Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to McKinney, TX in about 3 months and I was curious as to what you are paying to register your vehicles and what the tint restrictions are before I get my windows done darker. I think I have 35% on all windows right now - which is definitely not dark enough. I was thinking about going 20% front sides and 5% rear sides and back. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Here is a site that lists the various state tint restrictions. I notice it hasn’t been updated since 2004. Perhaps Freebird…Texan that he is will see this just to confirm the numbers. Hope this helps.

http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

·
Registered
807 Posts
Registration fees vary based on the county you reside in and type of vehicle. You'll also have to get a vehicle safety inspection sticker and depending on county an emissions test.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You'll love McKinney! I know it quite well.

TX inspection stickers = $12.50 or $40 - depends if McKinney is in a county that requires emissions testing.
Registration = ? Call the county tax office is my best advice
Tint = last I knew, 35% was still the darkest, legal tint (yes, its definitely not dark enough). I've not seen/heard of many cops handing out illegal tint tickets, but ya never know! I prefer the same on front and rear sides. In TX, its legal to have dark tint on all four side windows unlike some other bassackward states. G'luck and report back what you get done!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm assuming registration has to be less than the $600+ per year it is here - I'm hoping anyway!

Maybe I'll go 20% all around, according to that link it lists TX at 25%, can't be that big a difference between 25-20 for a police officer to notice.

You have to get emissions tests on new cars in certain counties? Other places I've lived it's always been something like 5 years old or older. hmm.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Emmissions - all cars in required counties (no exclusions for age of car)

As for TX tint legal limit, here is what I found:

Texas has two sets of laws regarding window tinting that have been amended as of 9-1-03 from a film darkness law to a film net law (combined with any existing tint already in the glass). Passenger cars go by one set of laws and and Multi Purpose Vehicles by another. They are summarized as follows ....
Cars (Passenger Cars)

This law restricts the amount of window film darkness on all side windows combined with any existing tint already in the glass to no darker than a number total of 35% 25%LT (LT = light transmission). If the car has 2 outside door mirrors (one on each side) it allows any darkness on the rear wind shield. If the car has only 1 outside mirror the car is only allowed a total of 35% 25%LT on all windows including the rear wind shield. It does allow front windshields to be tinted measured down from the top of the windshield 5 inches or to the AS1 line which ever measurement comes first (most cars have this AS1 line & some don't). Total of 35% 25%LT allowed here as well. 1987 and older are not excluded from this law any more.
So it really depends on the tint of the glass and the tint of the film. ie, if you have 70% glass and go w/ 35% film you'd have (.70 x .35 = .2625 or 26.25% which falls in the +/-3% tolerance of TX law). With all that said, you'd be hard pressed to find out what your glass tint is w/o using a light meter. I think thats why most reputable shops usually offer 35% as their darkest tint. Don't get me wrong, you can easily find darker, and its doubtful you ever get pulled over for tint in TX. But there is always that one a$$hole who has nothing better to do than hassle you over tint. But I digress.

Do what you think looks best and worry about the consequences later. When my car arrives, I'll be going no more than 20% all around. Black cars in TX need all the help they can get :)

FYI: I got all the info above from "window tinting" - Blairs Texas Window Tinting.Serving Dallas since 1984 Check it out and a plus for you, they're in Dallas!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much for researching all that info. I'm actually pretty excited to move to TX. I lived there briefly ( started my college career as an Aggie ), and I've always remembered the friendliness of the people there.

Funny, living out West, I've never been in a tint shop that offered 35% from what I can remember. It's always been 20% or darker.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
...started my college career as an Aggie...
Whoooooooooooooooooooop! I saw where you said you were going to be driving 350 miles to grad school. A&M is within 350 miles of McKinney - are you going back to finish where you started by chance? If not, I think you should transfer!! haha Perhaps I'm a bit biased.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2004! Whoooooop!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoooooooooooooooooooop! I saw where you said you were going to be driving 350 miles to grad school. A&M is within 350 miles of McKinney - are you going back to finish where you started by chance? If not, I think you should transfer!! haha Perhaps I'm a bit biased.

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2004! Whoooooop!
Nope, actually going to Baylor, I know, I know. They have one of the only Grad programs in the country in Exercise Physiology with a concentration in Strength & Conditioning - which is my area of expertise.:icon16:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Nope, actually going to Baylor, I know, I know. They have one of the only Grad programs in the country in Exercise Physiology with a concentration in Strength & Conditioning - which is my area of expertise.:icon16:
Just go down to the A&M football team locker room and ask for their strength and conditioning coach. Tell him you want him to start a grad school program in whatever it is you want. Surely he'd do it for you :)

I'm sure there's a reason you chose to live in McKinney as opposed to Waco? You may be regretting those 22s after you make the trip up and down I-35 a few times!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure there's a reason you chose to live in McKinney as opposed to Waco? You may be regretting those 22s after you make the trip up and down I-35 a few times!!!!
McKinney looks like a very nice place to raise my family and we found a gorgeous house there that we are building in a brand new subdivision. plus I can transfer with my company that has a club in McKinney/Allen. I'll sacrifice to drive to waco 2-3 times per week for school - I say that now, :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts