Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what other's think the best RPM is for a brake launch?

·
Registered
528 Posts
1500-2000 rpm, or so I've heard.
Dont want too much wheel spin.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just for fun I let mine idle (had 400 miles on it at the time) and just punched it from a stop. As much tire spin as I wanted on a country road.

Maybe a stickier drag strip might do better, but I don't think you need to brake torque this car at all, Just punch it and don't overdo it.

I will probably experiment with both techniques first time I get the car to the strip. Be fun to try both ways.

Dynodon
Illinois
300C Magnesium

·
Registered
18 Posts
Launch

In my experience using the stock Continental tires, you can brake torque to about 1500 RPM on the street with ESP off. Depending on road conditions, you will either get a neck snapping launch or a whole lot of tire spin. If you try to brake torque with ESP on the car will fall on it's face as soon as the sensors feel any loss of traction. On the strip, the Contis are useless. The same amount of brake torque will give you endless tirespin until you let off.This was on two different tracks, both sprayed and scraped.

My best times have been with Autostick in 1st(shifts at 5500 RPM) and leaving the ESP on. I still get about 2 turns of the tires before it hooks.The car goes through the lights at the top of 3rd gear.

Each 1/10 of a second in short time equals 2/10ths overall. If BFG would make a drag radial that would fit , these cars would run 13.90's all day long. At present, my best 60 ft. is north of 2.10

I would love to see more (as in any where I am) LX Hemis at the track. Most of the cars that you read about in the magazines do not run as fast as the published times.Our cars are dead consistent, and very hard to catch by quicker cars until the 1/8 mile mark. That's why they do so well in the stoplight drags(Not that I'm advocating this :D ) Forget about the Horsepower figures, these motors make a huge amount of torque, which is why they are so effective in getting a 4200 pound brick moving so quickly.

Best ET to date, 14.13, best MPH 99.90 . That was this afternoon. 2005 Magnum RT, total factory stock, no mods. QB

·
Registered
121 Posts
QB,

Very informative, many of us have been waiting for the tracks to open up to see what these cars can do. 14.13 is very impressive!

Great post

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the AWD and can go way past 1500 RPM's without any spinning but am afraid to go further than that. I don't know how much the tranny or axle will hold. A guy out where I live just busted his axle and suspension racing around.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
With a lot of weight and a lot of power one can easily throw a rear axle and break suspension parts, especially in the modern era where cars have fat sticky tires (just ask any MB 1967-1971 300SEL 6.3 owner who likes to go fast. That car was pushing out power figures between the SRT-8 and the C, and if you floored it on an uphill on the 205/70-14 tires the rear axles would work itself loose. One guy tried wide sticky tires and tore out his suspension). I do not really think it is necessary to do much power braking with these cars. Isn't the stall speed like 2000rpms anyways? Perhaps I am too used to dainty euro cars, but it just seems like a good way to needlessly heat up a transmission. And judging from a recent post where a guy did 3 runs, 1 with power breaking 2 without (or maybe vice-versa I forget), it doesn't help the times any either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts