Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It was a cold day here in Buffalo and I tried opening my two front doors, only to find that they were kind of icey. I tugged gently and each door opened slowly - I figured it was ice in the door jam.

But when I looked underneath the door, I discovered the REAL problem: The door seal was stuck to the door frame and was pulling out of the door! How frustrating! So now it's dangling underneath the door, looking a bit stretched (and of course, you can hear the wind whistling by).

Is this a warranty issue? I have NEVER had this happen, even to an old car, so I don't want to get a hard time at the dealer. My car has 13,000 miles on it, and I somehow doubt that I would be having this problem with a Camry or an Accord.

Let me know if you've had this problem or if you think the dealer should (or shouldn't) service this as a warranty issue.

Thanks much.
Chris

·
Administrator
14,572 Posts
crispiegee said:
Hello all,

It was a cold day here in Buffalo and I tried opening my two front doors, only to find that they were kind of icey. I tugged gently and each door opened slowly - I figured it was ice in the door jam.

But when I looked underneath the door, I discovered the REAL problem: The door seal was stuck to the door frame and was pulling out of the door! How frustrating! So now it's dangling underneath the door, looking a bit stretched (and of course, you can hear the wind whistling by).

Is this a warranty issue? I have NEVER had this happen, even to an old car, so I don't want to get a hard time at the dealer. My car has 13,000 miles on it, and I somehow doubt that I would be having this problem with a Camry or an Accord.

Let me know if you've had this problem or if you think the dealer should (or shouldn't) service this as a warranty issue.

Thanks much.
Chris
I think any dealer wouldn't have a problem covering it under warranty. Seems pretty srtaight forward to me. The seal failed.

Rambit

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
I would say it definitely is a warrany issue... and points at the water retention issues with the doors and seals that many have brought up in the past.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much, guys! I wasn't aware of the water retention issues, since I've mostly been posting on motorcycle chat boards, of late.

[By the way, I'm not closing out this topic to future posts or suggestions, so if anyone else wants to weigh in - feel free.] :)

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
I bet you'll have a problem getting it covered under warranty, as a corporate stance will say, arguably, that the seal functioned as designed... it kept out the water, and you forcefully opened the door improperly after discovering it was malfunctioning.

not my story, but might be the dealers side of the argument. You'll have to decide ahead of time how much you want to fight the dealer over principle, as it can't be that expensive to just buy the molding (relative to your means).

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Definitely warranty.

There were some door seal quality issues with early (04) production models. The entire seal assembly should be replaced on that door. Other doors should be checked as well.

If you plan to keep your vehicle for the long term, it is a good idea to go over the seals with silicone spray to keep them soft and pliant.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the exact same problem and the dealer replaced it no questions asked. No problems with it this year yet. Cross your fingers. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
crispiegee said:
My car has 13,000 miles on it, and I somehow doubt that I would be having this problem with a Camry or an Accord.
Must be why Toyota and Honda dont have Service Departments at their dealerships, lol. When I worked at Honda they sprayed the door weatherstrip with silicone spray at every oil change, I wonder what started them doing that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
just had the same thing happen to me, the weather stripping froze to the frame and ripped off the bottom of the door. Also i noticed where the stripping was supposed to be attached to the door was covered in ice. i have a service appointment tomorrow we'll see what happens?

Does anyone know if the dealer usually have weather stripping in stock?

·
Registered
46 Posts
lgret13 said:
just had the same thing happen to me, the weather stripping froze to the frame and ripped off the bottom of the door. Also i noticed where the stripping was supposed to be attached to the door was covered in ice. i have a service appointment tomorrow we'll see what happens?

Does anyone know if the dealer usually have weather stripping in stock?
Dealer is replacing the weather stripping but have none in stock, they said it may two weeks to get it:sigh:

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
Glad it worked out!! Looks like you have a decent dealer.... at least they didn't balk at paying for something cheap like I thought they might. Hopefully that's the last of your problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts