Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which relay in the fuse holder under the bonnet is for the glow control module? Nothing is listed in the manual.

Torque Pro reports open circuit on the glow control module and and a plug out on cylinder 5 and a canbus error. I had a month or so back increased starting time on cold mornings...its been hitting 0 degrees a couple of nights but I have not had any trouble starting, but the fault still is still live? Not convinced the Glow control module unit its self is out...maybe a faulty relay ?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Glow control modules have been known to fail, but multiple DTCs are often caused by chaffed wiring. Check your cable looms first for any visible damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring is fine that I can see. The normal common areas are fine too. It's just the 3 same errors that have shown.

Logically working backwards from the module I was thinking relay or fuse...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P0670 glowplug control module circuit open

P0675 cylinder 5 glowplug circuit open

P1648 CAN data bus defective

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
P0670 glowplug control module circuit open

P0675 cylinder 5 glowplug circuit open

P1648 CAN data bus defective
P1648 is Glow Plug Module Internal Fault.

Depends which year car you have:-
When the ignition is turned on:- If you have 12 Volts on pin5 (Red/Dark Green) of the Glow Plug Module and 12 Volts on the large diameter cable that feeds the module. (Pins are difficult to get at without unbolting the module) all the feeds are OK and you probably do need a new Glow Plug Module.

Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2006 crd . Is the 12 v feed constant when the ignition is on or just a short cycle?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
It's a 2006 crd . Is the 12 v feed constant when the ignition is on or just a short cycle?
The 12 Supply on Pin 5 on yours should be fed via fuse 15 in the font fuse box.

The 12V supply should be there on Pin 5 all the time the ignition is on and also when the engine is running.
The 12V supply should also be on the thick wire as well (This is a wire with a built in fuse to prevent a fire risk so bear in mind it will be permanently live connected straight to the alternator)

The ECM signal to the module decides when and if the module will switch supply to the plugs depending upon Air temperature and Coolant temperature.

Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
P1648 is Glow Plug Module Internal Fault.

Depends which year car you have:-
When the ignition is turned on:- If you have 12 Volts on pin5 (Red/Dark Green) of the Glow Plug Module and 12 Volts on the large diameter cable that feeds the module. (Pins are difficult to get at without unbolting the module) all the feeds are OK and you probably do need a new Glow Plug Module.

Jack
After much searching I found my multimeter, there is 12V from the alternator feed and on pin 5...price up the part and swap out the module then!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
That's what I would suggest.
There are other communication wires between the module and the ECU but they aren't as easy to check out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the used part finally arrived...and guess what the fault still remains...its a used part so there is a good chance its faulty too...my mate has a Merc E280 cdi which runs the same module that is known to be good so will swap them over and hope its just a faulty part.

Anyone know if you can test the pins on the module for resistant or continuity?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
When you say the fault still remains I assume you have initially cleared the codes and checked they are clear, then started it up and all the codes have re-appeared ?

Checking module pins for continuity would mean nothing. You could check continuity of wires from module to the ECM or check for a signal on the comms wires on module but trying a known GOOD module is the first logical step.

Jack

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you say the fault still remains I assume you have initially cleared the codes and checked they are clear, then started it up and all the codes have re-appeared ?

Checking module pins for continuity would mean nothing. You could check continuity of wires from module to the ECM or check for a signal on the comms wires on module but trying a known GOOD module is the first logical step.

Jack
Yep cleared them down switched off and restarted both units produce the same codes. The replacement initially showed one code as a pending fault, but changed to a confirmed one after the 2nd time of clearing and re reading... When I was testing the plug for a 12v supply I did test the pins for continuity some were some were not..not having a wiring diagram to hand means I have no idea what I was expecting.

Yes I hope the E280 has the same module....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Swapped out the parts with the Merc E280 faults cleared down apart from a new one U0106 Lost comms with glow control was greyed out TP tells me it will clear after so many successful starts...

Called the parts dealer to complain, they offered me a brand new original merc part with 2 year warranty for an extra £57 so works out a total of £107 bit more than I wanted to pay but I can not be bothered chancing another second hand part...especially now the rear is making an awful hollow knocking noise!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts