Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Reservoir boiling over but car not over heating

16K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Jon38464 
#1 ·
Hello, so I had my alternator replaced last week, before the alt complety gave out it caused my car to over heat, well now fans work again so cars not overheating but reservoir tank is boiling over and losing all the coolant... any ideas??

#2 ·
So what was the proof that the alternator caused the car to overheat in the first place? Been turning wrenches a long time and that's a new one...

Coolant tank bubbling could be water pump...

#4 ·
Did you ever see a battery indicator light up? I would think the fans could run on the battery for ever... and if it got so low such that fans wouldn't run, I'm pretty sure the starter wouldn't turn over to start the car.

#5 ·
Yes the battery light was on and 100% correct the car completely died would jump start last 3-4 min n die again only way I got it home, I put someone else's battery in made it home, had the alternator replaced battery recharged, u can hear the fams kick on again, but the reservoir tank boils over like the car is over heating but only that is

#8 ·
If the cap is tight, then it could be the seal or the spring, but these components are usually very reliable, so the problem could be elsewhere. Assuming the cap is OK, then for the coolant to boil away, the engine must be overheating.

Going back to your original problem - alternator failure - are you sure it was the alternator and not just a slipping drive belt? I'm not sure about your engine, but if the belt drives the water pump and hasn't been correctly tensioned then that could be the problem.

#10 ·
Ok... if the alternator puked and took out the battery with it then she'd die on you, not overheat. The relays for the fans are drawing a lot less than other items required to run your car!

I think you have a water pump issue here personally that is slowing flow down. As was mentioned above, your tensioner is good right? A slipping belt could cause a loss of coolant flow and over time your alternator to puke due to insufficient charge being created...

Reactions: pasha904
#12 ·
More likely they didn't fit the drive belt correctly. I came across this text in the Service Manual, which applies to all LX engines:

"CAUTION: When installing the serpentine accessory
drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly.
If not, the engine may overheat due to the water
pump rotating in the wrong direction."

I suggest you take the car back to the garage which carried out the work and ask them to check.

#22 ·
Im having the same issue my alternator went out last week and the the tank has broiled over both times ive drove it.is does not do it till i turn the car off.the car does not over heat though.the gauge stays at have way where it always has.and the digital coolant indicator says 202 degrees and the fans come on.i replaced the radiator cap and thermostat.water is next on the list i guess any idea's thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.