Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My inside fender, not sure if thats the correct term, picture below of where its shredded, is well shredded....Where can I get a replacement? All the local you pull you pay's dont have a 300c in stock, not sure the best place to look for it either.

I noticed going highway speeds I smell some burning plastic , so i imagine its coming back and rubbing on the new tires. Any suggestions on replacing / fixing this? Im hoping its not a dealer only part

Pic for reference

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can get the fender liners off ebay for under $30 per side including the shipping.
Right Side 05 08 Chrysler 300 Front Fender Liner Splash Shield Replacement | eBay
The problem might have been caused due to the liner not being properly attached to the bumper under body pan/liner/tray. Your bumper pan/liner/tray appears to be missing.
When you travel at highway speed the wind will push the wheel liner into the wheel resulting in the melt/shred.
Replace the bumper pan/liner/tray and make sure you properly attach the bottom of the wheel liner to the under body liner/pan/tray.
The clips that attach the fender liner to the bumper liner/pan/tray would be in the area that is missing on your fender liner now.

In this picture you can see where the fender liner is attached to the bumper liner/pan/tray:
(Yes its a Gen II 300 in the picture but the Gen 1 & 2 fender liners attach the same way)

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is a little coincidental. I'm having a fender liner issue myself. I just bought the car (new) in November and recently noticed my right front liner has popped out maybe an inch and a half. I have a warranty appointment Friday morning so I'll let somebody else worry about it (atlhough I'm thinking a well-placed rubber mallet will do the trick); but still... I guess I can be happy I don't have the dreaded trunk-open-itis or one-wipe-wipers-on startup disease like a few others. ;-)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TX. Both sides are similar, ill be placing an order soon then. Will the bumper liner be included, or do I need to find it else where? I planned on removing the Bumper next weekend anyhow (Have to fix the fog light, and some of the mounts holding the bumper to the car seem loose),

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Get some Dorman Dorman 961-050 1/4" plastic screw in rivets. You'll need them to fasten the new liner in to place.

Not sure what you are referring to as the "bumper liner", txbandit. Are you referring to the underbody tray?

In any event, the wheel well splash guards include nothing else but that specific part.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Most auto parts stores have those rivets. If a different brand is available, fine. Just get 1/4" x 3/4" screw in plastic rivets.

That liner will fit your driver's side front.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, good to know. Its easy enough to put on I take it? Does putting it back on require the bumper removal? Or can it be done without ? (More curiosity than anything)....Would the replacement be in the shop manual (I plan to look through this in the next few days as time allows)

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
Replacement will be in the factory service manual (FSM) and you can get it out without removing the bumper. Just make sure you get it lined up right and connected at all the right spots per the FSM.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet, got a weekend project coming up....Little off-topic, is there a similar piece up the center ? Also, behind my grille, there are some styrofoam bricks (Best way to describe em, dense but light little hard when pressed, black in colour), can these be removed?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
If you haven't ordered them yet, check out rockauto.com. I got mine there. They are much cheaper and they fit just fine. IIRC, they were about $9. Dealer wanted something crazy......I think about$65 each. Anyway, good luck...it's really not a bad job, just make sure all the mounting holes have some kind of fastener in them when you get done or you might be doing it over again. Taking the wheel off makes it a lot easier. I hope you have some jack stands because you don't want to be working under there with just a jack holding the car up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup have some jack stands, need to find a place to jack up the car where my floor jack fits (last I tried, prior to putting 20s on, the jack didnt fit under the car lol), do you happen to have the part number for rock auto? Ill dig around there in a sec here, forgot about them

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Sweet, got a weekend project coming up....Little off-topic, is there a similar piece up the center ? Also, behind my grille, there are some styrofoam bricks (Best way to describe em, dense but light little hard when pressed, black in colour), can these be removed?

You don't want to remove that foam piece. It is an energy absorber for when you run into something, but the main thing is, your bumper won't fit right without it. The foam helps support and align the fascia.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looking at rock auto there is "Regular Inventory" and "CAPA Certified" ... Is it worth the extra to go for CAPA (~10 bucks per splash guard)

·
Registered
404 Posts
I can vouch for Maddog's suggestion on getting the plastic rivets.. They are much better for the fender liners than using the plugs and such. You can get a rivet set, which includes the handheld riveter for under $20 at Harbor Freight. And that comes with 40 rivets.
Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets

Also be careful with the cheap-O parts on ebay. I bought fender liners off ebay a few years back.. They were much thinner and to top it off, the holes did not line up (had to punch new holes).. Let's just say, I spent the extra on the OEM's with thicker plastic my 2nd time around. Then again I didn't use the rivets till my OEM parts purchase.

MacK

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You ended up getting your liners from Chrysler then? Or from another source? I am going to plan to order in the next day or two I hope

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not sure what you are referring to as the "bumper liner", txbandit. Are you referring to the underbody tray?
Tray, pan, liner, shield, do-hickey, thing-ama-bob... I think the basic idea came across :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts