Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i filled my tank up from "E" and it took 16.5 gallons. the tank is supposed to be 19 gallons. i take it this car has a reserve tank of about 2.5-3 gallons? im making sure before i take my long road trip to vegas!

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
I don't think it has a reserve tank. The needle gauges are very inaccurate too. What I do is go by the kilometers I've driven and I reset the trip odometer every time I fill up.

Bernie

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you drove a little further the LOW FUEL light will come on .It is calabrated at 1.8 or 1.9 gallons remaning,no matter what the guage reads.Not much cushion when the light comes on . Find GAS in a HURRY.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i drove my car until my low light came on. it was about on the "E" when it happened. when i had a 350z, the guys called it a reserve tank/reserve fuel or what not. i dont think the needle is uncalibrated...i think it reads this way on purpose in case someone needs to travel those extra few miles for gas or what not.

i cant remember what car it was but i drove it on "E" to a gas station (was on a test drive). it still had like 2-3 gallons left in the tank for us to do that.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
i filled my tank up from "E" and it took 16.5 gallons. the tank is supposed to be 19 gallons. i take it this car has a reserve tank of about 2.5-3 gallons? im making sure before i take my long road trip to vegas!
It's a good thing that the gauge shows "E" before you are actually empty! I had a car several years ago that was the opposite; it would run out of gas when the needle was on 1/8 tank..... NOT GOOD!

But...... you REALLY should make it a practice to fill up at the 1/4 tank level, on ANY fuel injected vehicle with the fuel pump in the tank. Any contaminants, sediment, whatever..... in the fuel settles to the bottom of the tank. The only fuel filter in our cars is the one inside the gas tank on the inlet side of the fuel pump. If you run all the way to "E" all the time you are more likely to suck these contaminants up, either clogging your fuel filter (rememeber you have to remove the gas tank to replace it) or small enough particles will end up going through the fuel pump, shortening its life. If you make it a practice to not go below 1/4 tank you will greatly prolong your fuel pump & fuel filter life. Our cars have a pretty good range on a road trip; I had no problem keeping well above 1/4 tank on my road trip last fall through Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota...... so you should have NO issues on a trip to Vegas, it's all pretty populated no matter which route you take.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
My wife ran our SRT out of gas once. When the light came on she went another 28 miles of mostly non stop. She also does not drive fast. So when that light comes on, I agree with someone else that said, caution, get gas soon.

She was going by another car that we have, Acura 3.5 RL. When the light on that car would come on you had about 60 to 65 miles left.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
not normal

I am not used to a car with such an accurate guage.

Most any car I've had has some "cushion".

Not this one!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Keeping the tank 1/4 or more also extends the life of the fuel pump,as being surrounded by liquid acts as a cooling effect for pump which builds heat running continuosly on trips of 1/2 hour or moe

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Yeah but there won't be any contaminates to suck up if you keep running it to E, lol.

I can't fricken make time to stop at the gas station every time I get down to half a tank! That'd be twice a week! F THAT!

That said, I can count on 1 hand the times I've run it down to the point the low fuel light came on, it's only happened about 3 times that I can remember, actually. One of them, was on the way to Vegas, and my bro suggested we take 223 (don't do that) through to bakersfield...

That was a stupid mistake, instead of being just in time for a gas station, I had to drive for a good 10-15 minutes with that low fuel light staring me in the eye!

Then I get into the gas station, I think the EVIC gas meters were running very close to 0L, very very close.. Pull up to a pump (well, there was only 1, and it had 2 sides), it's a little dinky gas station so the pump doesn't have a card machine or anything.

I walk inside, only to find out the station just changed owners, and that they hadn't changed over the bank stuff yet so I had to pay cash..

The only problem is with my complete lack of foresight, I only had about $8 on me, my mom doesn't generally carry cash, and my brother had run himself dry too, lol.

So I give them the $8 I had, and go to the gas pump to pump about what, 2 and a half gallons into the car? That bumped the gas gauge up a little, but it was still in the red, lol.

So I go back in, and ask the guy where the nearest station is, but the old owner had come in while I was pumping gas, and heard my conversation. That was a very lucky thing too, because I was able to use my card then and get all the gas I needed! LOL.

Ever since then I make sure to carry enough $$ to buy a little food and enough gas to get where I need to go :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
In my '05, I've noticed that the fuel gauge seemed to work in tandem with the DTE system rather than measure the absolute level of the tank and as we all know, the DTE system is quite inaccurate. I've actually seen the gauge go the other way and I know I wasn't getting a "mid-road" refueling, and there were no hills involved either.

They seem to have changed it in the '08 as it seems to be far more consistent based on my refueling records. The readings match quite well with the EVIC fuel level numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts