Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 300 Limited. I love the car it's a first for me. The only problem is that only my front three speakers work. The ones in the door and the rear do not. I've tried the fade and all of that but nothing does the trick. I think the factory amp has gone bad. I want to replace the amp with something else but not sure if I can. Can I buy just any speaker amp to make this work? Will I need any special adapters or anything like that? If anyone else out there has replaced the factory amp with something better I'd love to know what you did. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can only replace a factory amp with a factory amp unless you want to replace all the wiring, then you can get an adapter that give you RCA connectors to run RCA cables to an aftermarket amplifier. Then you'd need to run new wires to the speakers or at least to the amp and tap into them, but if you're going that far, might as well run the wire to the speakers. And since you're doing all that work, might as well replace the speakers.
Also, the factory amp is located under the dash on the left side of the car (left side when sitting in the car)
Good luck.

Reactions: Landers0440

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
The factory amp can stay in place and be used to send a digital signal to the aftermarket amp which is the preferred method to avoid all that wiring mentioned above. PacAudio has the harness you need to integrate an aftermarket amp to the car's stock harness. If you have steering wheel controls then there is one more you may need.

I kept my stock amp in place, added an Audison LRx 4.1K amplifier, a AudioControl LOC with summing, a Hertz 3-way component speaker set, a Focal 33A subwoofer and replaced the rear speakers with a pair of Alpine 6x9's to round out the package. Oh, and I added an Audison subwoofer variable gain control as well.

So you can wire in a new amp. Keep the old one for the signal it will provide to the new amp from within the CanBus communication system. Get a LOC (line out converter) to help manage the speaker wiring and signal distribution and, when finances permit, consider replacing all the stock speakers as Chrysler must have spent all of $0.25 per speaker.

·
Registered
562 Posts
good idea maddog, didn't think of that idea

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about this amp from Polk? PA D5000.5 - Amps | Polk Audio®
I get dealer accommodation pricing with Polk so I can get this at a really good price. Would this do the trick if I had the harness? And yes I do have the steering wheel controls so I would need the other harness as well. And when you put in your aftermarket amp where did you put it at?

·
Administrator
19,627 Posts
The amp will work just fine. Check out PacAudio dot com for harnesses to integrate the steering wheel controls.

My aftermarked amp is mounted to the underside of the rear package tray. I could have put it in the spare tire well as I don't have one but prefer to use that area for emergency kit storage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just a little confused sorry. The amp is 4ch but yet the car has 7 speakers in it. So would I just lose 4 of my speakers? And I'm checking out the harnesses on there website now but every harness I see it say "Not compatible in vehicles that have a factory amplified system."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I see you are looking at devices to help you add/replace an amp.

Are you replacing the radio as well? The answer to that would determine if you need to get any harnesses.

Options to replace what's in your car right now:

1. PAC C2A-CHY : it will bypass your tone controls, but this will give you 2 sets of RCA outputs to add aftermarket amps. It includes a remote turn-on lead as well. It will plug into the harness behind the radio.

2. Don't be concerned if you aren't using all of the speakers in the car. Basically, for a competent system, you need a left/right pair, optional rear, and a sub. That sounds like 5 channels to me.

3. The audiocontrol LC8 is a good LOC, especially if you are trying to keep the radio and stock amp. Have you determined what happened to the door speakers? It wouldn't be good if the amp is the reason you get no sound.

Now for the fun part. After you figure out how much of the system you want to keep (if any), you can narrow down your options. You mention you can get discounts with Polk.

That's good because, they make excellent products. I would suggest getting a Polk separate set for up front, a 6x9 coax for the rear, and a sub. You can go with the DX5000.5 that you've already pointed out.

What would I do?

Polk DX5000.5
Polk MM6501 for the front (tweeter in the dash where the 3.5s are, mid in the door) Adapter would be needed to fill out the 6x9 space.
Polk MM691 for the rear (should drop right in. Mine did in my cool V)

Sub Polk DXi112 (save time building a box and won't take up too much space)

I'm still worried about the 6x9's up front not playing any sound. The reasoning is that kills one of the options for adding all of this. That is using the Audiocontrol LOC. I'm afraid without the 6x9 output, there is no full range signal up front.

Additional questons: Do you have Uconnect or NAV currently? The answer may change additional suggestions I would make.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps.

Reactions: MADDOG
1 - 11 of 11 Posts