Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocker Panel Cover came off! HELP!
Had a bit of a mis-hap yesterday with my car. I didn't see an extended curb when I pulled out of a parking space, and I hit it with the side of my car. It sounded much worse than it was. I got out of the car, and here was the plastic rocker panel cover laying on the ground next to my car. What the &%$#! I didn't even know this was a cover. Well it has a few scrapes and scrathes on it, but is still pretty much in tact. I did notice that it was attached by some clips and fasteners that go into the metal body panel. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Can I buy additional attaching clips and re-attach this myself? I don't even want to guess what a dealership body shop would chatge to do this for me. I think they would just order a new panel, and clips and paint it to match my car. (Satin Jade) Does anyone have a body service manual that shows what I have to do? There is a part number label that says "SILL CLADDING-RIGHT OWG14AP4AE and also the number 548620.
Any and all help would be appreciated very much! Thank you!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you sure that is what happened? :wink1: I think it came off while you were on the highway and now it's gone. If that is the case your dealership should replace it under warranty.

Rmedina

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good story....but I doubt they would believe me! There are about a dozen of those plastic christmas tree type clips holding it in place. Highly unlikely all would come off at the same time.....but then, this car was assembled by humans working on an assembly line..... hmmmm! Nah, no way! ???

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Sorry..can't buy the clips..have to buy the WHOLE Rocker Panel..
I know,'cause I did the SAME thing as you.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My driver's side rocker panel was damaged in transit to the dealer. I watched them replace it. The rear wheel had to be removed. It was difficult to remove; however, the replacement snapped in place easily.

The panel came prepainted. I asked about this and was told that previously (this happened in Jan 05) the panels had to be painted; but, they are now available painted.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
mojoman said:
Good story....but I doubt they would believe me! There are about a dozen of those plastic christmas tree type clips holding it in place. Highly unlikely all would come off at the same time.....but then, this car was assembled by humans working on an assembly line..... hmmmm! Nah, no way! ???
MJ, these cars have a history of dropping rocker panel covers. In fact, I have a loose one on the right. I will let my service dept know so that they can repair it under warranty.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had a curb take mine off backing out of a parking spot at the movie theater. DOH! $300 and change later I have a brand new painted one. The dealer told me they charge $155 for the rocker itself. Let this be a lesson for all, if your backing out of a parking space and your tire goes up on the curb. Do not continue, go forward and straighten her out and don't cut the wheel so sharp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was out shopping earlier today and was near a Chrysler dealership so I stopped in to get an estimate on replacing the rocker molding, Here is the breakdown,
Rt Rocker molding $155.00
Clips pkg 5.00
Body labor 28.80
Paint labor 43.20
Paint supplies 21.60
------
$253.60
sales tax 10.90
---------
total $264.50
I decided to buy the attaching clips and try and re-attach it myself. There are some pretty nasty scrapes on the molding, but I figure they really aren't that noticeable down there. I superglued a piece that was still attached to the wheel lip. I will find out if it works or not. The write up guy said that the part was not painted from the factory, so they have to paint it in the body shop. That doesn't jive with what frank29 has reported. The dealer is probably trying to just pad the bill I bet! Anyways I appreciate all the feedback from you forum buddies. I was shocked to hear I was not the only one that had this mis-hap.. As I am writing this, I am looking out the window and watching it SNOW! Up to 8 inches by morning is the forecast here in the Detroit area.. Yuk! our first big snow of this winter season, so I doubt I will be repairing my 300C any time soon!
Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions! :wave:

·
Registered
108 Posts
This happened to my wife as well, I just went to the dealer & bought the clips & put them in and good as new, there wasn't that much damage to the rocker panel, it just broke 4 of the clips & a little scrape at the bottom.

·
Registered
448 Posts
mojoman said:
.....I was shocked to hear I was not the only one that had this mis-hap........
I guess I'm lucky my driver's side panel is still attached. A month or two ago, I took a sharp right out of a gas station that is literally shoe horned into this tiny space.....anyway, there was the most terrible noise. I scrapped multiple holes (4-6" grooves cut all the way through) into the very bottom of the rocker panel. Like your's, it is not noticeable...but, I know it's there, damnit. At least it stayed attached: I remember somebody posting many moons ago about arriving home to discover the panel gone for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was also told the rocker panel is not painted from the factory. I had to pay in advance because the dealer told me they had several occurances where they painted them before the customers paid and then these customers were a no show and they still have them. I was also told when I called them in the morning that the paint was still tacky and to show up that afternoon to get it installed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
was also told the rocker panel is not painted from the factory
This is correct. They do not come from the factory painted. Think about it. If
they did, then the factory would have to keep all kinds of different rocker panels
around, for all the different color cars they have.

And if they shipped them pre-painted, they would get scratched up, and have to be
painted again at the dealer anyway.

Its the same for all the body parts. They come from the factory unpainted, so that
the individual dealers and body shops can order just one, and paint it as its needed.

It just makes good business sense.

The rocker panels are black plastic from the factory, and they all have to be prepped
for paint and clear coat at the dealer/body shop.

Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am waiting for a call from the body shop as we speak. Sill came off when a pickup truck carrying a load of metal posts dropped one on the HWY, knocked it right off. So get the rocker from dealer, body shop paints the piece, and the dimensions are totally different for the rocker piece. The part has been superseded by this new part. Excuse me for just quoting what my body guy told me but for right now this is all I know. Body guy says that instead of clipping under the pinch weld, it clips right onto it somehow, so the rocker molding is not as wide as the old piece. I will update you and hopefully get some pictures of it when it's off the car. Chrysler sent the wrong clips 2X already and it's been there for a week. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same thing happened to me, (well, my wife)....she was "forced" over a curb by an inattentive driver. A little more than $300 and it was good as new.....oh well....

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK here is the update. I talked to the Body shop today and this is what he said; "the rocker panels are made by an different manufacturer than Chrysler but are sold by Chrysler as a Chrysler part" Anyway the part that was manufactured to replace the original rocker or (sill cladding) was manufactured wrong. Chrysler is running around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to figure out what went wrong. In the meantime I have no molding on the right side of my car. The body guy says they found one out of state that they are shipping to MN and hopefully it is the old style as opposed to the new one that doesn't fit. SO, that is where we are... Good stuff!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone else heard of this? I just can't imagine I am the first one in the 300 world to discover that this part was manufactured to the wrong specs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Still waiting for an answer from chrysler. Body guy says that I will be the last to get the part because after the manufacturer fixes the mistake the parts will all have to go to the plants to go on the new 300's. Does this sound like a crock to anybody or is it just me? I called a couple of dealers and they have no idea what I am talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts