Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 300c is now well into 100k+ territory.

Any recommendations on motor oil that wont trip any error codes?

Also open to any suggestions on an additive for longer life and increased performance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Oh boy, an oil thread!

"High mileage" oils contain seal conditioners and ZDDP. They're great for old engines originally spec'd for oils with high ZDDP levels.

I wouldn't use them in any LX/LD car. To my thinking, that extra ZDDP is just as likely to cause your catalytic converter to fail as it is to extend the life of your engine by providing superior lubrication.

I wouldn't add anything to your oill, either. Just run a full synthetic 5w-20 or 0w-20 and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh boy, an oil thread!

"High mileage" oils contain seal conditioners and ZDDP. They're great for old engines originally spec'd for oils with high ZDDP levels.

I wouldn't use them in any LX/LD car. To my thinking, that extra ZDDP is just as likely to cause your catalytic converter to fail as it is to extend the life of your engine by providing superior lubrication.

I wouldn't add anything to your oill, either. Just run a full synthetic 5w-20 or 0w-20 and don't worry about it.
I agree with CtCarl! How long have you owned the vehicle and what kind/weight oil has been used in the past? I've had the heads off all 3 of my Hemi's with approximately the following number of miles on each....05 LX-87K; 06 WK-113K: and 06 LX SRT8-169K, and they've all run the correct weight (or mostly correct) synthetic oil since I've owned them. On every one of them I could still see the cross hatch marks on the cylinder walls from the factory honing. My point is, unless your vehicle has been grossly neglected for almost its entire life, there is NO NEED to EVER run any high mileage oil or add any kind of gee whiz additives. I said, "almost correct" weight synthetic oils, because on both my modded 5.7's with higher revving cams and higher compression ratios, I chose to run 3 quarts of 5W-30 and 4 quarts of 5W-20, mostly for those reasons. Everything, including the MDS, works better than it did when completely stock. On the 6.1, which should run nothing but 0W-40 synthetic oil, I run all 7 quarts of 5W-40 Redline synthetic, only because I get it for free.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
magnuman
Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums
Join the 300c forum community to discuss the Chrysler 300c, SRT8, horsepower specs, AWD system and so much more!
Full Forum Listing