Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the RER head unit in my '08 300C died - won't turn on, but the buttons all stay lit in the blue light that they show with, even when the car is turned off and door opens. It evens stays on overnight. Nothing I can do, unplugging it, removing the fuse, even disconnecting the battery, resets the unit. Pretty sure it's gone...

So I need a new one, I guess. Can anyone suggest a source - other than the dealership which will definitely take me for all they can? I've tried eBay, but I'm worried about the functionality and durability of those units...

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have!

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,574 Posts
RER is a dealer part and there are MOPAR authorized sellers on eBay (airparkcjd is one) who have some good prices.

But why stick with an RER? Have you considered an aftermarket head unit? They are cheaper and feature rich.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RER is a dealer part and there are MOPAR authorized sellers on eBay (airparkcjd is one) who have some good prices.

But why stick with an RER? Have you considered an aftermarket head unit? They are cheaper and feature rich.
It's a good question. I'm under the impression that adding an aftermarket head unit won't be out-the-box compatible with the OEM amplifier, or my UConnect features. If these hurdles can be overcome, I'm certainly willing to consider it!

I'll also check airparkcjd on eBay...

·
19,574 Posts
They can be overcome with one or two simple harness adapters. If you decide on going with an aftermarket unit Cool_V_300C and I can help you out with what you need.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They can be overcome with one or two simple harness adapters. If you decide on going with an aftermarket unit Cool_V_300C and I can help you out with what you need.
I checked eBay and airparkcjd doesn't have any listings for RER head-units presently.

But this aftermarket head unit concept has me intrigued...

So, what would you or Cool_V_300C recommend if I had the following wants/requirements

1.) Navigation
2.) Satellite Radio (Sirius)
3.) built-in hard-drive (I'd really like that)
4.) DVD capability (would be nice)
5.) Easy to install (wiring and fascia)

and the following wishes
5.) Voice prompting
6.) Uses steering wheel controls (if possible)

My '08 has the low-speed bus, so does that have any impact on what I can install or not?

Thanks for your help, guys!! :)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I checked eBay and airparkcjd doesn't have any listings for RER head-units presently.

But this aftermarket head unit concept has me intrigued...

So, what would you or Cool_V_300C recommend if I had the following wants/requirements

1.) Navigation
2.) Satellite Radio (Sirius)
3.) built-in hard-drive (I'd really like that)
4.) DVD capability (would be nice)
5.) Easy to install (wiring and fascia)

and the following wishes
5.) Voice prompting
6.) Uses steering wheel controls (if possible)

My '08 has the low-speed bus, so does that have any impact on what I can install or not?

Thanks for your help, guys!! :)

Which sound system option does your car have? Do you have either the kicker or boston system?

You would need the PAC RP4-CH11 to adapte the aftermarket radio to your car, and this unit includes the module for the steering wheel.

When it comes to aftermarket radios, it would depend on what features you want the most.

I think for sure Kenwood Excelon has units that pretty much cover all of the items you list.
The only one that would be in question is the hard drive. I don't think many would have the hard drive covered and mostly because of the move away from that to USB, SD cards, etc.

Most every unit has a USB input where you can put as much music as will fit.

I'd look into both Alpine and Pioneer as well. Of the 3, I've put more Alpines in, but I have not had a failure with any Pioneer or Kenwood that I've worked with in the past.

With regards to voice commands, I'm assuming you mean system type commands such as "switch to disk player" or "tune to 101.1", there are only maybe a hand-full of radios that have that function, but practically all of them have "call X mobile" or "dial 1234567" type commands.

Figure out which one you think and I'm sure we can come up with what you need to get it installed and working in the car.

As far as whether your bus is high-speed or low-speed, it wouldn't matter in this case as PAC has it covered. It would have gotten a bit more interesting if we are talking putting a high-speed OEM radio into your car.

·
19,574 Posts
First of all, if you go aftermarket with your head unit, low speed or high speed buss really has no impact.

Next, any double DIN head unit up to 7" in size will fit the car. You will need a NAV center bezel from Chrysler.

I'm going to recommend three head units that (mostly) meet your needs, wants and nice to have's. They are, in no particular order, as follows:

Alpine:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Pioneer:

AVIC-7000NEX - <b>NEW!</b> - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7” WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

Kenwood:

DNX771HD | Navigation and Multimedia | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | Kenwood USA

Now you can take your list and check things off as you read each unit's specifications.

Any of those units can be adapted to work with your car and steering wheel controls. You will need a PacAudio harness for those plus a Metra antenna adapter.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which sound system option does your car have? Do you have either the kicker or boston system?

You would need the PAC RP4-CH11 to adapte the aftermarket radio to your car, and this unit includes the module for the steering wheel.

When it comes to aftermarket radios, it would depend on what features you want the most.

I think for sure Kenwood Excelon has units that pretty much cover all of the items you list.
The only one that would be in question is the hard drive. I don't think many would have the hard drive covered and mostly because of the move away from that to USB, SD cards, etc.

Most every unit has a USB input where you can put as much music as will fit.

I'd look into both Alpine and Pioneer as well. Of the 3, I've put more Alpines in, but I have not had a failure with any Pioneer or Kenwood that I've worked with in the past.

With regards to voice commands, I'm assuming you mean system type commands such as "switch to disk player" or "tune to 101.1", there are only maybe a hand-full of radios that have that function, but practically all of them have "call X mobile" or "dial 1234567" type commands.

Figure out which one you think and I'm sure we can come up with what you need to get it installed and working in the car.

As far as whether your bus is high-speed or low-speed, it wouldn't matter in this case as PAC has it covered. It would have gotten a bit more interesting if we are talking putting a high-speed OEM radio into your car.
Cool, I have the Boston Acoustics 5.1 system.

As for the hard disk, I'd actually prefer the USB or SD option, frankly. Fewer points of failure and I can simply carry music with me from place to place when not in the car...

One of the reasons that I highlighted my low-speed bus is that many (most) of the listings on eBay for replacement units were high-speeed CANBUS units. I figured that bus speed might be important to mention...

Lemme review some of the options you all have provided...Thanks to Maddog as well for putting the seed in place!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
19,574 Posts
One of the reasons that I highlighted my low-speed bus is that many (most) of the listings on eBay for replacement units were high-speeed CANBUS units. I figured that bus speed might be important to mention...

Lemme review some of the options you all have provided...Thanks to Maddog as well for putting the seed in place!
Buss speed is an issue if you want to swap in an upgraded OEM unit as they communicate over that buss. Aftermarket units don't interface with the buss which is why you need that adapter.

Hey, don't blame me for your audio modding fever... :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update, guys....

I took Sox's advice and contacted the folks over at NavRepair first, and lo and behold they got my unit back up and running!! They evaluated it for free and quoted a flat price for the repair.

Turns out a 5V regulator had burned up and they replaced it. Cost was $299 + 24 Shipping. They even worked with me on holding my unit and shipping it back at the appropriate time, as I took a long vacation out of the USA. I'm thrilled with them.

I strongly advise you, if you're having issues with your RER unit, send it to these dudes.

I appreciate all of you guys' suggestions! I guess I need to come over here and hang out more!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts