Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping that some of you could comment on the quality of your ride on 22" wheels (for those that have 22" wheels) or 20" (for those that have 20" wheels).

I am concerned with weight and was hoping to find a larger (20 - 22" wheel) that was similiar to weight and performance to the stock ones. Love the look but I am hoping to sacrifice little in performance, weight, and ride quality.

Thanks for any and all feedback...I am trying to decide between the two sizes, and I don't want to make a mistake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
22's

I am running 22"s. Dunlop 285/30/22 Super Sport 9000's on Bazo 22" x 8.5" rims.
The only difference I notice are when hitting rapid changing road heights such as an asphault patch. The tire leaves the road for a split second instead of the tire just absorbing the hit. So when in a long high speed curve the wheel twitches for a instant. Nothing scary but you do notice it. The rest of the time all you notice is the increase handling and increased looks. I have always had nice rides (an H2 just before this) but have never had this amount of interest in a vehicle.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
22's

Yes, here is a pic. Currently at the westcoast for the 4th. Went down and took you a picture.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
how big a tire?

K Hamlet said:
I am running 22"s. Dunlop 285/30/22 Super Sport 9000's on Bazo 22" x 8.5" rims.
The only difference I notice are when hitting rapid changing road heights such as an asphault patch. The tire leaves the road for a split second instead of the tire just absorbing the hit. So when in a long high speed curve the wheel twitches for a instant. Nothing scary but you do notice it. The rest of the time all you notice is the increase handling and increased looks. I have always had nice rides (an H2 just before this) but have never had this amount of interest in a vehicle.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
anyone know how big a tire i can safely and prudently use with stock 18" wheels? oem tire replacement is limited to one at TireRack.com. i prefer high performance sticky tire, i will not use my C in snow or ice.

·
Registered
336 Posts
the OEM size 225 60 18 is approximately equal to 245 55 18 in rolling circumfrence, and easily fits the stock wheel...There should be no clearance problems and minimal odemeter/speedometer changes. But I see tire rack only has Goodrich T/A KDWS for 89.00 tire.
BUT go to a 245 50 18 (about 1/2 inch lower profile sidewall) and there are tons of choices. Be warned, if you don't like a lot of space between your tire and fender well, this may not be the best option because a 1/2 inch is a big difference as a percentage to the whole. It may look funky but you at least would have a much better performance tire than stock.
I would like to upgrade to just 19" wheels (like my comfort) but I just haven't found the right ones yet. And I can't afford them anyway...That Visa is burnin a hole in my pocket, though! Hope that helped :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
K Hamlet:

Nice whip! Do you have any problem with the rear tires rubbing when people ride in back? Also, how is the interior noise w/the 22"s

·
Registered
51 Posts
We spent an entire afternoon putting the "20s or 22s?" question to a real world test. I took my 300C to a friend's wheelshop where we planned to swap spin, and drive with three different sets of wheels until we found the right look and ride combination.

I have to tell you that going in I was biased toward the 20s, I like having some rubber between the asphault and my wheel investment and the look of the 300C prototype was perfectly suited to my tastes.

Therefore we put a set of 20" Helo Wedge's on and took her round the block. WOW. The stock Continentals just plain suck, and unfortunately it takes the act of replacing them to truly realize what a pathetic waste of rubber tree plant they are. The handling was immediately improved, the up and down ride did not seem to change whatsoever. Very smooth. We saw some railroad tracks and accelerated (might as well!) and...OOOMPH...regretted doing so. Ouch. Yeah, you can feel the terrain alright. Still, the road divot to spinal column reaction was more than compensated for by the 100% improvement in steering feel. Did I mention the Continentals suck?

The 20s looked fantastic in comparison to the stock 18s. No contest. I was sold. Wrap em up!

But...for the sake of investigation, we put some tires on the 22 Helo Wedge's (by hand!) and after some blood, sweat and beers we had them up and mounted. Then we slowly lowered my black beauty back down to earth...

This is the moment when the heavens part, angels sing in harmony, and the entire service bay is showered in glowing light. Oh My GOD. That's MY car!?! There are moments in life when you know you've struck gold. Finding a ball with the sweet spot of the bat, feeling the laces hit your hands as you catch the game winning touchdown with two seconds to spare, or opening the mail and discovering you could be the winner of ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Yeah, it felt like that. In one act of brutal knuckle smashing effort, my vehicle vaulted in assumed worth by about twenty grand. This beast looked as if it had just chewed through its leash and broken down the gates of hell.

20s? We don't need no stinking 20s.

We immediately hit the street...literally...there is a 3" lip from the driveway to the street and we landed with the subtletly of an elephant bungee jumping on Saturn. Once on the road the car felt like it would take a crane, four story tall gorilla, or a violent act of God to dislodge the car from the pavement. Corners soon became the equivalent of yellow lights, just an excuse to accelerate. We approached an intersection where waiting for us was a dealer plated BMW 5 series. The two guys inside (I am assuming salesman and dupe) were so caught up in staring down this mystery vehicle next to them, they missed the light changing green.

So I don't count smoking them by a block length as any kind of race victory. But it felt great!

If acceleration and braking are affected by the 22s, I couldn't feel it. Frankly, even when the familiar railroad tracks repositioned my vertebrae and teeth, I was so blissfully ignorant, so awash in glory, so freakin excited about how the car handled and looked...who cares! I'll hire a chiropractor and get dental insurance. You only notice the "tha-thump" when you hit a bad pothole, exposed railroad track, or the 3" lip of a wheelshop driveway upon return. That one hurt.

The third set of rims was by MKW...I think they were MK-14s. We didn't bother with putting tires on them. Test over. SOLD! 22s it is. Helo Wedge. I'll have pics up in the next few days.

To give you an example of how drastically this alters the vehicle: We spent this past week in Sedona Arizona, just a hop skip and an hour's drive from our home. Beautiful red rock scenery, one of those rare places you can sit and stare at for hours on end...until I drive by in the Wicked Witch of the Southwest (as my children affectionately call it). We stopped to hike Bell Rock, and when we returned to the car there was a group of Japanese tourists taking turns getting their picture taken...with my car. Not the big red mountain, the evil black car. Blew my mind. But everywhere...and I mean EVERYWHERE we stopped, people approached and asked what kind of car it was, how dis I like it, "my God sir you are driving my dream".

The best moment of the trip (aside from hikes and such) was when I pulled into a parking lot and parked (intentionally) next to a shiny black CTS-V. The owner of which was coming out of the store as I exited my vehicle. I hear an "excuse me" from behind, and a nice man approaches and asks "is this the new Chrysler?".

"Why yes, it's a 300C".

"WOW"...and his jaw drops, spilling drool all over the pavement. He adds "It's about time an American car company made a car this badass".

Just then the Cadillac owner, who overheard the entire exchange I'm sure, meekly squeezed into his wedge box and crept away. Oh the irony.

Of course he did glance at the wheels with raised eyebrows! Bwoohoohahahahahahaha!

·
Registered
42 Posts
K Hamlet said:
Yes, here is a pic. Currently at the westcoast for the 4th. Went down and took you a picture.

Let me know what you think.
wow! i love those rims! i have always liked "plainer" (i guess is the word, but less of the spider web wierd designs) a good clean 5 spoke or somthing similar--there is a real nice pic of someones 5 spoke on the Visual mods page

these look fantastic! do you have any more pics? i would love to see them.
and is yours black or midnight? thanks again--looks awsome

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tibbs said:
We spent an entire afternoon putting the "20s or 22s?" question to a real world test. I took my 300C to a friend's wheelshop where we planned to swap spin, and drive with three different sets of wheels until we found the right look and ride combination.

I have to tell you that going in I was biased toward the 20s, I like having some rubber between the asphault and my wheel investment and the look of the 300C prototype was perfectly suited to my tastes.

Therefore we put a set of 20" Helo Wedge's on and took her round the block. WOW. The stock Continentals just plain suck, and unfortunately it takes the act of replacing them to truly realize what a pathetic waste of rubber tree plant they are. The handling was immediately improved, the up and down ride did not seem to change whatsoever. Very smooth. We saw some railroad tracks and accelerated (might as well!) and...OOOMPH...regretted doing so. Ouch. Yeah, you can feel the terrain alright. Still, the road divot to spinal column reaction was more than compensated for by the 100% improvement in steering feel. Did I mention the Continentals suck?

The 20s looked fantastic in comparison to the stock 18s. No contest. I was sold. Wrap em up!

But...for the sake of investigation, we put some tires on the 22 Helo Wedge's (by hand!) and after some blood, sweat and beers we had them up and mounted. Then we slowly lowered my black beauty back down to earth...

This is the moment when the heavens part, angels sing in harmony, and the entire service bay is showered in glowing light. Oh My GOD. That's MY car!?! There are moments in life when you know you've struck gold. Finding a ball with the sweet spot of the bat, feeling the laces hit your hands as you catch the game winning touchdown with two seconds to spare, or opening the mail and discovering you could be the winner of ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Yeah, it felt like that. In one act of brutal knuckle smashing effort, my vehicle vaulted in assumed worth by about twenty grand. This beast looked as if it had just chewed through its leash and broken down the gates of hell.

20s? We don't need no stinking 20s.

We immediately hit the street...literally...there is a 3" lip from the driveway to the street and we landed with the subtletly of an elephant bungee jumping on Saturn. Once on the road the car felt like it would take a crane, four story tall gorilla, or a violent act of God to dislodge the car from the pavement. Corners soon became the equivalent of yellow lights, just an excuse to accelerate. We approached an intersection where waiting for us was a dealer plated BMW 5 series. The two guys inside (I am assuming salesman and dupe) were so caught up in staring down this mystery vehicle next to them, they missed the light changing green.

So I don't count smoking them by a block length as any kind of race victory. But it felt great!

If acceleration and braking are affected by the 22s, I couldn't feel it. Frankly, even when the familiar railroad tracks repositioned my vertebrae and teeth, I was so blissfully ignorant, so awash in glory, so freakin excited about how the car handled and looked...who cares! I'll hire a chiropractor and get dental insurance. You only notice the "tha-thump" when you hit a bad pothole, exposed railroad track, or the 3" lip of a wheelshop driveway upon return. That one hurt.

The third set of rims was by MKW...I think they were MK-14s. We didn't bother with putting tires on them. Test over. SOLD! 22s it is. Helo Wedge. I'll have pics up in the next few days.

To give you an example of how drastically this alters the vehicle: We spent this past week in Sedona Arizona, just a hop skip and an hour's drive from our home. Beautiful red rock scenery, one of those rare places you can sit and stare at for hours on end...until I drive by in the Wicked Witch of the Southwest (as my children affectionately call it). We stopped to hike Bell Rock, and when we returned to the car there was a group of Japanese tourists taking turns getting their picture taken...with my car. Not the big red mountain, the evil black car. Blew my mind. But everywhere...and I mean EVERYWHERE we stopped, people approached and asked what kind of car it was, how dis I like it, "my God sir you are driving my dream".

The best moment of the trip (aside from hikes and such) was when I pulled into a parking lot and parked (intentionally) next to a shiny black CTS-V. The owner of which was coming out of the store as I exited my vehicle. I hear an "excuse me" from behind, and a nice man approaches and asks "is this the new Chrysler?".

"Why yes, it's a 300C".

"WOW"...and his jaw drops, spilling drool all over the pavement. He adds "It's about time an American car company made a car this badass".

Just then the Cadillac owner, who overheard the entire exchange I'm sure, meekly squeezed into his wedge box and crept away. Oh the irony.

Of course he did glance at the wheels with raised eyebrows! Bwoohoohahahahahahaha!
I have read your posts over on the Edmunds' site. You do have a literary way about you; always a pleasure to read. By the way, I too am in the Valley of the Sun. Where did you purchase? Aside from the tires, what mods have you added? On behalf of the 300C world, please post pictures!

Regards.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Me and my mods

So far the only mods I've done are the wheels, removing the mid-frame resonator for the exhaust, the K&N air filter upgrade, window tint, Chrysler charcoal flavored mats on the interior (major improvement to the light interior), and adding a very tasteful chrome skull and cross bones to the dash (so people know who owns this witch).

Next up will be a wood trim kit. I am not a big fan of the mesh grills (crowd gasps), but if they come up with a vertical bars edition of the T-Rex billet ala "The Car", I may have to jump at it. I'm also considering changing some of the seat surfaces to a different material. For some reason my back sweats like Floridian rainfall in this car's seats even with the air conditioning set at "Antartica".

And if anyone finds a dealer that has blackout lens covers for the grotesquely huge rear tailights, please let me know. I'm considering buy a second set, stripping off the lenses and tinting them myself...with cutouts for the lights of course.

If these attached photos show up, forgive the 'Sasquatch sighting' quality of them. They were taken by a very ancient video camera (almost two years old, a technological dinosaur). I'll break out the neighbor's 5 pixel cam later this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
22's 285's

JDUB34 said:
K Hamlet:

Nice whip! Do you have any problem with the rear tires rubbing when people ride in back? Also, how is the interior noise w/the 22"s
No rubbing problems except when the car is raised. Such as when the wheels are being installed. When you set it down the suspension geometry changes and gives it enough room. I took it out to a country road, 100+ MPH and no problems even got a little air. It might of rubbed, but was so breif could not see any tire blems or maybe the shocks keep the suspension from drooping due to the breif time the car was airborne. I am 6'2" 340 pounds my son is 6'4" 260 pounds. When to the coast took him and a skinny friend about 125 pounds. No rubbing anywhere. I think I will lower it 1" to 2", When Ebach gets their springs out. should be 3 or 4 weeks. Also depending upon the road surface road noise was from eaisly hearable to non-existant.
Oh I did have to use spacers to position the wheels centered in the wheelwell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rubber band man

265/35s...if that even qualifies as rubber. The tires are more or less "friction/spark reducers" for the rims. Again, the pictures don't do them justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Tibbs epiphany

I definitely couldn't have said it better than Tibbs.

22's are the way to go. My tire guy put on 20's and then the 22's and the beast awoke. It just works on this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice Ride!!

Tibbs said:
265/35s...if that even qualifies as rubber. The tires are more or less "friction/spark reducers" for the rims. Again, the pictures don't do them justice.
Hey Tibbs, if you get the chance how about posting a better quality picture of your RIDE!! :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sweet Ride!

vengra said:
I definitely couldn't have said it better than Tibbs.

22's are the way to go. My tire guy put on 20's and then the 22's and the beast awoke. It just works on this car.
Hey Vengra, what is the type and size of your rubber? If you get a chance could you post another picture of your ride with the grill showing? :D

1 - 20 of 355 Posts