Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 08 300C with 145k has noticeably more power zip and zoom than my 10 model with 57k. Both have 5.7 hemis. Mine supposedly has 20 more hp than hers from the factory.
Her car is built to other than California emissions. Mine is built 50 state legal.
Both cars were built in Canada of course. BUT I had to actually go to Canada to buy mine. As far as I can tell we are the second owners to both cars and they are 100% stock with the exception of the suitcase mufflers were removed from my car as a trailer hitch was installed and the mufflers had to be jettisoned. My question is... is my wife's car quicker and faster because it's NOT California legal and mine is?
I want my car to be faster than hers. So.. can the California tune be removed from my car's computer or PCM?

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is no California tune. The 50 state and California cars are the same. The only difference from the factory is the emissions decal. Been that way for at lease 20 years. Could rear axle ratio be different? I know the rear axle ratio in the 2011 Gen II is different. It got a numerically lower rear axle ratio to improve gas mileage at the expense of performance. My 2006 300C was noticeably faster than my 2011 300C even though it had 23 less horsepower. Don't know if the 2010 had the rear axle gearing changed or not. Might want to check that out.

Phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know...I thought about the rear gear... I'll have to look at the production sheet and see what they have. I didn't know about the tune being the same. The emissions labels are different... you're right there. When I brought my car into the u.s., customs checked to ascertain that label on the radiator core support was there. Had it not been there, the only way to get the car in was to obtain a letter from Chrysler stating the car was built to u.s. epa and dot specs. Get this... Chrysler will Only send you that letter AFTER you've owned the car for 6 months !
Wow. What a screwing over by Chrysler. Advice... bring along an extra label.
I'll check the ratios and post finds

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no California tune. The 50 state and California cars are the same. The only difference from the factory is the emissions decal. Been that way for at lease 20 years. Could rear axle ratio be different? I know the rear axle ratio in the 2011 Gen II is different. It got a numerically lower rear axle ratio to improve gas mileage at the expense of performance. My 2006 300C was noticeably faster than my 2011 300C even though it had 23 less horsepower. Don't know if the 2010 had the rear axle gearing changed or not. Might want to check that out.

Phil
2:65vs 2:82 gear ratios... different.
282 in the 08 car.
ALSO build sheet shows '10 car built to U.S. 50 state legal specs
While the build sheet on the 08 model is silent in those regards
I know you say no difference but... the 10 model was built to Canada specs. I heard Canada has more stringent emissions laws and im willing to bet there is a different tune betwixt the two

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never said the was no difference in a Canada car. I said ther was no difference between a 50 state legal car and a California car, other than the emissions sticker. I would be greatly surprised if Canada has a more stringent emissions standard than California, but don't know for sure. 2.85 ratio in the older car vs 2.65 ratio in the newer car would mean that, all things being equal, the older car would accelerate quicker, but the newer car has more HP, so it seems like it should be a toss up, since they are both Gen I models, unless the 2010 car is significantly heavier. As I said earlier, my Gen I 2006 300C was noticeably quicker than my 2011 Gen II 300C, even though the 2011 has 23 more HP. By the way, all 300's are built in Brampton, Ontario Canada, as are Dodge Chargers and Challengers.

Phil

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, all Chrysler 300's are 50 state legal if they were built for the US market.There were some 300's built for the European market and a turbo diesle engine was an option,, but i think they all were built in Austria, not Canada. Some were sold under the Lancia brand. California requires it's own special decal, otherwise the cars are the same. At one time, many years ago, cars made for the California market had more stringent emissions requirements, so they were required to have a Calif sticker. Unfortunately, California never removed this law, even though the cars are all the same now. Hence the stupid California emissions sticker.

Phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't know why my wife's car has so much soup... it's a noticeable difference.
My car is supposed to have 20 more horsepower. The rear gear difference is not that much in my opinion.
With the 20 more hp you'd think that would make up for the rear gear difference

·
Registered
56 Posts
One last thought. Are you running stock wheels and tires? For example, it was popular a while back to run 22" wheels on 300's, especially DUBS. These large, heavy, oversized wheels have a very negative affect on the cars performance. If you increase the wheels diameter from stock, you effectively make the gearing worse, slowing the car down. Adding weight to the wheel increases the power required to get the wheel rolling. Just thinking out loud. Do you have access to a code reader? Might be worth a look to see if you have any stored codes that might indicate a minor malfunction that might result in reduced power from the engine.

Phil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to build drag cars for a living also...i drag raced myself (legally on the track) for 13 years. Both cars retain stock 18" wheels

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

Interesting. So did I many years ago. Never built cars for a living but did most of the work on my race cars.. Ran a series of Mopars in NHRA Stock and Super Stock Elimnators. Attach a pic of our 69 Super Bee that we raced in Stock Eliminator back in the day. Enjoy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love it! Which division did you run at mostly?
I ran pro no electronics.
Sportsman class
Started with a 69 Dodge Charger RT,
Then a 68 Dart 2dr post
Then a 70 Challenger then
Last one a 65 Plymouth Satellite I could have run the satellite in NSS with a different intake.
All of them had big block wedge mopar engines 440 or so. I'll see if I can dig up some pics

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed a 91 octane "canned" tune in our '14 300C 5.7 hemi car with my Diablosport i3 tuner, made all the difference in the world in acceleration, running in general and used a 180 thermostat in it. Fans reset to 188 low, 192 medium, and 195 high speeds(9 settings total), and trans shifting set on increased firmness which worked very well in conjunction with a Transgo reprogramming/revalving kit in the valve body, will do an easy 1-2 shift chirp using the sport stick feature. My stock R/T exhaust also works well with 2.5" pipes and MDS has been shut off as well.
This car hauls butt now, and is faster than my R/T Challenger w/M6 trans and 5.7 hemi.
OK to do some electronic tuning, just save your factory tune in the tuner!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts