Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,

I've been very happy with what Chrysler has done with the 300 line since it introduced the 2nd GEN in 2011. The looks, styling, performance, and efficiency have only improved with age. The 3.6 Pentastar is a great choice for users that still want great MPG, but require a little get up and go for the 2ton platform.

However, there is one area I would like to see Chrysler update: the old 5.7 HEMI. This engine has been around for a very long time, and while generating ample amounts of torque and HP, it produces less power per cylinder compared to V8s used by Ford and does it less efficiently as well. Yes...it has cylinder deactivation to improve efficiency...but that is not really a solution to the problem.

I'd like to see them keep the 3.6 Pentastar and 6.1 SRT engines, but come up with a better mid-grade option. Perhaps some type of supercharged or twin-turbo 3.6? The 3.5 Eco-boost turbo that Ford uses is a beast at 365 HP / 365 Torque, and the SHO also bests the 300 in the 5.7 by at least a half second on 0-60 and a little less than that on the quarter mile.

I'm glad Chrysler has finally paired the 5.7 with the 8 speed. It gives it a bit more efficiency and slightly improved acceleration figures. I'd like to see them go further and replace it entirely. I'm sure it would be pricey since they would have to retool factories and replace multiple components on their vehicles to make the new engine compatible.

Maybe I'm just being too picky here. The 5.7 HEMI 300 is a great deal for the money....what do you guys think about a switch out? Don't kill me for suggesting we kill this legend of an engine:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hmmm. I've got an 08 with the 5.7 however, it has a tune. Low rpm, not so good. Higher? Ahhh.

Perhaps if Chrysler set up the 5.7 to run like Diablo, it might answer your question. Customers would have to run premium gas but that extra cost would be offset by better mileage - my 5.7 gets over 18+ mpg overall, unless I'm crawling around downtown. One tank got 19+ on suburban roads. Freeway? 28+.

Of course maybe MoPar has already done this as a 2015 puts out 363 horse.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmm. I've got an 08 with the 5.7 however, it has a tune. Low rpm, not so good. Higher? Ahhh.

Perhaps if Chrysler set up the 5.7 to run like Diablo, it might answer your question. Customers would have to run premium gas but that extra cost would be offset by better mileage - my 5.7 gets over 18+ mpg overall, unless I'm crawling around downtown. One tank got 19+ on suburban roads. Freeway? 28+.

Of course maybe MoPar has already done this as a 2015 puts out 363 horse.
2011 HP/Torque figures on the 5.7 are the same as the 2015...so I'm not sure how much effort they are putting into tweaking the engine.

Concur on the MOPAR tune. It is curious why Chrysler hasn't taken advantage of this money-making opportunity. People would be willing to spend the dollars on the tune at the dealer, particularly when it won't void their existing powertrain warranty.

It is a win-win for Chrysler and dealerships in my book. Any time you can get a car buyer to walk back in the door and spend money is an opportunity to get them to spend MORE money.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can easily imagine a service writer saying something like, "Say, while you in here for an alignment, I can really make her scoot. It'll only run you $700. Take a few minutes. Wanna do it?" I bet the margin on a factory approved tune would be like 80%. And they don't do it. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Sorry, but the ole 5.7 has been updated to a near state of the art pushrod engine.

Did you know it has variable cam timing? Factor in the head improvements and it is extremely efficient for its torque output. It also has a HUGE and FLAT torque curve that is very hard to beat.

Add to that its low cost and great reliability and you have a wonderful V8. My new RAM makes 395 hp and gets a routine 18-20 mpg at 5250 pounds. Should do even better in a car.

I am no fan of twin hair dryers for longevity. Complex is rarely good long term...

Reactions: silver06hemic

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry, but the ole 5.7 has been updated to a near state of the art pushrod engine.

Did you know it has variable cam timing? Factor in the head improvements and it is extremely efficient for its torque output. It also has a HUGE and FLAT torque curve that is very hard to beat.

Add to that its low cost and great reliability and you have a wonderful V8. My new RAM makes 395 hp and gets a routine 18-20 mpg at 5250 pounds. Should do even better in a car.

I am no fan of twin hair dryers for longevity. Complex is rarely good long term...

All good points of course.

I agree that it is reliable and a low cost engine, which helps Chrysler keep prices lower compared to other RWD V8 sedans. Its simplicity in many ways has advantages. Certainly adding turbos or superchargers also adds the possibility of more maintanance costs down the road.

That being said...when Chrysler replaced the old 3.5 with a completely revamped 3.6, the gains were significant in all areas. I'm curious how long Chrysler will wait to update vs. replace the 5.7 with something that is smaller and lighter, yet puts out improved HP and Torque numbers as well as better fuel economy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
All too true, but think of all the pre-2011 5.7 cars out there. Wouldn't a factory tune be nice for those owners? It sure is on my 5.7. And besides, if everyone could afford the price of a new 2015 with the more horses, they'd buy one. Anyway, my old 5.7 still runs strong so I'm going to see how much life she has in her. I'll drive her until the wheels fall off. I just hope I can get as much out of her as my wife is getting out of her 89 Camry, i.e., 297,000 miles on the original engine. A lot of people say MoPars don't last. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
nice discussion

That being said...when Chrysler replaced the old 3.5 with a completely revamped 3.6, the gains were significant in all areas. I'm curious how long Chrysler will wait to update vs. replace the 5.7 with something that is smaller and lighter, yet puts out improved HP and Torque numbers as well as better fuel economy.
I wish to point out that many owners say the 3.6 needs to be wound up to get to the power, it seems a bit peaky in the torque department, the 3.5 is much more relaxed. The 3.6 is light years more advanced, but again complexity may not be the best in the long term. Things like variable oil pump output and tons of cams, valves, and chains don't always equal a long service life.

I would LOVE to see the 3.6 with a pair of turbos, but I may not buy one...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wish to point out that many owners say the 3.6 needs to be wound up to get to the power, it seems a bit peaky in the torque department, the 3.5 is much more relaxed. The 3.6 is light years more advanced, but again complexity may not be the best in the long term. Things like variable oil pump output and tons of cams, valves, and chains don't always equal a long service life.

I would LOVE to see the 3.6 with a pair of turbos, but I may not buy one...
Interesting. That has not been my experience, but I am curious how many of those 3.6 owners have the old 5 speed vs. the new 8 speed? My ZF tranny is very responsive when I need it...but exceedingly relaxed when I'm driving normally.

The 5.7 was not an option I was interested in when I purchased my 300 because I did not want the old clunker gearbox that came with it. Now that Chrysler has paired the two (techically a heavy duty ZF to handle the extra tourque), I'm seriously considering dropping the money for a HEMI.

I haven't had a single major service issue with my 300, which now has 45000 miles on it. I did get new tires at about 35k in, but it has been otherwise unchanged. I appreciate not having to mess around on maintanence costs too much.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
My old clunky gearbox handles in excess of 550hp and tq, it also handles 0-60mph times of 3.9seconds and quarter mile sprints of mid 11 seconds... All of which done from an old pushrod 5.7... Lol.

The 5 7 is great motor, it is stout and robust, handles hundreds of thousands of miles with few hiccups in severe duty driving (Leo vehicles for example) and take to mods like fish to water...

Are they the most technologically advanced motor out there, nope, but as Steve mentioned every vehicle has its purpose and technology is not good for all. I own a vehicle in Europe and it's about as technical as it gets with high compression in 4 small cylinders with power brought on by forced induction... Great car, great mileage... Would I buy it here? Nope... No longevity, in years maybe but in miles not so much. As Steve mentioned too many moving parts and variables.

Fords Ecoboost motors are stout, no dispute there, but my friends 3 year old SHO looks good, drives dated and inside is a shambles... Its been in the dealer with emissions issues more times than I can shake a stick at and honestly all the media numbers accepted.. Is no quicker than a stock 5.7 pound for pound with the right driver. Difference at the track is the Ford is plant your foot and go, awd fixes launch and wheelspin is non existent... The hemi... Not so much... I've seen the media pip a 5.7 at 6.7 seconds to 60...all the way down to 5.6...if you brake torque a hemi it will pull timing and kill your times, too much mash and wheelspin and times gone too... Get it right and she will break 13's and pull mid 5's with ease. So a better car... Not in my opinion, an easier car... Sure.

Less displacement and forced induction is the way of the future... Its obviously in the cards, but I wouldn't go as far so to say the existing 5.7 as being antiquated and behind.

Besides... Mod it and it's a waaaaay different animal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts