Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ordered the 300C Heritage Edition January 10th, 2006. Since ordering the car I've been reading this website including the "Problems / Dealer Issues" section. I'm somewhat aghast with the number of tranny issues and the prevalance of tire wear / alignment concerns. Today I decided pay a one Month subscription to Consumer Reports to see what they thought about the reliability of the 300. WHOA!!..the car is predicted to be "significantly less reliable" than average (worst rating). I'm in love with the looks of the car and all and the Inferno Red Heritage is a knock out. However, I'm getting "wigged out" about the thoughts of purchasing a $40,000 maintenance headache.

Am I overreacting to some of the problems with the 300C that are posted on this forum and other respected sources? :thinking: :thinking:

Chrysler 300
Model overview

REPORT CARD
Highs: Rear seat room, acceleration, transmission.
Lows: Visibility, suspension noise, ride, fuel economy, reliability.

Ratings Snapshot (see below for detail)
Predicted reliability
Fuel economy
Owner satisfaction
AccelerationNA Predicted depreciation
Ride
Accident avoidance
Front seat comfortNA / NA Crash protect w/wo side air bags

While the 300's styling draws a lot of attention, in most ways neither the V8-powered 300C nor the V6-equipped 300 Touring was a standout in our testing. An exception is the acceleration of the 300C, which was very quick but at the expense of fuel economy despite shutting off half of the cylinders at cruising. The rear suspension and optional all-wheel-drive system come from Mercedes-Benz architecture. Handling is sound but not exceptional. The ride in the Touring is supple and controlled, while the 300C is stiff. Interior materials are OK, but the cabin doesn't stand out in this class. The claustrophobic cabin and limited outward visibility are detractions. Reliability of the V6 model is average, but the V8 is below average.

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
First of all, in the "Problems/Dealer Service" forum you only going to see complaints. That's why it's there. If you look at the rest of the forums you will see how many love this car and have had no complaints. The same applies to all other car forums. All cars have their problems and I imagine this one is no exception. Most all complaints and warranty issues have been addressed to the satisfaction of the owner. I've never given Consumers Reports much credibility either. You don't get to be the most awarded new car in history or Motor Trend Car of the Year for no reason.

Rambit

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Further... CR has a fairly clear Japanese / foreign badge demeanor in most of their auto reporting. Yes, there were issues with the tranny and tire performance (was it alignment or engine mounting or both?), but most of those kinks have long since been worked out. That's not to say you can't still get a lemon, but the majority of us far and away are simply enjoying the power, ride and joy of operating this things down the road... often at high speed!

Even though we've only had our Pre-owned 300C about 4 months, I am definitely taking a hard look at the Heritage Edition sometime this year... it will just depend on final pricing, trade on our "C" and final features of the HE.

I think you're gonna love the car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make sure your car is right before you sign the line

Chromer said:
We ordered the 300C Heritage Edition January 10th, 2006. Since ordering the car I've been reading this website including the "Problems / Dealer Issues" section. I'm somewhat aghast with the number of tranny issues and the prevalance of tire wear / alignment concerns. Today I decided pay a one Month subscription to Consumer Reports to see what they thought about the reliability of the 300. WHOA!!..the car is predicted to be "significantly less reliable" than average (worst rating). I'm in love with the looks of the car and all and the Inferno Red Heritage is a knock out. However, I'm getting "wigged out" about the thoughts of purchasing a $40,000 maintenance headache.

Am I overreacting to some of the problems with the 300C that are posted on this forum and other respected sources? :thinking: :thinking:

Chromer. I took delivery of my new 06 C yesterday. Before pulling the trigger on this one I drove three others. Every one was different, including an 05.

Most of the problems you read about are on the 05's. That doesn't mean the 06's are perfect. Just be very careful and use your head. When your order comes in drive it, drive it and then drive it some more. Check the brakes, the alignment (is it "drifting" to the right), the solidness (try it at 100MPH) even the windows and interior controls. If everything is not exactly the way you think it sould be , walk away!

My 2000 300M had the same types of reviews and reports, but after 148,000 miles I'm keeping her for my kids. I never, and I mean never, had a system failure on that car. It was tight and it was right. I've read many reports of bad ones (M's & C's), but you will also read many great posts from owner's who absolutely love their cars.

Every car is different. Make sure the one they get for you is right and tight and you too will be a happy C

Chrysler 300
Model overview

REPORT CARD

Predicted reliability
Fuel economy
Owner satisfaction
Ride
Accident avoidance

While the 300's styling draws a lot of attention, in most ways neither the V8-powered 300C nor the V6-equipped 300 Touring was a standout in our testing. An exception is the acceleration of the 300C, which was very quick but at the expense of fuel economy despite shutting off half of the cylinders at cruising. The rear suspension and optional all-wheel-drive system come from Mercedes-Benz architecture. Handling is sound but not exceptional. The ride in the Touring is supple and controlled, while the 300C is stiff. Interior materials are OK, but the cabin doesn't stand out in this class. The claustrophobic cabin and limited outward visibility are detractions. Reliability of the V6 model is average, but the V8 is below average.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I did have my transmission replaced March '05, but since then, NOT one problem with my "C". Almost 10k on it now.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
No tranny issues here. All cars have problems as we all well know. Go to other forums and you will see lots of problems in the problem section. My 05 Odyssey has had 3 recalls, my X5 had lower control arms replaced at 19K miles. Consumers is fine for facts and figures, that's all. Forget about thier "opinions" and very highly biased repair "data". The Japanese can do no wrong and the Americans can do no right. Most like me are thrilled with the C despite some ****** in the armour, IMO it is every bit as good as an Infinity but is no Lexus (no one is).

Here is a link for a BMW issue. A friend of mine leased a 5 series which spontaneously caught on fire in the garage luckily in the day time and thier 7 year old asked why the garage was hazy. DO NOT LEAVE SLEEPING YOUNG CHILDREN IN ANY CAR IN THE GARAGE EVEN IF YOU ARE "KEEPING AN EYE ON THEM".

This happened 2 years ago, guess what they are leasing again, a 5 series. Had this been a Buick they not only would never buy GM again, they likely would never buy American again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
300c good or not?

Chromer said:

well sir... where can i start..I am fifty years old,and thoses fifty years i had had them all.. cadillac , to bmw , mercedes all ford product, since i worked for them..and to this date i have never bought a new car that is as pleasing to drive than 300c.. in 10000, miles all i had to do is oil changes..besides all the neat chrome and accesories that I installed... consumer report will tell you to buy toyota...or lexus ...buy what you like and forget someone else likes or dislike..:)

Chrysler 300
Model overview

REPORT CARD

Predicted reliability
Fuel economy
Owner satisfaction
Ride
Accident avoidance

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
crap

consumer reports is crap for car info. Get your info from a better source than them. The most biased and mis-informative rag in the world. Like buying a steak at a seafood restaurant.

EVERY magazine has its bias. PEOPLE write them, thus they are more opinion than fact. Read a lot of rags and get a lot of info from a lot of places and then develop opinions. God knows the internet can help!

Note that our particular car has been trouble free despite VIGOROUS use. One of the best "bang for the buck" machines I have ever owned, and very stealthy!

All forums are biased, too. See above!

·
Registered
80 Posts
if ya lookin for bad stuff your going to find it of course .....if ya look for good stuff you will find that to so ????????????? whatca goin do.........

·
Registered
482 Posts
Reliability; you bet! minor problems? sure there are going to be some. I have had a few problems with mine, but not near the problems that a lot of the people purchasing '05's had. Some people have never had a problem one, (of any kind).
My car is now 8 months old, and I have 16,000 miles on it. I had the tilt steering wheel stop moving when I get out, the slipring at the base of the steering column was replaced. That problem cured. I had my transmission start weeping slightly about 3 weeks ago, and the O-rings were replaced.
Two problems in that timeframe; not bad in my opinion.
GET YOUR CAR AND ENJOY IT!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your replys, this is feedback on the car that that I requested...thanks...Keep them coming..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not one problem to date and still going strong == Go figure !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2006 300C purchased her in December 31, 2005, and I have already 2,800 miles on her.

She is a nice car and so far I love her...

As far as reliability ESP keeps her on the road, everything has been ok thus far...

Remember that with your new car your going to want to "ride her hard" you want the seals to seal perfectly in the chambers, and they wont if you baybe her.

You really only have the first few hundred miles to ensure your seals seal well, that will prevent a lot of problems down the road as far as engine wear. So case in point dont baybe the engine when you first get it.

I am sure people here can link you to articles that explain it better....

Also on your first oil change go to synthetic 5W20 Mobile 1 or Ansoil 0W20 if you want to go crazy.... (well not crazy I do it too :) )

Dont forget to slap on some of those 100W super white fog light bulbs and those RED LED tail lights from that same sight.. the ones that are the 25 LED "cyclone" look...

Get a grill on that baybe, and some inserts for her... and be happy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
as an owner of 2 300's. i had a base 300 when they first came out and then traded it in for a C i would say go for it. yes there has been some issues with diffrent things, as other have said most of the problems have been addressed and fixes are available. i love my 300 and wouldnt give it up for anything right now, lol except for a SRT8 of course. dont fear the 300 it is one solid car. as all car makes and models have been found to have issues the 300 has had it share but once again most of the issues have fixes for them. hope that helps ya out. good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
reliability

Chromer said:
Thanks for your replys, this is feedback on the car that that I requested...thanks...Keep them coming..
Hi Chromer, My "C" is about a year old with over 10,000 miles. I love this car even more than the day I bought it. Best car I ever owned. Absolutely no problems of any kind at all. If I had to do it again, I would. Good luck with your new baby when you get her. We all call our cars our baby.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ill be Honest.
I got my 2006 300C back in May of 2005 and I currently have close to 8000 miles on it.
My car has been in and out of the shop about 8 times, but everytime I get my car back, I feel like I just pulled out of the dealer with a new car.
I love the feeling when people look at the car and ask you questions.
If I could do it again and if I had the money, my car would be a SRT-8.
If you ordered the 300 HE, dont hesitate, make the purhcase and then come back to this forum and tell us how happy you are.
NS6

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Not to minimize the problems some are having (especially with the transmission issues) but to put it in perspective there have been something like 200,000 of the LX cars (300, Magnum, Charger) sold already. This forum of 4000 or so members represents the "car nuts" among LX owners I think and of course you are only going to read about problems in the "problem" section. I also think most people would agree that the biggest problem is the Chrysler dealer service network, rather than the car itself.

So far mine (one of the last '05 models) has been trouble free, but I've only got 3100 miles on it. I'll know more by this time next year :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've had my 2005 300C for 19 months with only one small problem with a plug in the tranny that the dealer fixed in less than 10 minutes. Car is quiet, comfortable and fast.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
I have friends with M3's S500's and the like and they all had very expensive issues with them. The S500 was a lease that had to be Lemoned and he got a new car but had to pay the difference out of pocket WOW. So really its not always about the name or US vs Import. This car is fantastic, really. I have a 2005 with 11,700 miles, three TSB's have been addressed, one recall addressed. The real issue here is not the car its the dealers as Kevenj says. Find a good dealer and if you shoud have a problem then they will handle it in a professional manner and all will be well in 300 land. Find the crappy dealer and you may just leave DCX and all USA brands for good as II Kings said (great point II Kings). I think you are going to enjoy this car as most of us here do, that is if you stay positive about the purchase and get good customer service. I for one have really good customer service, even when I bring them the car without a TSB, just some STAR network info on a resonance problem that the regional manager cant believe I would know about and questions me on (thanks II Kings, hehe) they still bring the car in to check it out. All is well in my 300 land.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts