Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just finished searching this whole site so i could find an answer...

What rim and what tire size have people been using to drag race or road race other than the stock 20's... We are thinking of using a 17 inch rim with mickey thompson E.T. Street drag radial but don't if there will be a clearance problem and how bad it might be with the gears, suspension, tachometer and speedomoter. Maybe an 18' wheel with BFGs KDWs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
you might want to pm needforspeed.....I believe he's running an 18"w/t combo and has been at the the track quite a bit. Good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
It shouldn't be that difficult. Just use the total wheel diameter and get 15-17" wheels with a tall enough sidewall to come close to the stock measurement. Get the proper offset so you have clearance and WALLA!

Why are you asking anyway Mustang boy? ;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Believe me, there are no options for a wheel and tire combo to come to the same overall diameter as stock .... a whopping 29" 's ....

Unless, you can fit an 18" wheel, with a 305 series drag radial that was made for the Lightning ...... personally, I don't think a 305 will fit without rolling fenders ....

I was going to have Bogart custom make some wheels, and I could have had them make a 17", but then, no one had a drag radial that would fit a 17, and give a 29" overall diameter ..... (which if you care for aesthetics at all, you will want to have a same as stock overall diameter)

Instead, I decided not to do the custom wheels, apparently Mickey Thompson and others will have larger tire options sometime next year .....

In the meantime, I bought some 18x8.5's from the tire rack, that are of the correct offset, and I installed a 265/40/18 BFG Drag Radial for the rear, and an 245/45/18 BFG KDW for the front ... this way, when I go to the strip, they will all match eachother for overall diameter .....

So, unfortunately, they are all 2"'s shorter than stock, they will probably look a little weird on the car, unless I lower it with some H&R's ...... which, I don't think lowering the car by 4"'s is a good idea .....

I will only use them for the strip, then they double as my winter wheels for the winter .....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
need4speed said:
Believe me, there are no options for a wheel and tire combo to come to the same overall diameter as stock .... a whopping 29" 's ....

Unless, you can fit an 18" wheel, with a 305 series drag radial that was made for the Lightning ...... personally, I don't think a 305 will fit without rolling fenders ....

I was going to have Bogart custom make some wheels, and I could have had them make a 17", but then, no one had a drag radial that would fit a 17, and give a 29" overall diameter ..... (which if you care for aesthetics at all, you will want to have a same as stock overall diameter)

Instead, I decided not to do the custom wheels, apparently Mickey Thompson and others will have larger tire options sometime next year .....

In the meantime, I bought some 18x8.5's from the tire rack, that are of the correct offset, and I installed a 265/40/18 BFG Drag Radial for the rear, and an 245/45/18 BFG KDW for the front ... this way, when I go to the strip, they will all match eachother for overall diameter .....

So, unfortunately, they are all 2"'s shorter than stock, they will probably look a little weird on the car, unless I lower it with some H&R's ...... which, I don't think lowering the car by 4"'s is a good idea .....

I will only use them for the strip, then they double as my winter wheels for the winter .....
Huh?

Look here for comparable sizes:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2548&prmenbr=361
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
vvv90 said:

HUH what ?

You just linked to a bunch of MT options that are for 15" and 16" wheels .... ???? If you can find a 15 or 16" wheel to fit our calipers and rotors ... I'll be the first to buy them believe me ....

Bogart said that they could not possibly make a 15 or a 16 to fit ....and once you get into the larger 17 and 18" options, most of them are out of the picture, or don't have any kind of selection .....

I spent numerous hours on the phone with Mickey Thompson, Bogart, BFG, Hoosier ... Tire rack .. my local tire suppliers ....

Some said that they would have other options for "larger" wheels next year .....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Sorry VVV90 , didn't mean to sound harsh .... I just spent a lot of time on this and had MT, Hoosier and BFG all tell me the same thing .... They did not have any drag tire, or drag radial that would fit a 17", or 18" that would give me as close to 29" overall diameter ..... Unless I could drop down to a 15", they had all kinds of stuff .....but, I don't feel like downgrading my rear brakes right now ....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
need4speed said:
Sorry VVV90 , didn't mean to sound harsh .... I just spent a lot of time on this and had MT, Hoosier and BFG all tell me the same thing .... They did not have any drag tire, or drag radial that would fit a 17", or 18" that would give me as close to 29" overall diameter ..... Unless I could drop down to a 15", they had all kinds of stuff .....but, I don't feel like downgrading my rear brakes right now ....
No problem, I keep forgetting how friggin' huge our brakes are. You could swap out rear rotors and calips for 300 limited rear rotors dependig on how small they are and about how that changes the proportioning of the brakes...I dunno, but that IS drastic.

Even though 18's are the biggest DR's on the market, considering the current "Huge wheel" aftermarket boom and the new Vette with 20's standard, and the new Shelby GT500 which I believe has 20's standard, I'm positive the aftermarket will be stepping up shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i think i like the 18' rims with the BFG's and wait for the mickey thompson...

why do i ask ? you ask? well this is my neighbors car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
You know, it's funny ... I guess downgrading the rear wouldn't be all that bad ... but then you have the aesthetics ... which I wouldn't like ....

Well, speaking to BFG, Hoosier and MT, they all suggested that larger tire options were coming because of the market ... (so many cars with 18's, 19's & 20's)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
vvv90 said:
No problem, I keep forgetting how friggin' huge our brakes are. You could swap out rear rotors and calips for 300 limited rear rotors dependig on how small they are and about how that changes the proportioning of the brakes...I dunno, but that IS drastic.

Even though 18's are the biggest DR's on the market, considering the current "Huge wheel" aftermarket boom and the new Vette with 20's standard, and the new Shelby GT500 which I believe has 20's standard, I'm positive the aftermarket will be stepping up shortly.

I'm pretty sure the GT500 is coming with 19" wheels and the new Z06 comes with 18"fronts and 19" rears. I think (like i said....think) the SRT8 is the only car in it's class with stock 20" rims.........we also have the largest vehicle of the bunch, but big by other manufacturers standards right now is still 19".............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
I'm pretty sure the GT500 is coming with 19" wheels and the new Z06 comes with 18"fronts and 19" rears. I think (like i said....think) the SRT8 is the only car in it's class with stock 20" rims.........we also have the largest vehicle of the bunch, but big by other manufacturers standards right now is still 19".............

I coulda' sworn they were 20's, but I think you're right. Even the Z is getting 19's.


Well then, let's just hope the SRT-8 of all flavors sells is high volumes. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
vvv90 said:
I coulda' sworn they were 20's, but I think you're right. Even the Z is getting 19's.


Well then, let's just hope the SRT-8 of all flavors sells is high volumes. :D



it kinda suprised me too, when I read the spec. sheet, but they are also 35 series tires on there as well.......some big ol' meats ( on the z )
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,071 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
it kinda suprised me too, when I read the spec. sheet, but they are also 35 series tires on there as well.......some big ol' meats ( on the z )

19's are better for performance anyway, but I could swear the C6 concept/show debut model had 20's. I must be going nuts.

They look good though since the car is smaller.

I'm thinking at least a 19" drag radial will be available soon. I'm sure those or maybe even 18's will fit the rear calipers and should be a comparable overall diameter to our 20's......hopefully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
vvv90 said:
19's are better for performance anyway, but I could swear the C6 concept/show debut model had 20's. I must be going nuts.

They look good though since the car is smaller.

I'm thinking at least a 19" drag radial will be available soon. I'm sure those or maybe even 18's will fit the rear calipers and should be a comparable overall diameter to our 20's......hopefully.

yeah, the brake calipers on this car are HUGE.......not that I'd want to change them though (although some new pads for the street are needed) probably takes a good size caliper and pad to stop a 4200lb car with around 400rwhp...............speaking of which, anyone know how big the calipers are on the SL/CL55????? CL55 is somewhere around 4600lbs and that car comes with 19" stock wheels, even though most people who buy an AMG aren't worried about drag radials now are they........ :)

18"s seem to be the way to go for the strip......especially some light ones.......less unsprung weight and rotational inertia........carbon fiber (I know they are in developement, but can you imagine the cost of admission......????)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top