Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today came home from work and removed my lower moldings under the windows.I am color matching them with the car.Started at 3:00 and just put the last coat of clear coat.Thanks swsinc for telling me an easier way of getting the molding off without taking the door panels off.I would try to post some pics,my son took my camera.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Start bye opening the doors and at the end of each door there is a screw just unscrew each one and the molding slides out.Just make sure your windows are open so you can push up on the molding they are clipped in also then just slide them towards you.It might seam there is another screw but there isnt,i made a mistake and thought there was and i bent one just a little cant notice because i painted it black.
Here is a pic with the chrome.Also took off the chrome handles and mirriors.And those tail lights.Tinted my stock ones.

Top pics are when there done,below was when they were chrome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I removed the screw at the end and the same end I was able to pull up but the other side would not move. It DOES seem like there is another screw at the other end. It feels if I try to pull it more it will bend.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just be carefull when you pull them off because i bent one.Just try to wiggle them a little and pull hard, the problem is putting them back on.Just got home from a body shop since 8:00am.They had to pull off the panels to get them back on.I started to scratch the car up.Cost me $100,it was worth it to have them install them.Well i was checking them out tonight and from a distance looks great but up close not my best work.Good thing is they where painted black so its not to bad.I think nobody will notice,but i know were the mistakes are and it bothers me alot.Going to leave it alone for now because wife going to flip if i mess one more thing up on this car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
there is 1 screw on the front doors (at the rear), and 2 on the rears (each end of trim) on the rear one the door panel must be removed to access the rear screw. also, when i did mine i found it much safer and easier to remove all panels f/r. and to remove the mirrors on the front. its a bit of work, but its the only way i see it can be done. i left my windows up. also if your are painting them, the plastic end caps on the chrome moldings can be removed, on the back side of the trim there is a tab holding the end caps on, bend the tab up, and slide the end cap off. paint them and re-install end caps. makes for a much cleaner job (no tape lines) good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you just paint over the chrome or does somebody make color matched ones?

-david

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I painted over the chrome. I color match it my self.Orderd the paint on line.First i wet sanded the chrome then used 2 coats of SELF-ETCHING PRIMER then sanded again,primed them again with regular primer- sanded them again then color matched. Last step i put 2 coats of clear coat.Like i said wasnt my best work,but take your time watch for the paint drips.I did the color matching at night and i clear coating them.I was left with very little drip marks didnt see them until i clear coated them then it was to late to do anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Frankieo,
It just keeps looking better and better. Can't wait to see how the Grip looks and how the whole whip looks when you're done. Nice work!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheRev thank you.In two weeks i will be putting my new rims on and hopfully the grille will be here.I will make sure i take new pictures when its all done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts