Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2008 300C SRT8 with 55k miles on it. Since I got it, the power steering pump has whined. Especially when started up from cold. I flushed the fluid and then changed what appeared to be the OEM pump with a Dorman rebuilt.
I bled the pump and started up- it whined worse than ever. When turning the wheels at a standstill I think of old Ford trucks. Sounds like a real POS.

I don't understand why this new one is so god awful. I jacked the car up and used my Mityvac to put 15in of vacuum on it for 45 minutes while turning the wheel to make sure all air was out of the fluid, and the noise did not calm down any.

I'm highly considering taking it to the dealer- which I have never done with any vehicle. I don't even want to drive it until it is fixed.

Is it worth trying another re-man pump?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
If your positive the air is all out I'd say you should try another pump... sounds like air in the rack or a line though huh?! Weird... I don't blame you for not wanting to drive it, is the wheel smooth and quick or is it stiffening out at all? Sounds to me like you have done it right but still have air or a dodgy pump.. sorry for your trouble!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yeah I would try another pump or maybe another brand of rebuild before going to the STEALER.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I would be checking for restrictions before just replacing another pump. Does this system have a filter? I've had a few cars before where there was a filter built into the reservoir, so it wasn't exactly a service item, you had to change the whole reservoir out. You can pull the pump lines and blow some air through to make sure it's all clear as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reman pumps have a high failure rate, most of it is poor workmanship. Part of it is death by installer starting up without a full system or with a restriction will ruin a new pump pretty quick. As mentioned check the fluid tank for a screen/filter that may be restricted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reservoir was pulled, and I flushed it backwards with ATF+4 to rid it of any foreign material.
I just flushed it again, and there was some metal in the bottom of the tank. Looks like I need another "new" one!

Here is how I bled the system, to make sure there was no air-

Pulled return line, and routed it to a clear bottle so I could see if there was air in the fluid. Capped the reservoir nipple and put rubber plug in fill hole, then applied a regulated 4psi to the system while I tuned the wheel back and forth. There is absolutely no air in there.

I just ordered a re-man unit from NAPA today, so I will report tomorrow what my findings are.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts