Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a screw imbedded in the tread area of a self sealing O.E.M. tire. It is one of the grooves. The screw is well under the 3/16" max. diameter that these tires should seal. Looking at the phillips drive head, it appears to be a #10 screw.

Should I just pull it out? Should I get the tire warm before pulling to ensure the "goo" flows properly? Should I pull it at a "tire place"? (i.e., has anbody pulled a screw, nail or whatever just to have the tire deflate?)

·
Registered
529 Posts
frank29 said:
I've got a screw imbedded in the tread area of a self sealing O.E.M. tire. It is one of the grooves. The screw is well under the 3/16" max. diameter that these tires should seal. Looking at the phillips drive head, it appears to be a #10 screw.

Should I just pull it out? Should I get the tire warm before pulling to ensure the "goo" flows properly? Should I pull it at a "tire place"? (i.e., has anbody pulled a screw, nail or whatever just to have the tire deflate?)
Why not find out which tire store in your area covers the Conti tires and take it there and then pull it out. If there is a deflation they will take care of you. I had no problem with the warranty when I took mine in. Mine was a different problem but there was no arguement and I got a new tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I actually wanted to post about this a while back when it happened to me. About a mile from my friend's house, I got a screw in my tire, and it was definately close to 3/16". When I got to his house, I took a look at it, and got out my Leatherman. It was slightly leaking air when I jiggled the screw. So I unscrewed it. I didn't want to leave the car sitting at his house as it was now leaking a little more. So I figured I would drive it to get the sealant to spread in the tire. We drove about 20 miles (highway) to my other buddy's house. When we got there the tire was fine. All I did was add about 1-2 PSI that it had lost. Since then the tire has been perfectly fine. I am happy these tires did what they are supposed to do!! BTW, the screw was directly in the bottom of the tire between the treads.

Chewy

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
frank29 said:

Frank,

Either of the above two methods is fine. If you have an air compressor at home (just in case) and if the screw head is undamaged, then just simply unscrew it. If the screw head is damaged to the point where you cannot unscrew it, then use a good pair of angled diagonal pliers and pull-up on the screw with a leverage type motion against the tire's tread area. The self-sealing material should do its job. :approve:

Note: Just so that you're aware, the self-sealing material is not actually 'free-flowing', but more similar to the type of material which is found in those sticky ('humane') mouse traps currently available at your local grocery/hardware store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts