Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Remote Starter Advise

13K views 71 replies 26 participants last post by  Mexphil 
#1 ·
Hello guys
I just got my fully loaded HEMI and only option I want to install in cold New Jersey is remote start.
Dealer quoted $595 that is ridiculous and they also use subcontractor (probably making 20-30%)
Few shops quoted between $270-$400 for Python remote starter...
I am planning to go with $270 one since this is reputable shop in the area, I used to do tires there for my BMW (I traded 525i to HEMI and very happy) LOL

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with Python?
I had herd horror stories about aftermarket units burning computer and problems with Mopar original parts as well.
I would love to have remote starter but do not want to damage the car or/and void warranty.
The shop told me that they do a harness, do not cut any wires and tap In into original alarm.
I hope it is true...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Russ

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey,
I was thinking about goin after market, but i went with factory for a couple reasons.
1-is that the remote start uses the original key.
2-its under warranty.
3-if anything happens with a after market remote start, your on your own.
honestly, 595 is a little high, but i think it was well worth it.
if anything happens, i have no worries and go right backl to the dealer if any pronlems.

#3 ·
Well, a remote starter is one of the best investments you can make, if you hate getting into a cold car as much as I do. That being said, they should cost no more than $200. The last one I bought cost 200, installation included, and has an amazing range of 2000 ft. (almost 1/2 mile!) Goes through cement walls no problem.

Maybe the price is a supply/demand thing. I imagine that in cold climes they sell alot more than in warmer areas, thus the price difference. :wink1:

#4 ·
Remote Starts

NautcaSprt6 said:
Hey,
I was thinking about goin after market, but i went with factory for a couple reasons.
1-is that the remote start uses the original key.
2-its under warranty.
3-if anything happens with a after market remote start, your on your own.
honestly, 595 is a little high, but i think it was well worth it.
if anything happens, i have no worries and go right backl to the dealer if any problems.
ACTUALLY, $595 was for aftermarket unit installed by outside contractor at the Chrysler dealership.
Dealer told me that they discontinued installing original Mopars since they were lots of headaches.
I am totally confused now....
Thanks for quick replay

#5 ·
I never heard it being discontinued.
You should call another dealership and getm more info on this.

villa4vacation.com said:
ACTUALLY, $595 was for aftermarket unit installed by outside contractor at the Chrysler dealership.
Dealer told me that they discontinued installing original Mopars since they were lots of headaches.
I am totally confused now....
Thanks for quick replay

#8 ·
I paid $650 for a Compustar 2 Way FM alarm with Remote start, paging, tilt sensor, shock sensor and proximity sensor. It works from over a mile away.

The factory alarm will not go off if your window is smashed or even if the car is smashed into from what I have read/heard. It only goes off if the door is opened or trunk. I am very happy with the aftermarket solution, and my factory alarm is still intact for when I leave the vehicle with family or valet.

#9 ·
Rogue,
Thats not ture, the factory alarm does go off.
Its an extra option for $100 more.
my dealer installed it for me.

rogue said:
I paid $650 for a Compustar 2 Way FM alarm with Remote start, paging, tilt sensor, shock sensor and proximity sensor. It works from over a mile away.

The factory alarm will not go off if your window is smashed or even if the car is smashed into from what I have read/heard. It only goes off if the door is opened or trunk. I am very happy with the aftermarket solution, and my factory alarm is still intact for when I leave the vehicle with family or valet.

#10 ·
Pythons

Thank you all for great replies!!!
Any specific cons/pros with Pythons?
Especially, Pythons-Chrysler marriages?

Also I have to admit that my HEMI costs the same money I paid for my 525i and overperformed it by all parameters!
I was not sure if I was doing right thing by trading Bimmer but every day I am getting more and more confident that I made a right decision.
With BMWs, you have to go with 545 or 645 loaded to get to similar level of options and engine as HEMI but end up paying 20-30k extra for the name.

I previously owned 325.X5,X3,525, Mercedes ML350,Camry and Rav4

HEMI is the best so far!!!

#11 ·
price?

rogue said:

Rogue,
I see these priced way lower- whats up with that?

http://torontocivics.com/tccforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68793

Jay

#12 ·
jaydee said:
Rogue,
I see these priced way lower- whats up with that?

http://torontocivics.com/tccforums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68793

Jay
An alarm is only as good as its installation. Due to the addition of proximity, tilt, remote start key bypass module via canbus and various other parts, my price went up.

Expect to pay $500+ for a decent alarm installation.

Sure bestbuy does installs for $250, but any thief has more knowledge than the installers.

#13 ·
In regards to everyone stating that the factory alarm has Shock sensors...

How does this explain the people whom's navigation units have been stolen or radar detectors and the alarm is still armed in the morning yet the windows smashed. They all slept through the alarm? :wink1:

Factory alarms have no shock sensors and will not detect a smashed window or the car being jacked up to steal your wheels.

My audi had a factory alarm:

#16 ·
Rogue,
Just to let you know, when I got my Remote Start installed, they wanted $600, than i asked is that with an alarm (the one where if the window gets hit, if the window breaks, if the car is tampered and all that) he said no, that addition is an extra $100, so i said do it.

rogue said:
In regards to everyone stating that the factory alarm has Shock sensors...

How does this explain the people whom's navigation units have been stolen or radar detectors and the alarm is still armed in the morning yet the windows smashed. They all slept through the alarm? :wink1:

Factory alarms have no shock sensors and will not detect a smashed window or the car being jacked up to steal your wheels.

My audi had a factory alarm:

#17 ·
smooth1 said:
Funny, this thread started with a question about a remote start. Now we're talking alarm systems. While that in itself isn't a problem, I can see where the price differences come from....apples/oranges? :evil:
The reason I brought alarms into this thread is because after all is said and done with the Factory system, you could have had better protection, reliability, and features from an Aftermarket Remote Start/Alarm combo.

I have seen many remote start problem threads regarding the MOPAR unit over at LXforums. It seems to be a somewhat buggy unit.

I'd recommend any of the DEI units, Compustar, or Clifford systems.

#18 ·
Python

rogue said:
The reason I brought alarms into this thread is because after all is said and done with the Factory system, you could have had better protection, reliability, and features from an Aftermarket Remote Start/Alarm combo.

I have seen many remote start problem threads regarding the MOPAR unit over at LXforums. It seems to be a somewhat buggy unit.

Well, WHAT ABOUT Python???
Are they good, bad average?
It seems that you guys are experts...
Please help.
Another shop just quoted me with Audiovox for $400 installed...
Getting more and more confused...

#19 ·
another member, mexi just told me that Python is part of DEI so I guess it is a good brand?
Also when you use these remote starters I guess I do not have to carry original keys anymore?
It has start and stop button?
What about other positions of the metal key?
How do you control those?
Sorry I am new at this.

Also what is the good tire pressure?
I keep 32 on the back and 31 in the front.
My car is equipped with Conti Self Sealing tires...

Thanks to all in advance.

#20 ·
rogue said:

They had a bad run of murcery switches. All the new units should have the new unit.

The only bug is if you have AutoHead Lamps, if you remote start the car and have AH, you will need to insert you key as normal, then switch to on, the system will switch over. Now turn the key to start and you well get a full restart of the system and all is good.

Thats a known issue, and its not a big one. DC has many issues with aftermarket stuff, and they are quick to void warrentes based on that alone.

I went with the factory Remote start and its was 460 installed ( 300 parts 160 labor ) and ok deal, but as it was done with a new car purchase it carries the extended warrentee of the car.

I am looking into a AUX system for the glass breakage and car tilt.

-Robert

#21 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 300c and just got my mopar remote start put in last week. I do not have any problems but once the AH did not turn on. I do not mind that one bit. good thing about the mopar unit is that it have the harness that plugs into the factory wiring harness without cutting into wires. 3 wires might be visable in engine compartment. tach wire, horn wire (that I left unhooked), and the hood switch wire. This unit is manufactured by Code Allarm.

One thing I would like to change is make it run longer than can be programmed. You have the choice of 10 or 15 min. hope this might help in your decision.

Good luck

#22 ·
Thanks for your input but two dealers in NJ already told me that MOpar remote start is no longer available and they do installs by using subcontractors...
One quoted $350, another $595,
Independent shops quoted $400 for Audiovox and another one $270 for Python
Both independent shops swear that they will install harness with no cutting wires.

It seems that this is very controversial topic since on the top of too many choices there is potential warranty void issue..

Should i just forgedaboudit and freeze my a... in the winter?
It was supposed to be a Christmas Present from my wife...
LOL

#23 ·
I am looking at a Viper combined remote start and alarm system. I thought it would be around 700 installed. and that includes a key that does both the remote start as well as has indicators of which zone of the alarm is firing. I have to say I need to look at it a little closer but it looks pretty good. If someone knows otherwise let me know pls.

villa4vacation.com said:
Hello guys
I just got my fully loaded HEMI and only option I want to install in cold New Jersey is remote start.
Dealer quoted $595 that is ridiculous and they also use subcontractor (probably making 20-30%)
Few shops quoted between $270-$400 for Python remote starter...
I am planning to go with $270 one since this is reputable shop in the area, I used to do tires there for my BMW (I traded 525i to HEMI and very happy) LOL

Does anyone have any good/bad experience with Python?
I had herd horror stories about aftermarket units burning computer and problems with Mopar original parts as well.
I would love to have remote starter but do not want to damage the car or/and void warranty.
The shop told me that they do a harness, do not cut any wires and tap In into original alarm.
I hope it is true...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Russ

#25 ·
Villa4 - I think they maybe BS'ing you. Contact the parts suppliers that are Spporting vendores here and ask them.

FunkyChicken on LXFourms is a dealer tech and he is still installing them as of a few weeks ago.

Call a differnt dealer in a differnt area and see what they say. You local dealer may end up making more on kick back sending you to the sub vs doing it them selves.

The real issue is that the factory alarm, Dodge remote start keeps it working correctly. MOST aftermarket Alarms/remote starts end up disabling the skreem or what ever it called by cutting a key and wiring it to the skrem reciver and that will disable the need to have a proper programed RFID key to start the car.

Good luck

-Robert

#26 ·
You might be right about NJ dealers, they get 20-30 % lick back from aftermarket subs and do nothing, even telling me that I am on my own with the warranty...
I will call few dealers in New York tomorrow to see what the story is...
I'd rather install real Mopar unit by dealer and pay around $400 then install fancy Python and then have problems.
I had herd bad stories....

Is there such a thing like JUST REMOTE STARTER? So I do not have to mess with factory alarm?Or they share port on the harness?
Also, Cuircuit City sells and installs DEI Valet 561R Remote Start (VALET561R) for about $250 but I am very sceptical about their expertise...

Guys if anyone has any REAL experience to share bad or good I will appreciate it.
I am so exited about this car and do not want to spoil the feeling by getting myself lots of headache...
Meanwhile, we just had first snow and my b...t does not feel like getting frozen this winter
LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.