Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the modification but it looks like there are mixed opinions. Couple of questions:

1. Suitcases? What are they?
  2. Whats the difference between the above and the Resonator?
I want sound but not a loss in HP!

Give me the LOWDOWN!:fing02:

·
Registered
903 Posts
The suitcase is your friend (the middle muffler). Leave it alone. Seems like the rear reso is ok to remove, but I personally haven't done it and compared it on a dyno.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just had Blastin Bob put on a set of resonated tips to replace the rear mufflers. Sounds really good at low end and midrange. When I also put on the intake the top end got some nice sounding grunt. I'm spinning the tires more easily now so I know the combo picked me up some hp.

Not too expensive either, the used intake (I installed) and the new resonators that Bob installed was just over $300 altogether. Pretty cheap price to pick up some ponies and make the car sound a lot better.

BTW, I almost went with the straight pipes without the resonators but Bob said that unless I wanted the car to be really loud that the resonators would be a better alternative. Glad I took his advice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just had Blastin Bob put on a set of resonated tips to replace the rear mufflers. Sounds really good at low end and midrange. When I also put on the intake the top end got some nice sounding grunt. I'm spinning the tires more easily now so I know the combo picked me up some hp.
Wait until you get a thousand miles in. The Blastin' Bob's sound great when you first put them in but they sound awesome after they season. The car is definitely louder, the burble is lower and the WOT is better than when they were first installed. I had mine done last spring. I got the glasspack version.

The AFE Stage 2 CAI is coming this week :biggrin:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Leave the suitcase, just remove the resonators. It really wakes up the HEMI sound!!!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I will probably remove the resonators first to see if can handle to sound. If it is too loud I may do the Blastin Bob's or put the resonators back on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I go to a recomended muffler shop here in OC and the guy tells me that I won't be able to notice a difference with removing the resonators. I try to tell him that my loyal counterparts on this site have not only told me they have shown me via-video that this makes a huge difference.. He still argues!

Then I ask if he can install my posi-quiets for me and he said those pads are ****?? I'm like "You really don't want my business do you??"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks all! I will probably remove the resonators first to see if can handle to sound. If it is too loud I may do the Blastin Bob's or put the resonators back on.
First check with those that have deleted the resonators. See if drone is an issue. If not, go for it.

If that is too loud for you, then go for the Blastin' Bob's. Either way you will never go back to the resonated version. :)

The resonators are there for a reason. Whether it is to lessen the overall Db's to meet specs or to eliminate drone, there is a purpose. The designers and bean counters wouldn't throw 60 pounds of scrap metal back there for nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Wait until you get a thousand miles in. The Blastin' Bob's sound great when you first put them in but they sound awesome after they season. The car is definitely louder, the burble is lower and the WOT is better than when they were first installed. I had mine done last spring. I got the glasspack version.

The AFE Stage 2 CAI is coming this week :biggrin:
Glasspacks definitely improve with age!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
So I go to a recomended muffler shop here in OC and the guy tells me that I won't be able to notice a difference with removing the resonators. I try to tell him that my loyal counterparts on this site have not only told me they have shown me via-video that this makes a huge difference.. He still argues!

Then I ask if he can install my posi-quiets for me and he said those pads are ****?? I'm like "You really don't want my business do you??"
yeah thats funny.

go somewhere else. even if he didnt think it would do anything, what does he care? it's money.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Something to remember... If you have the 350 HP version w/ the different suitcase, like on the R/T or SRTD, then you must think twice about the resonator delete. I did it on my SRT Design, and it is way too loud in the interior. I'm going to need to get the Blastin Bob's kit, to quite it back down, and I'm not sure which one yet, but straight pipe is crazy droning at 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where can I find the Blastin Bobs!

Where can I find the Blastin Bob's at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

what shop did you go to lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again thanks for the tips! I went by today and met with Brian (SOCALSRT8). He has the two tone flat black lx with Magna Flow exhaust and custom wheels! Rediculous car by the way Brian!

What a great car with the perfect sound. The Magna Flow is for me, already ordered!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm interested in the modification but it looks like there are mixed opinions. Couple of questions:
  1. Suitcases? What are they?
  2. Whats the difference between the above and the Resonator?
I want sound but not a loss in HP!

Give me the LOWDOWN!:fing02:
SHARK22 this is an awesome mod! I had this done a few weeks ago but unlike most i had same sized pipes mandrel bent to replace the resonators. Picked up 19.9hp. Yes, i did a before and after on the dyno. Oh and it sounds great, with no drone at highway speeds at all. A little drone at around 1700-1800 rpm when picking up speed through the gears but nothing major. I'm very pleased with the result.
Check out my post on the Australian forum under RDP Mackay CMR Tune

·
Registered
137 Posts
Blastin' Bob was running a special which may have expired, check with him to find out. Beyond that the only other way to get one cheaper is to wait for one to come up used for sale.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Blastin Bob's 6.1 Resonator Delete..I LIKE 'EM..

I've had the BB-6.1 resonator delete kit on my car for awhile now. LOVE the sound..
Low rumble at idle, at WOT ..You know you have a Badazz HEMI..
At normal cruise..sounds like it should sound from the factory-IMO
Take off the resonators, run it like that for a week or whatever time it takes for you to
decide if you want to go forward, or go another direction. I think you'll like the BB, I
know I do..LOL..even my girlfriend says it sounds good..THAT's Great..
Stan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Alot of SRT8 guys here... Sorry but I'm wondering if any of you have SRT8 coil springs if you lowered your SRT8... I'm looking for some to mildly lower my SRT Design... I know it's off subject, and appolagize, but thought one of you might want to sell your coils. Thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The suitcase is your friend (the middle muffler). Leave it alone. Seems like the rear reso is ok to remove, but I personally haven't done it and compared it on a dyno.
That suitcase is a major choke point for the SRT exhaust. If I had a SRT 6.1, I would remove it ASAP. Why? Because it the same exact muffler as the 5.7L performance exhaust and that muffler is only 2.25" diameter piping, while the rest of the SRT 6.1 exhaust is 2.75". So you have exhaust flowing out the headers into 2.75" piping, then pinching down to 2.25" at the suitcase, then at the suitcase outlet, back into 2.75" piping to the resonators. Simply removing that suitcase should give you the largest improvement in exhaust flow for very little coin.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts