Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
I live in Minnesota and we have a corner on the pothole market. With my 22's the car handles so good I don't hit them anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
been to minnesota while its no beverly hills with street conditions its not even 20 percent of new york philly new jersey streets. In consumer reports and cnn and usatoday this area is number one two and three in bad street conditions New york 1 Pennsylvania 2 and New Jersey 3 so let me see how long your beautiful 22 inch rims on 30 series tires will last. Now dont get me wrong it looks excellent but not in this part of the country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Anybody consider the fact that dubs make the car look like a Tonka Toy?
Remember: Tonka Toy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Redman said:
Anybody consider the fact that such large rims make the car look like a Tonka Toy?
Remember: Tonka Toy.
I do! :D Some 22" rims setup, especially the ones that protrude out make the 300 and Magnum look like SUV's. IMO, no matter what size rim and wheel you select it should be inside the fender/wheel well or at least flush with the fender lip. I think some of these protunding setups will be troublesome in the longrun especially when they try to lower the car and the wheel has the wrong offset or the tire is too wide to fit inside the wheel well!

This is what the 300C Concept car had and probably what the upcoming SRT-8 version will be running:

245/45/20 front
275/40/20 rear

I want this setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
285's on an 8.5" rim

magnesium said:
KHAMLET: What did your tire shop say about putting a 285 section width on an 8.5" rim? I think that's out of spec, but it looks like it worked just fine. In fact, it seems to afford you with a little rim protection, which will no doubt come in handy.
My tire guy said not to worry about the spec. He had fudged on the specs before with great results. As a matter of fact this may be why I seem to have a great ride where a few others don't. The tread surface is as as flat as it would be on a 9.5" rim (I checked another setup for a different car/customer). I personally like the rubber out slightly more than the rim (appearance as well as protection). You can see from the attached photos (previous post, this thread) it fits very well. As far as the condition of the roads in Bakersfield, we had a visit from our President (of the US) a couple months ago. His first comment to the press was that we need to get our potholes fixed. Evidently his Limo ride from the airport jarred his teeth a few times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
bakersfield no new york or PA but the president does not even drive here he gets helivac in. so that show you how he feels about our roads but it might be the crime rate too lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
K Hamlet said:
My tire guy said not to worry about the spec. He had fudged on the specs before with great results. As a matter of fact this may be why I seem to have a great ride where a few others don't. The tread surface is as as flat as it would be on a 9.5" rim (I checked another setup for a different car/customer). I personally like the rubber out slightly more than the rim (appearance as well as protection). You can see from the attached photos (previous post, this thread) it fits very well. As far as the condition of the roads in Bakersfield, we had a visit from our President (of the US) a couple months ago. His first comment to the press was that we need to get our potholes fixed. Evidently his Limo ride from the airport jarred his teeth a few times.

No rubbing anywhere to be found? Interesting. That could mean that those of us who opt for 20" wheels could use a 275/40/20 - almost a dead ringer for the OD of the stock tires. Lots of tires to choose from, to boot.

Most tire shops won't mount outside manufacturer specs, but in this case it seems like a winner. Love to see if those 270's fit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
285's do fit without rubbing

magnesium said:
No rubbing anywhere to be found? Interesting. That could mean that those of us who opt for 20" wheels could use a 275/40/20 - almost a dead ringer for the OD of the stock tires. Lots of tires to choose from, to boot.

Most tire shops won't mount outside manufacturer specs, but in this case it seems like a winner. Love to see if those 270's fit...
The 285's do not rub, ANYWHERE. I took my 300C on a big test yesterday. I went to lunch and took my purchasing agent, warehouse manager and a salesman (someone had to pay for the lunch).
I weight 340, my P.A. weighs 380, my W.M. weighs 190, salesman weighs 200. Quite a load and no rubbing, purposly entered driveways at different angles, did not slow down on dips, etc.
As I stated previously in this thread, if the tires are positioned just right in the wheelweel they work fine.You do have to use spacers to tweak their location. I may have set the record for the heaviest load in a 300C.
Good luck, just check Dunlops website for tire specs 285/30ZR22 Super Sport 9000's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Did you guys also check inside by actually running your hands and/or getting on the ground to look?

I once changed 'only' the offset inward by 4mm, which is 0.15 inches, versus OEM and drove the car for weeks and accidently discovered inside rubbing when I was on the ground looking at the suspension.

Who would have guessed that going from an 18X8 et31 to 18X8 et35 with the same OEM tire size would rub. The inside sidewall of the tire rub on this nut:



Since the LX chassis is based on Mercedes design - that nut is now above the tire instead of behind it like my W210 chassis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Front Clearance

Yes, that is the major obstacle on the front suspension. Here is a shot of mine with the Dunlop 285's in place. Sorry for the quality. Your right, a picture of this could be helpful to those that have yet to purchase wheels.

This gives a view with the car on the ground at ride height
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Thanks for the Photos

Thanks K and Kev,

I found your photos interesting and informative.

Best,

George Ferguson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
magnesium said:
No rubbing anywhere to be found? Interesting. That could mean that those of us who opt for 20" wheels could use a 275/40/20 - almost a dead ringer for the OD of the stock tires. Lots of tires to choose from, to boot.

Most tire shops won't mount outside manufacturer specs, but in this case it seems like a winner. Love to see if those 270's fit...
Magnesium,

FWIW, the site www.bigwheels.net recommends 275/40/20's for the 300 with 20 X 9 wheels. They also say that they guarantee all their packages to fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
wardog said:
Magnesium,

FWIW, the site www.bigwheels.net recommends 275/40/20's for the 300 with 20 X 9 wheels. They also say that they guarantee all their packages to fit.
Yeah, they're the best fit it terms of rolling circumference/diameter, but I'm wondering how they'll work on an 8.5" rim (under spec) with a wheel close to factory offset (ie: MC2's FZ6). We'll see.

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Magnesium,

Out of curiosity, why is it that you are reluctant to go with the 255/45s Toyo Proxe STs? Is it some objection to the wheel itself, or do you believe that using the 270/40 size offers some advantage itself and you prefer one of the brands available in this size?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
300C4ME said:
Magnesium,

Out of curiosity, why is it that you are reluctant to go with the 255/45s Toyo Proxe STs? Is it some objection to the wheel itself, or do you believe that using the 270/40 size offers some advantage itself and you prefer one of the brands available in this size?
To be honest, for all the positive reviews, it's a truck tire - and looks like one. I also don't like having one choice in any purchase decision. That's all.
 
41 - 60 of 355 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top