Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyy everyone,
Im getting a viper alarm and remote start system the 2-way system with the LCD screen.
Well im really not liking the idea of carrying around the chrysler key fob and the viper remote.

So i was wondering if its possible to just remove the metal key part in the chrysler key fob and attach it to a key ring and just carry around the viper remote???

do you guys think its possible and has anyone done it?

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
If your car has a Transponder Key (which it most likely does) you will need the key to start the car. There won't be any getting around it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do believe that the metal part of the key is attached to some of the
electronics inside the fob part.

When you put your key in the ignition, it senses the key and the fob.

I know that in order to program a new key/fob on your own, you need
two keys that are already programmed in order to do a third one.

In order to program the third key, you have to insert the old ones in one
at a time, and turn the ignition, then remove the key, put in the new one
and do the same, and then do the other programmed key. It may be in a
slightly different order, but you get the picture.

If this is the case, and you HAVE to do this in order to get a new key
programed for your car, then they must send a signal up thru the metal part
of the key into the fob, otherwise it will not work.

I could be wrong, but I would check this out before you destroy a good key.

If you do not have the two keys to program a new one, you will have to go
to the dealership to get a new key, and you will be paying at LEAST $125.00
to have them program one for you.

But, if you want to try this it out anyway, just go to a place like HomeDepot or any place
that makes regular keys, and have them make one for you.

This way, it will only cost you a buck or two, and you will have your answer
whether it will work or not without destroying your good key.

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,
i have opened up one of the keyfobs and the metal key does not touch any part of the little circuit board inside

so im going to go try making a cheap copy of the key and see of it works

·
Registered
171 Posts
You should be able to do it. The thing is that when you install the Viper alarm you are going to lose one key because they have to use one in order for the remote start to work. What they do is they will shave the key down, and then it will go into a module. When you press whatever button it is you press to start the car this key that is in the module with your transponder key in it will trick you car into thinking that there is a key in the ignition. Seeing as the car already thinks that there is a key in the ignition, in theory you might be able to do what you want to do. I think that the idea that CJ7VFR mentions is a good idea. I would personally try that also before ruining your key.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You can take the metal key part out but what you find it is like a t-shaped with no way to attach it to a key ring, this won't do much any way because the transponder is built into the black case. Your best bet is to purchase non-remote transponder key. They are about $20 and you can program the key youself as long as you have 2 original keys

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
That's not how the transponder works.

If the car's transponder receiver does not receive a signal from the transmitter (key) the car will not start. It's merely a coded, proximity system. Aftermarket remote start/alarm systems interface with the factory transponder module.

You can't remove the transponder part of the key from the equasion it's not dooable.. The only thing you could do is eliminate the entire transponder system and that would be pointless because it's sole purpose is to make your car impossible to start.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
It'd be interesting to move the transponder antenna somewhere else, and just put a push button there to take the place of the ignition key.

There's actually an aftermarket product out there that does something like that, but it's still in the early stages (who knows why!)

Out of curio, I wonder if the transponder even needs to be present the ENTIRE time the car is running, or if only when the car is put into gear, if that was the case you could just hold the fob up, hit the button, and stick it back in your pocket or something.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Oot,

That's basically how the OEM system is in the C6 Vette's. These systems have more range than a few inches. The Corvette's Transponder system ranges in the 50 plus foot mark. As you walk towards the car (key fob in pocket, there is no ignition key) the receiver senses the presence of the transponder so when you walk up and touch the touch sensitive strip on the door (there is no handle) it unlocks the door, and then you get in the car and just push the "START" button.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this is what i tried so far...

I tried to get a copy made, but they said that they couldn't....
so i opened up the key remote and took out the circuit board and tried to start the car...

It started and then shut off in like 2 seconds.

so i put the circuit board in the key remote and held it with my finger and the car started and stayed on....

BUT i still havent installed the viper remote start yet, im doing that friday
so im going to try playing around with it again....

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Yeah it'll start, but the fob has to be near the ignition while you put the car into gear or else it'll shut off. That's what I've been thinking, and I wonder though if you only have to do that once, or do you have to keep it there, lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay another update

So i got the Viper 5900 remote start/alarm installed (suppose to have a 1-mile range) Have to test that out lol

Well i guess they use this new technology, where they install an interface that pretty much copys the brains of both my keyfob remotes and stores it in its memory. So that is what tricks the car in thinking that the key is in the ignition. had to pay bout $50 more for that but it works.
only prob is,since that interface does not hav a battery.... i see that battery message on the EVIC. Another thing is once you put the ignition key in and turn to ACC, the heater and nav and everything shut off, but once to press the brake everything comes back on and works fine, neither of these really bother me tho:lick:

BUT the good news is.... IF you start the car with the remote start, you can just use a copy of the actuall key and the car will work.
I tried it out by taking apart my chrysler key fob and just using the metal key to put in the igniton
AND all was good, the car did not shut off!!!

SO tommorrow i will make a trip to home depot to make a copy of my key
YES now i can only carry one remote!!!!

OH another problem i faced, i cant get the trunk to open with the new viper remote.... so i gotta make a trip to the installer to see if they will fix it

:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts