Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve seen this question been asked a LOT on these forums and I’ve gone through all the large posts but there is nothing specific.

Is it simply cutting the pipe off just at the start of the resonator and welding a different straight end of the exhaust on.

Do people keep the rest of the pipe straight?

Or if you do a turn down does that mean you won’t be able to see the exhaust from the rear.

Can someone explain this to someone that has little to no experience doing diy stuff to their car.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Your pics cannot be seen. There is an ongoing issue with pics from some hosts not being displayed.
Make sure that the image host that you are using is a secure host. https will be in the url, not http. That is one of the known issues, but they are still working on it.

One thing that has worked for some people is to right click on the image and choose view image. Then go to the address bar and copy the URL. The url must end in .JPG.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Clicking on the link allowed me to see the pictures.

·
Registered
458 Posts
All I get is, "Attached Thumbnails" with nothing to click on with firefox and internet exploder 11.

·
Registered
458 Posts
But I just found a little tiny point below those words that I was able to open in a new window, and see the picture.
There is nothing showing that point, other than the cursor changing to a pointing finger at that specific spot.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Do not remove the resonator unless you replace with something else to handle the horrific drone.

Removing or replacing the center muffler is a better idea, especially since there is a bottleneck just downstream of the muffler that is taken care of with a proper replacement or removal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Currently Away From 300C Forum
19,565 Posts
Hey all, I’ve seen this question been asked a LOT on these forums and I’ve gone through all the large posts but there is nothing specific.

Is it simply cutting the pipe off just at the start of the resonator and welding a different straight end of the exhaust on.

Or if you do a turn down does that mean you won’t be able to see the exhaust from the rear.

Can someone explain this to someone that has little to no experience doing diy stuff to their car.
Before you cut off the resonators, what engine do you have?

If it's a 5.7L MDS equipped engine, removing the resonators will result in considerable, and annoying, drone when the engine enters MDS mode. One way to avoid that, and get more sound, is to replace the stock muffler upstream in the system. This would be the recommended course of action.

If you have a V6 engine then removing the resonators wil work fine.

In answer to your question, after the resonators are removed, a replacement piece of exhaust pipe is needed as well as a new tip on each pipe to extend the exhaust back out past the rear bumper.

If you just do a turn down at the end of the pipe without extending the length back to approximately stock you won't see the exhaust.

·
19,565 Posts
Is this where the cut should go?
The cut goes just upstream of the resonator just as you have it marked in your picture.

I ran Magnaflow mufflers on my SRT8, without resonators, for some years. Since I have the 6.1L HEMI, without MDS, drone was not an issue.

Here's what the exhaust looked like after the resonators were removed and new pipe was installed:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Before you cut off the resonators, what engine do you have?

If it's a 5.7L MDS equipped engine, removing the resonators will result in considerable, and annoying, drone when the engine enters MDS mode. One way to avoid that, and get more sound, is to replace the stock muffler upstream in the system. This would be the recommended course of action.

If you have a V6 engine then removing the resonators wil work fine.

In answer to your question, after the resonators are removed, a replacement piece of exhaust pipe is needed as well as a new tip on each pipe to extend the exhaust back out past the rear bumper.

If you just do a turn down at the end of the pipe without extending the length back to approximately stock you won't see the exhaust.

It’s the V6 3.5L varient so I thought that would be okay as the drone wouldn’t be noticeable

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do not remove the resonator unless you replace with something else to handle the horrific drone.

Removing or replacing the center muffler is a better idea, especially since there is a bottleneck just downstream of the muffler that is taken care of with a proper replacement or removal.

I thought the center muffler made a considerably worst drone

·
19,565 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about drone if it's a V6. There's no MDS on your engine so it won't produce the same frequency as the 5.7L engines do when they enter MDS drone.

You will hear more exhaust noise.

If you are worried about exhaust flow with the resonators on you can put that out of your mind. They don't hinder exhaust scavenging in the system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't worry too much about drone if it's a V6. There's no MDS on your engine so it won't produce the same frequency as the 5.7L engines do when they enter MDS drone.

You will hear more exhaust noise.

If you are worried about exhaust flow with the resonators on you can put that out of your mind. They don't hinder exhaust scavenging in the system.
Too easy thank you, i was going to do it myself but to save the hassle I was quoted $120 to get it done by a exhaust shop

·
19,565 Posts
That's fairly reasonable. Ask the shop to not chop them up when removing them just in case you decide to put them back on. In fact, take them home and hang on to them for a while...just in case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's fairly reasonable. Ask the shop to not chop them up when removing them just in case you decide to put them back on. In fact, take them home and hang on to them for a while...just in case.
Will do this variant only has a single resonator though. It starts off at the front as two pipes and it merges into one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Even on my non mds 6.1 the drone was unbearable without oem resonators. It's possible I am just more sensitive to it.

I never though to do it on my v6 because its not a pleasant sounding engine when uncorked, in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even on my non mds 6.1 the drone was unbearable without oem resonators. It's possible I am just more sensitive to it.

I never though to do it on my v6 because its not a pleasant sounding engine when uncorked, in my opinion.

I’ll update on what it sounds like and if there is much drone when it’s done

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update - to anyone who is thinking about doing this, yes it is worth it.

On the v6 variant there is no drone at all from 0-100 it’s not a huge change but it sounds nicer and is louder, and not rice loud.

In reality all it’s done, has changed the exhaust sound at 7000rpm now hits at 3000rpm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 5.7 2005 300c hemi, resonators were in the middle of the car, looked like a suitcase. I had those removed and straight pipes put in , I still have the stock mufflers and tailpipes on the back. The car is slightly louder, and a small increase in the MDS sound. But overall really good, really clean, perfect for a luxury car. The car is quieter than my stock 2018 Scat Pack 392 Challenger. But no mistake , the resonators are in the middle of the car , and the Mufflers are at the back. I discussed it with the the professionals at the muffler shop. It's a common mistake

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts