Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the 300C for a year and month and all of sudden every moriningfor the past two weeks the power steering was making a loud whining noise and then disappear after 15 minutes. I dropped off the car at the dealer yesterday and they told me the rack and pinion are leaking power steering fluid and they need to replace the entire mechanism and its unsafe to drive the car.

Anyone else experience this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Jesus Chrysler said:
that's happened on my old 97 LHS. i switch the parts from another LHS and it worked fine. the car ran well into 200K miles.
Man I had a 97 LHS bfore this car. What color was it? Mine was Amethest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Good thing it happened now while it's under warranty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
My pump is whining too. Having dealership go thru the car while I'm in vegas next week. I joked that maybe for once they'd be able to get the car done by the time I need it, seeing as how they can have it for a friggin' week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
LWOOD said:
My pump is whining too. Having dealership go thru the car while I'm in vegas next week. I joked that maybe for once they'd be able to get the car done by the time I need it, seeing as how they can have it for a friggin' week!
Don't let them know you are out of town, they won't start 'til Thursday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
Don't let them know you are out of town, they won't start 'til Thursday.
Well, Steve, knowing my dealer they'd resell my car if I didn't pay for the work the second it got done! :wink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car is fixed, it took over two and half weeks to do it,because the part was on national back order, but after arguing with them they finally located a dealer a few hours away with the part. It took two days to install when they got the got the part, because "they ran into complications" essentially they have never done this before on this car. The steering now seems over boosted, but i'm not sure if that is due to me not driving the car for a while, wife says its the same.


The dealer realigned the car to the new specs again, still crown sensitive but not as bad as before, also, i used to get the slight whine/resistance when the wheel was fully turned when backing out of a parking space, now the steering wheel just stops, no resistance or whine. we'll see how long this rack lasts assuming it is installed correctly. I have never had a car leak powersteering fluid with 9600 miles on it. hopefully it is not a design defect and just my bad luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Same problem - power steering fluid.

I have a 2 week old 300C that lost all of its power steering fluid (475 miles on vehicle). Dealer replaced complete rack and pinion on 2 week old vehicle.

They also added transmission fluid (to a 2 week old vehicle) I hope that is not leaking too.

I have not had a new vehicle leak fluids since the 1970s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
lgret13 said:
The steering now seems over boosted, but i'm not sure if that is due to me not driving the car for a while, wife says its the same.
When you had a leak you might have been driving on low fluid and/or had less pressure in the system, making it act less boosted than specs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Yes!

I have the same problem, but I never experienced leakage of power steering fluid. I just have a noise which starts whenever I travel over an irregular surface. I thought it was a strut, but at the dealer they checked both struts and said I needed to replace the R & P. I live in Puerto Rico and I am still awaiting the part from Detroit, wich is on Back order. At least that's what the manager at the dealer said. Nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks!

lgret13 said:
I have had the 300C for a year and month and all of sudden every moriningfor the past two weeks the power steering was making a loud whining noise and then disappear after 15 minutes. I dropped off the car at the dealer yesterday and they told me the rack and pinion are leaking power steering fluid and they need to replace the entire mechanism and its unsafe to drive the car.

Anyone else experience this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Red fluid

I just noticed that I am leaking a lot of red fluid. I know the power steering fluid is red, are there any other red fluids in there (tranny?)

The power steering fluid level is low, but I can't bring it to the dealer for a couple of days (too busy with work), will I be OK?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
823 Posts
My rack leaked too.

23k on the clock.

Good thing the part only took two days to get to the dealer.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top