Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does or has anyone replaced fog lamps. Dealer wanted $57 to do so I am going to try to do it my self. Could someone please post how to if you know thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you having a problem with them? If so there should be no charge from the dealer!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had mine replaced by the dealer

Mine were having condensation build up in them. I had the dealer replace them under warranty. If you are having problems, I would have them replaced at the dealer as it should be covered.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jcsganga34 said:
Mine were having condensation build up in them. I had the dealer replace them under warranty. If you are having problems, I would have them replaced at the dealer as it should be covered.
No I am not having problems just wanted to put some hyperwhite blubs in fog lights just tooooo yellow against the HID lights

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't even turn mine on they look so yellow and ugly next to the HIDs. With the HIDs on I can't see any improvement in visability with the fogs on. If the hyperwhites you are installing improve night time visability please let us know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One might wish to point out that they are not supposed to improve regular nighttime visibility - they're FOG lamps. A proper set of fog lamps illuminates the area quite close to the car, extending out widely to the sides, but doesn't penetrate far down the road. They are not a fashion accessory. There is no reason for an intense light on a fog lamp - the point is to have a source of low illumination at an angle such that you get minimal fog reflection (i.e. less glare from the light hitting the water droplets). If you choose to put a bright white bulb there, go for it, but you're not improving your lighting, just your looks. I find it amusing when I see cars driving with their fog lights on all the time, thinking it makes them look cool. Fog lights are very rarely used for their intended purpose....

·
Registered
529 Posts
deegee said:
One might wish to point out that they are not supposed to improve regular nighttime visibility - they're FOG lamps. A proper set of fog lamps illuminates the area quite close to the car, extending out widely to the sides, but doesn't penetrate far down the road. They are not a fashion accessory. There is no reason for an intense light on a fog lamp - the point is to have a source of low illumination at an angle such that you get minimal fog reflection (i.e. less glare from the light hitting the water droplets). If you choose to put a bright white bulb there, go for it, but you're not improving your lighting, just your looks. I find it amusing when I see cars driving with their fog lights on all the time, thinking it makes them look cool. Fog lights are very rarely used for their intended purpose....
I agree with you deegee I have only used my foglights twice since I got the car and yes they are fog lights not fashion statements and I used to write up these people when I was a police officer or have my squad target them. They are fog lights, people, nothing more and nothing less and please not tamper with them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
deegee said:
Deegee,

Thank you for the explaination of the fog light's purpose. Makes a lot of sense. As for you finding humor in people who use their fog lights for asthetic purposes rather than function, I say more power to them. American's are crazy about their cars. If someone thinks they look cool by using their stock fog lights in good weather, good for them. I am 39 years old and have from time to time found myself looking at some of the foreign tuner cars with their neon undersides and coffee can tailpipes and thought what in the world are they thinking? Then I remember back when I was a kid, what I used to put on my '77 Olds Cutlass Supreme and how much fun I had doing it, how proud I was of my car. I now look at these customized / personalized cars and say cool!!! Good for them. I'm glad they are having fun with their cars. It's good that people can create happiness in their lives with something as simple as clicking on their fog lights. We can use more happiness in this world.

Ouch!!!! Just fell off my soapbox.
GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
deegee said:
I have a set of Sylvania Xenarc X1010s mounted where the fog lights go on my 96 Dodge Dakota. These are true HID aux low beams and the light extends out widely to the sides, but doesn't penetrate far down the road. They have an intense illumination at an angle such that I get minimal fog reflection. They give much better visability in fog than any fog light I have ever seen. I use the every night fog or no fog and can see much better because of that wide intense beam that doesn't extend very far down the road. My BMWs fog lights improved visability by giving that wide beam and I used them all the time also.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
I agree with you deegee I have only used my foglights twice since I got the car and yes they are fog lights not fashion statements and I used to write up these people when I was a police officer or have my squad target them. They are fog lights, people, nothing more and nothing less and please not tamper with them.
I'm glad there is no real crime in your area so the police can go around "targeting" the unruly masses wityh their criminally cool fog lights on. sheesh .. I'm all for cops and the important work they do.. I'm just TOTALLY against petty abuse of power.

</rant>

·
Registered
38 Posts
We really need to work on staying on topic with these posts. Poor shaggy just wants to know how he can get his foglights out. He didn't ask whether any ex police officers used to ticket people who had them on when not needed (WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE FOR ONE SECOND) I think cars with nice matching foglights look AWESOME! I myself would like to upgrade the foglights in my 300C. I would like to do this because it not only looks good (Hell it looks great) but because it greatly improves night time and foggy condition driving. The basis of a fog light is to be low to go under the fog and reflect the objects ahead back to you. If that fog light is brighter it will reflect objects better. In addition, being that they are low down on the vehicle and aimed somewhat down, not ahead, it is a wonderful way (with improved bulbs) to better illuminate the road without affecting other drivers. Now I will agree that some people put in super white bulbs, then aim them up (to be more like driving lights, as opposed to foglights). This is not only no longer useful for fog, but it is also a distraction to oncoming traffic, thus a big no-no. HOWEVER, the important point to this is that none of what I just said has ANYTHING to do with shaggy's post. So in the future, if someone asks a question and you dont agree with what they are doing or asking, go to another topic. Don't hijack the thread and call what they are attemting o do humorous. This is a public forum. If you wish, you could make a new thread titled "Stupid dumb people that have fog lights on make me mad" But I doubt it wil get a lot of views. I clicked on this thread because I was quite interested in changing out my fog light bulbs, only to be bombarded with posts that have no relevance, and prolly prevent shaggy from coming back to this forum. So thanks a lot people, I didn't realize that we were in fourth grade here! I guess coming from the Club Lexus forums to the Chrysler 300C forums is quite the step down. I thought it would be the opposite, but at least they have a little class.

Rant Over!

·
Registered
529 Posts
PixelPusher said:
I'm glad there is no real crime in your area so the police can go around "targeting" the unruly masses wityh their criminally cool fog lights on. sheesh .. I'm all for cops and the important work they do.. I'm just TOTALLY against petty abuse of power.

</rant>
If you don't like my posts them don't read them, by the was that was my job and you don't know what you are talking about so please go away!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
529 Posts
300C Madd Dogg said:
We really need to work on staying on topic with these posts. Poor shaggy just wants to know how he can get his foglights out. He didn't ask whether any ex police officers used to ticket people who had them on when not needed (WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE FOR ONE SECOND) I think cars with nice matching foglights look AWESOME! I myself would like to upgrade the foglights in my 300C. I would like to do this because it not only looks good (Hell it looks great) but because it greatly improves night time and foggy condition driving. The basis of a fog light is to be low to go under the fog and reflect the objects ahead back to you. If that fog light is brighter it will reflect objects better. In addition, being that they are low down on the vehicle and aimed somewhat down, not ahead, it is a wonderful way (with improved bulbs) to better illuminate the road without affecting other drivers. Now I will agree that some people put in super white bulbs, then aim them up (to be more like driving lights, as opposed to foglights). This is not only no longer useful for fog, but it is also a distraction to oncoming traffic, thus a big no-no. HOWEVER, the important point to this is that none of what I just said has ANYTHING to do with shaggy's post. So in the future, if someone asks a question and you dont agree with what they are doing or asking, go to another topic. Don't hijack the thread and call what they are attemting o do humorous. This is a public forum. If you wish, you could make a new thread titled "Stupid dumb people that have fog lights on make me mad" But I doubt it wil get a lot of views. I clicked on this thread because I was quite interested in changing out my fog light bulbs, only to be bombarded with posts that have no relevance, and prolly prevent shaggy from coming back to this forum. So thanks a lot people, I didn't realize that we were in fourth grade here! I guess coming from the Club Lexus forums to the Chrysler 300C forums is quite the step down. I thought it would be the opposite, but at least they have a little class.

Rant Over!
I really don't know how to respond to your ranting except to say, enjoy your time on the Lexus board!!!!!! A happy 4th grader!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
I really don't know how to respond to your ranting except to say, enjoy your time on the Lexus board!!!!!! A happy 4th grader!!!!
You don't need to respond (though your response proved my point). I am not targeting you in particular either, your post was just the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. All I ask is that we stay on subject. He wants to know how to remove his fog lights, not to be told that he is an idiot for wanting to do it. End of story. 2 years from now, someone will want to change there broken forglight, so they will search, and instead of coming across a useful thread "replacing fog lamps" they get to read about how un cool it is to do it and if you do some crazy police in Canada are gonna git you and send the whold dern squad after ya' so watch yer' back! Lame if you ask me. Just grow up (and since you are retired I am shocked that you need to be told that)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
If you don't like my posts them don't read them, by the was that was my job and you don't know what you are talking about so please go away!!!!! :mad:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I am bummed that the forums are coming to this. No one on here believes that you will get a ticket for driving with your fog lights on all the time. I called 3 police I know and they all said you are full of sh!t

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If Fog Lights were designed to be used for fog only situations then in actuality the low beams would not be able to come on with the fog lights. The purpose of the fog lights is to take advantage of the lower position where the fog is most likely not thick enough to start at ground level. Many have mentioned to use the fog lights for what they are designed for. That is fine and dandy but they are not actually true fog lights because when used by themselves they do not light the path adequately. So we turn on the low beam and then defeat that purpose of the low light (the fog lights) to light under the fog. Now we have the fog lights lighting under the fog and the low beam shinning directly into the fog making matters worse. So if you use the fog lights as true fog lights I guarantee you will either hit something or end up getting a ticket from the local authority why? Because it does not light the path enough? Many cars will not operate High beam and fog lights together for the reason of causing a blindness by lighting the fog too much it is the same principle when you have the low beam and the fog lights on at the same time. But all manufacturers will allow the low beam with the fog lights. They do this because if you try to drive with just the fog lights it would be a receipt for a disaster.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Shaggy, If you end up finding a good replacement bulb, please report it back here. I want to do exactly as you describe to get a nice white looking appearance.

I thought there was a previous thread that mentioned some bulb models, but I cannot find it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JonW said:
Shaggy, If you end up finding a good replacement bulb, please report it back here. I want to do exactly as you describe to get a nice white looking appearance.

I thought there was a previous thread that mentioned some bulb models, but I cannot find it.
I haven't installed yet but ordered a H10 Nokya Arctic whit pro halogen

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm stuck at work. Whats the diameter of our fog lights? 4"? I have some neat tricks up my sleave if so and I'd be willing to share.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts