same here! Tint is clear as glass!
No streaks lines distortions nothing
One thing, when just applied it looks kind of blurry for a couple days but after that it should be clear
Gary

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's all one piece. And it's not the lighting -- in some (low) lights the waviness is harder to see -- sunlight, it pops right out.

Both times, I've let the car sit in the swamps sun here in HouTex for about a week before deciding it wasn't right.

I'll probably end up paying (again -- already paid the dealer) FreeBird's guy to do it right. I had a bad feeling about letting the dealer do it . . . ah well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts