125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the stock bulbs tonight.. let me know what you think.. :cool:

bulbs i used to replace the stocks

stock bulbs..

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Impressive, to be expected, you went from a 55W bulb to an off road 80w, this is brighter than the 65w high beam. It is a nice blue/white hue and many folks will assume you have your high beams on. impressive nonetheless

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Be extra careful when adding a higher watt bulb. I remember I put a 80w/100w bulb in my Jeep and the bulb exploded in the headlamp housing and trust me you don't want that to happean.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
300Con23s said:
Be extra careful when adding a higher watt bulb. I remember I put a 80w/100w bulb in my Jeep and the bulb exploded in the headlamp housing and trust me you don't want that to happean.
How long was it in your car before it exploded? Did you do anything in particular the night it exploded?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm looking to switch over to HID but there is a LOT of conflicting info on this forum. I was hoping to get a higher performance Headlamp so keep us informed with how yours work.
Does the maker of the HID's make the same thing in 55w?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would not trust such a high wattage bulb at such a cheap price... be careful... I would have not risked it... you should have gotten some sylvania or a known brand

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, I'm no expert but 12.99 sounds awful cheap.................but I hope it works for you...one note though: watch the plastic on that bulb it may melt.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Regardless of the wattage or the color that it gives off, is there a difference in the light it puts out? Most of the cheaper bulbs and the ones on ebay are not of high quality. They have blue glass that robs light and actually makes it more dangerous. It also makes the lights look blurry, which you can see from your picture. Trust me I have tried all the bulbs. I would only recommend the Philips Premium a.k.a. Wagner Brite light. They have the best performance for a 9006 bulb. Read the article below (mid page) and you will see what bulb performance is all about. Good Luck. http://www.hidforum.com/ayh/lumen.php

p.s. PIAAs are good but cost twice as much as the Philips so it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
worked for me

ktan23 said:
Replaced the stock bulbs tonight.. let me know what you think.. :cool:

bulbs i used to replace the stocks

stock bulbs..
I wanted my 300C with the factory blue lights....but it didn't quite work out that way.... I got similar after market bulbs & they look spectacular!!!! But make sure you do the high beam, low beam, and the fogs.....

·
Registered
792 Posts
ktan23, those are the same I used to replace my non-HID one, high and low beam but I added a heavy duty double relay harness for protection.

I tried several makes/wattages but these ones are the best of all tested. The difference is awesome as you pictured.

·
Registered
402 Posts
HERMINIO -

How long have you had these installed??

I like the look... I've been very close to popping for the SilverStars.

The pics in this thread look good. They don't look like "fake" HID blue bulbs, and one would think they would provide better lighting overall, if only due to the increased wattage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
HERMINIO said:
ktan23, those are the same I used to replace my non-HID one, high and low beam but I added a heavy duty double relay harness for protection.

I tried several makes/wattages but these ones are the best of all tested. The difference is awesome as you pictured.
What is a heavy duty double relay harness? Can you see a significant improvement in visability over stock? I have the HIDs but I might try these for the high beam.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have them installed about 2 months now.

The harness use heavy gauge cables, relays and connectors that draws 12V + directly from the battery and protects the OEM harness from overload of high wattage bulbs.

I used them in all my cars when switched to those type of bulbs.

Here is a picture of a headlamp harness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Everyone, I would check out what the owners manual says about installing higher wattage globes. Here in Australia the local cars are now fitted with headlights made of plastic (lens & shell) and the heat generated by the higher wattage globes will distort or melt the assembly. It is clearly stated, DO NOT FIT HIGHER WATTAGE GLOBES.

I noted on another thread that someone mentioned how thin the plastic lens is on the 300C so I would be extra careful about the higher wattage globes. Even if they do not melt the plastic they can scorch the reflector.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts