Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just swaped to a 180-Tstat and before i had a chance to grab a plastic baggy, my friend pried out the tstat so ofcourse the coolant went everywhere haha. Well noticing its the orange/red type my question is...

Is there a certain kind i should replace it with (IE: part/serial number)
and where to get it (IE: dealer vs part-store)

i'm stuck at work and havent looked at my manuals yet, figured to ask for a heads up

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Well, I know you can get an expensive gallon of the stuff at the dealership. I did that once.

There's a thread here somwhere by Meister on another quality coolant for our cars. I'll be back to post the link as soon as I find it.

Here you go: Silicate-free High Performance Coolant.

This solved some problems with the OEM coolant in SRT8 engines, but also is good for the 5.7L Hemis. It's what I use in our MSRT8, and in the spring will be changed into the 300C as well.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Understandable... it would be best as a replacement. You probably can get the OEM-type stuff at AutoZone, NAPA, Advance Auto, etc., as long as you specify the make and model and check for compatibility. I just got a gallon of OEM from a Chrysler Dealer in the Chicago area a year or two ago while we were up there and I found the overflow reservoir to be a little low on the 300C. IIRC it cost me $18, but it might have been $28! I still have over half the gallon left!

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
dont know if i want to add yellow to my red, dont feel like flushing the radiator :(
Zerex (Valvoline) makes the O.E. approved factory fill coolant. You can get it at Napa or probably any parts store. Any brand is Ok as long as it says "G05" on the bottle, and it should say it is approved for Chrysler vehicles. Note that this is NOT the same as "DexCool" as many people think. The G05 is the red while DexCool is orange.

It is available in "ready to use" (50% water)
http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ZRXZXG05RU1_0079101827

and also "full strength" (better value)
http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ZRXZXG051_0079102287

·
Registered
513 Posts
Picked up some Zerex G05 from Napa today (50/50) for 8 bucks...not bad as I only had to add a little to my existing coolant. I do however have a question as the color seemed to be CLEAR as I was pouring it out. It said it was approved for Chrysler vehicles so I assume I am ok?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well I just poured some into a clear bag and its definitely not orange...yellow/clear. Here is what I purchased

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Well I just poured some into a clear bag and its definitely not orange...yellow/clear. Here is what I purchased

that's the right stuff; look on the back of the bottle is specifically says DaimlerChrysler 2001 and newer and under the chart it gives the Chrysler specification.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i thought it was but you had commented that the G05 was RED and its not.....just making sure....thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is that one in the image 50/50 or do I have to add water I just paid 18 bucks for it at NAPA and it didn't say 50/50 on it anywhere so I added water to it... am I ok?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
for other (new) readers....

you MUST use a HOAT coolant in our cars, you cant mix non HOAT in, it can ruin long term benefits provided by the additives. "OAT" is no good either. If you dont run HOAT, you run the serious risk of internal corrosion

http://www.search-autoparts.com/sea...estandard//motorage/162005/156227/article.pdf

According to Dr. David
Turcotte of Valvoline Co., cooling
systems are mechanically
designed to work with specific
types of coolant. Filling a system
with the wrong coolant
could cause problems. In a
300-hour test of OAT coolant
in a Ford engine designed for
HOAT coolant, the water
pump impellor and backing
plate were seriously damaged

by cavitation corrosion.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you're doing a flush, you don't have to use Chrysler's coolant. I flushed my Ram a couple of months ago. I refilled it with Prestone Extended Life. I guess I'd go with the nay-sayers about mixing the stuff. Start fresh or add the HOAT.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would just get mine from the dealer. It depends where you live though. Since I live in texas and freezing temperatures dont drop like they do in nothern states we dont need our coolant to be very potent. I called a reputable dealer and asked how many gallons I need. He said just buy one after you do a flush pour the gallon in (making sure to bleed your cooling system of any air!!!!) and fill the rest up with water. Thats what we do.

BTW 1 gallon cost me about 21 dollars. I bet you spent more on yours

1 - 14 of 14 Posts