Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Remote start: Mopar or aftermarket?

5K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  arnoldw 
#1 ·
I have the Mopar remote start in my C. I am going to add a remote start to a PT Cruiser.

While I am happy with the Mopar system, this was my first remote start and I really don't know how it stacks up against aftermarkets in actual usage. Especially those within the same price range (max. $300 for self installed). The Mopar does interface with the C cleanly and not having to buy an extra key to "bury" is an advantage. Some of the aftermarkets have some nifty features; but, they are relatively expensive.

For those of you with experience with the Mopar and aftermarkets: do you prefer one over the other? What would you buy next time?

#2 · (Edited)
The only other one I've had experience with is the Valet (I don't recall the specific model). I had the remote start and an alarm installed on my '04 F-250 for just under $300. The Valet has a little less range than the Mopar, and does not have the option to stop the engine by pressing again, just a customizable time to cutoff. I'd give the nod to the Mopar between those two, especially on another Chrysler vehicle.

Now, when somebody makes one with a remote control so I can release the parking brake, put the car in gear, and drive her over to me with a joystick, then I'll be impressed!

#4 ·
frank29 said:
I have the Mopar remote start in my C. I am going to add a remote start to a PT Cruiser.

While I am happy with the Mopar system, this was my first remote start and I really don't know how it stacks up against aftermarkets in actual usage. Especially those within the same price range (max. $300 for self installed). The Mopar does interface with the C cleanly and not having to buy an extra key to "bury" is an advantage. Some of the aftermarkets have some nifty features; but, they are relatively expensive.

For those of you with experience with the Mopar and aftermarkets: do you prefer one over the other? What would you buy next time?
Call a few local dealers and ask them what they do with an aftermarket remote start or alarm that comes in on a trade-in vehicle. They take them off. I'm not saying there aren't good aftermarket ones, but my $.02 thinks they're the minority. The factory Mopar unit is virtually 'plug & play'. I think there are 5 wires that have to be connected. Ground, horn, hood switch, tach and I forget what the other one is. Check the aftermarket ones, you're usually looking at 30 - 60 wires that need to be spliced in. When you start chopping that many wires, it can't be good. Just MHO.

#6 ·
BrilliantBlackHemi said:
Ok, what's the part number and cost for the Mopar remote start and is it easy enough to install yourself?
You need two parts. #82208859 for $100 list and #82208995 for $199 list. Make the purchase from one of our sponsors (for example, Wyckoff) and get a discount off list.

If you have mechanical apptitude, you can do it yourself. The instructions are very clear....at least they become that way after numerous readings. The dealer says it takes two hours. It took me seven hours....I lost an hour when I had to run into town to get a soldering iron (mine quit on me)....another reason it took so long: a had the worse time routing three wires from the cabin into the engine compartment, there are three obvious areas and all were fighting me, I probably lost an hour and a half on this simple little thing. After doing it once, when I install one on my PT Cruiser, I am definetly going to do it myself.

#8 ·
XCITsNU said:
I wonder if these will work with an SRT-8? Anyone know?
Wyckoff's site specifically includes SRT8 in the description line.....that makes sense, the system ties into infrastructure(for example: ignition switch, horn, head light switch) that is shared with all variants of 300 base through 300C SRT8.......now one thing that site doesn't mention is the model year 2006; but, I'd bet they're the same (since I'm betting with your money! Just kidding, if I had an 06, I'd verify)

#10 ·
wipers started by remote start?

Just had mopar RS installed. Problem with auto head lights. used the turn to run on start method. every warning light on the car illuminates briefly, the nav system restarts, and the WIPERS go one wipe. Is this what happens on everyone elses 300c. All in all, this is a nice feature, but the horn is annoying, and all the electric-electronic on and off is unsettling. I'm surprised that a mopar "plug and almost play" factory system seems so- after market.

Thought?

filmlover99

#11 ·
The best thing about an aftermarket is the range. I have the Audiovox Pro 800 on my C and I easily can start my car from inside the mall at the other end.
I have the Viper 791XV on my wife's Expedition and she has about 1000 feet range.
I ahve the Prestige APS-966 on my duaghter's Del Sol and she too has incredible range.
Consider that if range is important.
Plus the remotes have a clock, light, battery indicators as well as vibrate and sound alerts.

#12 ·
Has anybody else had any kinds of problems?

I want to do the RS but I dont want to be dealing with side effects.

filmlover99 said:
Just had mopar RS installed. Problem with auto head lights. used the turn to run on start method. every warning light on the car illuminates briefly, the nav system restarts, and the WIPERS go one wipe. Is this what happens on everyone elses 300c. All in all, this is a nice feature, but the horn is annoying, and all the electric-electronic on and off is unsettling. I'm surprised that a mopar "plug and almost play" factory system seems so- after market.

Thought?

filmlover99

#13 · (Edited)
filmlover99 said:
the WIPERS go one wipe. Is this what happens on everyone elses 300c.
Now that is wierd. I've got two and neither does that.

filmlover99 said:
but the horn is annoying
I by-passed the horn by adding a toggle switch. Either do that or just remove the wire going to the horn relay in the power distribution box (the one in the engine compartment)

#14 ·
remote start-wipers

frank29 said:
Now that is wierd. I've got two and neither does that.

I by-passed the horn by adding a toggle switch. Either do that or just remove the wire going to the horn relay in the power distribution box (the one in the engine compartment)
Wipers only go once, which I have since rationalized might be great for removing snow, if needed. I will say I never notice the wiper thing when I use the remote start because A) it only wipes once, B) I am usually quite far away when I start the car remotely (obviously the whole point), C) my car is parked so that the rear is towards me.

I'm curious if any of these same conditions might be why no one else has seen the same issues. It would be great if someone could start their car up close, looking at the windshield, and then report back if the wipers wipe once.

Again, I have a 2006 300c with mopar remote start. If other's wipers are not doing this for sure, I need to get back to the dealer ASAP.

Thnx-

#16 ·
filmlover99 said:

Thought?

filmlover99
Is your wiper switch turned on in the rain sense position? Also, your horn was probably wired in by your installer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.