Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm swapping my cylinder heads out with some Ebay refurbished ones. My engine overheated last summer and I hear seats start droppin' like flies once that happens. Anyway my question is this: Should I also replace the water pump, oil pump and the timing set along with it? aaaaaand I know this is a stretch but should I hone the cylinder walls and do a ring job??

·
Registered
211 Posts
When was the last time all of those components were changed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything is original on the motor except the thermostat (which ill be changing to a 180) and the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Then yes to everything! Timing set should be around 70k. More for the plastic guide than the chain. Cam and lifters wouldn't hurt either while its all apart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then yes to everything! Timing set should be around 70k. More for the plastic guide than the chain. Cam and lifters wouldn't hurt either while its all apart.

Ugggh I didnt want to drop more $$$ on the cam and lifters but I guess I should consider it. Thanks for your input!

·
Away From 300C Forum
19,587 Posts
Sorry I didnt get back to this sooner.

I agree...all those items should be replaced with that many miles on the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmmm...you say 'Timing set should be (replaced) around 70k'. My '06 5.7 has 73k, always Mobil 1. Engine/entire car is tight but I am a fiend for preventative maintenance.
Just wondering, thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hmmm...you say 'Timing set should be (replaced) around 70k'. My '06 5.7 has 73k, always Mobil 1. Engine/entire car is tight but I am a fiend for preventative maintenance.
Just wondering, thanks!
Yeah its a pretty involved job unfortunately. I am at 135k and on my second timing set. Both of mine were done at the same time as when I swapped out the cam and other top end mods so it made sense.

The real area of concern is the plastic used in the tensioner guides more so than the chain itself. There is a well known Hemi builder who even recommends 50k intervals for cammed of boosted Hemis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts