Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
I just got my fully loaded HEMI and only option I want to install in cold New Jersey is remote start.
Dealer quoted $595 that is ridiculous and they also use subcontractor (probably making 20-30%)
Few shops quoted between $270-$400 for Python remote starter...
I am planning to go with $270 one since this is reputable shop in the area, I used to do tires there for my BMW (I traded 525i to HEMI and very happy) LOL

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with Python?
I had herd horror stories about aftermarket units burning computer and problems with Mopar original parts as well.
I would love to have remote starter but do not want to damage the car or/and void warranty.
The shop told me that they do a harness, do not cut any wires and tap In into original alarm.
I hope it is true...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Hey,
I was thinking about goin after market, but i went with factory for a couple reasons.
1-is that the remote start uses the original key.
2-its under warranty.
3-if anything happens with a after market remote start, your on your own.
honestly, 595 is a little high, but i think it was well worth it.
if anything happens, i have no worries and go right backl to the dealer if any pronlems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Well, a remote starter is one of the best investments you can make, if you hate getting into a cold car as much as I do. That being said, they should cost no more than $200. The last one I bought cost 200, installation included, and has an amazing range of 2000 ft. (almost 1/2 mile!) Goes through cement walls no problem.

Maybe the price is a supply/demand thing. I imagine that in cold climes they sell alot more than in warmer areas, thus the price difference. :wink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remote Starts

NautcaSprt6 said:
Hey,
I was thinking about goin after market, but i went with factory for a couple reasons.
1-is that the remote start uses the original key.
2-its under warranty.
3-if anything happens with a after market remote start, your on your own.
honestly, 595 is a little high, but i think it was well worth it.
if anything happens, i have no worries and go right backl to the dealer if any problems.
ACTUALLY, $595 was for aftermarket unit installed by outside contractor at the Chrysler dealership.
Dealer told me that they discontinued installing original Mopars since they were lots of headaches.
I am totally confused now....
Thanks for quick replay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
I never heard it being discontinued.
You should call another dealership and getm more info on this.

villa4vacation.com said:
ACTUALLY, $595 was for aftermarket unit installed by outside contractor at the Chrysler dealership.
Dealer told me that they discontinued installing original Mopars since they were lots of headaches.
I am totally confused now....
Thanks for quick replay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Why don't you phone around for quotes. You could conceivably get a much better deal in Plattsburg or Burlington, or in Montreal for sure. They money you save would pay for an all-inclusive (ski?) weekend while you get the unit installed! :wink1: I can get you the numbers of a few local installers here if you want. email: [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Labor cost

The cost is in the labor, it takes around 4 to 5 hours to do this. The chryslers have so much more boards for the car to work. Get someone who knows what they are doing. I love my remote start works great in the AZ heat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
I paid $650 for a Compustar 2 Way FM alarm with Remote start, paging, tilt sensor, shock sensor and proximity sensor. It works from over a mile away.

The factory alarm will not go off if your window is smashed or even if the car is smashed into from what I have read/heard. It only goes off if the door is opened or trunk. I am very happy with the aftermarket solution, and my factory alarm is still intact for when I leave the vehicle with family or valet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Rogue,
Thats not ture, the factory alarm does go off.
Its an extra option for $100 more.
my dealer installed it for me.

rogue said:
I paid $650 for a Compustar 2 Way FM alarm with Remote start, paging, tilt sensor, shock sensor and proximity sensor. It works from over a mile away.

The factory alarm will not go off if your window is smashed or even if the car is smashed into from what I have read/heard. It only goes off if the door is opened or trunk. I am very happy with the aftermarket solution, and my factory alarm is still intact for when I leave the vehicle with family or valet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pythons

Thank you all for great replies!!!
Any specific cons/pros with Pythons?
Especially, Pythons-Chrysler marriages?

Also I have to admit that my HEMI costs the same money I paid for my 525i and overperformed it by all parameters!
I was not sure if I was doing right thing by trading Bimmer but every day I am getting more and more confident that I made a right decision.
With BMWs, you have to go with 545 or 645 loaded to get to similar level of options and engine as HEMI but end up paying 20-30k extra for the name.

I previously owned 325.X5,X3,525, Mercedes ML350,Camry and Rav4

HEMI is the best so far!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
price?

rogue said:
I paid $650 for a Compustar 2 Way FM alarm with Remote start, paging, tilt sensor, shock sensor and proximity sensor. It works from over a mile away.

The factory alarm will not go off if your window is smashed or even if the car is smashed into from what I have read/heard. It only goes off if the door is opened or trunk. I am very happy with the aftermarket solution, and my factory alarm is still intact for when I leave the vehicle with family or valet.
Rogue,
I see these priced way lower- whats up with that?

http://torontocivics.com/tccforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68793

Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
jaydee said:
Rogue,
I see these priced way lower- whats up with that?

http://torontocivics.com/tccforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68793

Jay
An alarm is only as good as its installation. Due to the addition of proximity, tilt, remote start key bypass module via canbus and various other parts, my price went up.

Expect to pay $500+ for a decent alarm installation.

Sure bestbuy does installs for $250, but any thief has more knowledge than the installers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
In regards to everyone stating that the factory alarm has Shock sensors...

How does this explain the people whom's navigation units have been stolen or radar detectors and the alarm is still armed in the morning yet the windows smashed. They all slept through the alarm? :wink1:

Factory alarms have no shock sensors and will not detect a smashed window or the car being jacked up to steal your wheels.

My audi had a factory alarm:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
144 Posts
I paid $495 from dealer they wanted $700 but talk to them they has trouble when first released but mine works every time w/auto lights just det in turn key to on and takr off!
Read boards as chrysler blames everything on after market with this car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Funny, this thread started with a question about a remote start. Now we're talking alarm systems. While that in itself isn't a problem, I can see where the price differences come from....apples/oranges? :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Rogue,
Just to let you know, when I got my Remote Start installed, they wanted $600, than i asked is that with an alarm (the one where if the window gets hit, if the window breaks, if the car is tampered and all that) he said no, that addition is an extra $100, so i said do it.


rogue said:
In regards to everyone stating that the factory alarm has Shock sensors...

How does this explain the people whom's navigation units have been stolen or radar detectors and the alarm is still armed in the morning yet the windows smashed. They all slept through the alarm? :wink1:

Factory alarms have no shock sensors and will not detect a smashed window or the car being jacked up to steal your wheels.

My audi had a factory alarm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
smooth1 said:
Funny, this thread started with a question about a remote start. Now we're talking alarm systems. While that in itself isn't a problem, I can see where the price differences come from....apples/oranges? :evil:
The reason I brought alarms into this thread is because after all is said and done with the Factory system, you could have had better protection, reliability, and features from an Aftermarket Remote Start/Alarm combo.

I have seen many remote start problem threads regarding the MOPAR unit over at LXforums. It seems to be a somewhat buggy unit.

I'd recommend any of the DEI units, Compustar, or Clifford systems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Python

rogue said:
The reason I brought alarms into this thread is because after all is said and done with the Factory system, you could have had better protection, reliability, and features from an Aftermarket Remote Start/Alarm combo.

I have seen many remote start problem threads regarding the MOPAR unit over at LXforums. It seems to be a somewhat buggy unit.

I'd recommend any of the DEI units, Compustar, or Clifford systems.
Well, WHAT ABOUT Python???
Are they good, bad average?
It seems that you guys are experts...
Please help.
Another shop just quoted me with Audiovox for $400 installed...
Getting more and more confused...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
another member, mexi just told me that Python is part of DEI so I guess it is a good brand?
Also when you use these remote starters I guess I do not have to carry original keys anymore?
It has start and stop button?
What about other positions of the metal key?
How do you control those?
Sorry I am new at this.

Also what is the good tire pressure?
I keep 32 on the back and 31 in the front.
My car is equipped with Conti Self Sealing tires...

Thanks to all in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
rogue said:
The reason I brought alarms into this thread is because after all is said and done with the Factory system, you could have had better protection, reliability, and features from an Aftermarket Remote Start/Alarm combo.

I have seen many remote start problem threads regarding the MOPAR unit over at LXforums. It seems to be a somewhat buggy unit.

I'd recommend any of the DEI units, Compustar, or Clifford systems.
They had a bad run of murcery switches. All the new units should have the new unit.

The only bug is if you have AutoHead Lamps, if you remote start the car and have AH, you will need to insert you key as normal, then switch to on, the system will switch over. Now turn the key to start and you well get a full restart of the system and all is good.

Thats a known issue, and its not a big one. DC has many issues with aftermarket stuff, and they are quick to void warrentes based on that alone.

I went with the factory Remote start and its was 460 installed ( 300 parts 160 labor ) and ok deal, but as it was done with a new car purchase it carries the extended warrentee of the car.

I am looking into a AUX system for the glass breakage and car tilt.

-Robert
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top