Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just received a Mopar remote start system we ordered, thinking we could install it ourselves. After we got it - the directions say to unhook the battery first. Reading in the owners manual it says that if you unhook the battery you have to have the MDS system reset. I had the dealer do a "computer Mod" to get my foglights to stay on with the brights also. Unhooking the battery will reset the computer so this won't work either...right?
Anyway - it looks like I am not savvy enough to install this system myself. Do any of you know how much the dealer would charge to install this system? I'm going to call them Monday, just trying to get a heads-up first.....

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you have mechanical aptitude, you can self install the remote start system. Use the search function and you will find many helpful hints. Some of the links that come to mind are as follows:

The hardest part of the install (for me) was routing wires through the firewall. Look at this thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/11850-remote-starter.html?highlight=firewall

As far as MDS reset, it is easy, look at this thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/fa...after-battery-disconnect.html?highlight=reset

There was a problem with the hood tilt switch: verify you have the new switch; otherwise bypass, i.e. ground the wire.

Everytime you remote start the horn beeps three times (two times prior to start; one time after start)....this is aggravating as heck, some are just skipping this step, I added a toggle switch to disable.

Read the installation manual many times prior to starting and you will feel more comfortabl.e

·
Registered
148 Posts
Disconnect the battery is the first step in just about every service procedure, but is not always needed. With the remote start install really is not needed. The hardest part of the install IMO is getting to the wire on the brake light switch, especially when you have the amp right in the way. Do not remove the switch, or you will have to replace it, but you can carefully unplug it to make it easier. Two small prongs to gently push in from the bottom and it will unplug, cant remember the color but it is a different color then the rest of the connector. Routing the wires through the firewall isnt bad either, strighten a wire coathanger and push it through the bulkhead harness near the master cylinder, tape the wires to it and pull it back out. Removing the cover above the master will let you see it better, cover the area where you pulled the wires through with silicone or liquid electrical tape to reseal it when done.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Meister come in!

My service guy told me that the mds is not affected by the disconect (although other settings may be, winows etc...).
When I installed my Mopar intake, I disconected neg. and never lost MDS but then read what you read and called them.
Meister has a neat little devise that you plug into your lighter, search his threads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts