Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed some of the Chrysler "c's" exhibiting release of "in gear" driveline torque load which seems excessive. In gear (drive) with foot on the brake so that the driveline and rear suspension, due to brakes being applied is torque loaded. When shifted into neutral (on some vehicles worse than others) it jerks the whole car. I know in the past addressing these kinds of problems can be tricky. I have lessened this tendency on corporate differentials by tightening up axle end gear clearance, ring and pinion backlash, the usual loose or worn mounts, worn out propeller shaft slip yolk, pinion shaft mate flange splines and the scenarios go on and on. I logged onto Chrysler dealer connect and there is no differential specs listed (backlash) for the 215Rll differential. The Propeller shaft design although common for Mercedes and BMW is new to the Chrysler line. The propeller shaft has Rubber couplers at transmission and rear axle flanges. I suppose the rubber couplers being worn could magnify this tendency to jerk the vehicle when the torque load is released. If anyone has any ideas or knows how to lessen this characteristic, please comment. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
unknown

welcome to the great unknown. I have been unable to find anyone who knows much of anything about the 215mm rear in the SRT8.

As for excessive torque loading, I have never experienced it in my version. This car is almost too smooth and civilized for such a wicked beast. I would surmise it is more of a problem in the standard hemi due to tighter converter used.

I guess we can't just set the idle lower!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Welcome, mopar_tech! :wave:

I commend you on your search for excellence, and look forward to learning from you in the future.

Thanks for joining the fun! :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
mopar_tech said:
I have noticed some of the Chrysler "c's" exhibiting release of "in gear" driveline torque load which seems excessive. In gear (drive) with foot on the brake so that the driveline and rear suspension, due to brakes being applied is torque loaded. When shifted into neutral (on some vehicles worse than others) it jerks the whole car. I know in the past addressing these kinds of problems can be tricky....If anyone has any ideas or knows how to lessen this characteristic, please comment. Thanks
I've not personally observed that phenomenon, mopar_tech, and I done many a torque hold. ;)

You may wish to check case # K12765941 on star online. Although the symptom is different, the cause reportedly may be similar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meister said:
I've not personally observed that phenomenon, mopar_tech, and I done many a torque hold. ;)

You may wish to check case # K12765941 on star online. Although the symptom is different, the cause reportedly may be similar.
I am aware of this problem, the symtoms of that are usually load related in motion on and off the gas. what I am describing is in gear at zero mph, at idle and moving the shifter from drive to neutral and feeling the sensation of a mild release of torque or with some vehicles ( im refering to only 300c's) a severe jerk. This is not a driveline pop like the 99 wj's with the 4.7 45rfe
sticktion problem which was solved by nickle plating the slip yolk splines.
thanks for the response.

·
Registered
40 Posts
got the clunk

mopar_tech said:
I am aware of this problem, the symtoms of that are usually load related in motion on and off the gas. what I am describing is in gear at zero mph, at idle and moving the shifter from drive to neutral and feeling the sensation of a mild release of torque or with some vehicles ( im refering to only 300c's) a severe jerk. This is not a driveline pop like the 99 wj's with the 4.7 45rfe
sticktion problem which was solved by nickle plating the slip yolk splines.
thanks for the response.
Yip, i got the clunk, forgot to tell the tech today. He is trying to figure out were my noise vibration sound from the transmission area is coming from. They already put a new tranny in, same old noise. I'm thinking it may be the header vibrating against the frame/body on acceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts