Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to give my ride a good polish to get the swirl marks out.Just wondering what buff to use rotary or orbital.Also, had paint protection done when bought car. Does this make a difference to the way I go about things? Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Want to give my ride a good polish to get the swirl marks out.Just wondering what buff to use rotary or orbital.Also, had paint protection done when bought car. Does this make a difference to the way I go about things? Any suggestions appreciated.
This is one of the kits I bought and it works great too. Porter Cable seems to be the most popular out there and it's pretty safe to use. You should check out the detailing forum here for some ideas.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/711025-post1.html

Bernie

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey Gordy,

I recently posted a similar thread. I purchased the Meguiars dual action orbital and it was easy to use. I only used a mild swirl remover and cut and teh pad I used was non abbrasive. I used it on my wife's black car hoping to get swirl marks out but it didn't do much at all. Perhaps I need the waffle pad and harsher products but I think I would want to practice on a crap car first.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Hey Gordy,

I recently posted a similar thread. I purchased the Meguiars dual action orbital and it was easy to use. I only used a mild swirl remover and cut and teh pad I used was non abbrasive. I used it on my wife's black car hoping to get swirl marks out but it didn't do much at all. Perhaps I need the waffle pad and harsher products but I think I would want to practice on a crap car first.
Here's a sticky thread in the detailing forum, and it's by an Aussie no less!!!

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/detailing-discussion/17841-how-buffer-use.html

Bernie

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am possiibly wrong but the best way in my opiinion is only by hand with a soft microfibre cloth & a normal buff with same cloth. Our cars have a clear coat that cant be beaten by polishes. It doesn't get better than new. However marks arrive on our cars so we want to remove them .The swirls in most cases are from the last wash. We dont strip everthing before we start. Hence , our canvas is never clean to start with. If you use anything harsh to clean be very carefull. New is new be carefull C300 If you say anything...........??????I I I Just give up but [I lpkkkk [/I]

·
Registered
622 Posts
I wonder what the paint protection sold to him by the dealer actuallly is/?
Is it a sprayed on clear coat? Is it a wax or polymer? Is it nothing/??
Who knows?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I am possiibly wrong but the best way in my opiinion is only by hand with a soft microfibre cloth & a normal buff with same cloth. Our cars have a clear coat that cant be beaten by polishes. It doesn't get better than new. However marks arrive on our cars so we want to remove them .The swirls in most cases are from the last wash. We dont strip everthing before we start. Hence , our canvas is never clean to start with. If you use anything harsh to clean be very carefull. New is new be carefull C300 If you say anything...........??????I I I Just give up but [I lpkkkk [/i]
Actually buffers like the Porter Cable are perfectly safe to use along with a good polish and a wax meant for machines afterwards. They have different pads available for more severe swirls too. If you were to do it by hand it would take you forever and you'd probably not do as good a job.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I'll buy into this one, given I have a selection of 4 vehicles with varying degrees of paint quality and the fact I have both an Orbital and Rotary.

Firstly let me state that the PC (Porter Cable) Orbital is not sold in Australia and is not available in 240 Volt so a step down transformer is required.

On a newish vehicle I would only recommend using an Orbital as the rotary takes a bit of time to master and is aggressive on paint. You will take paint off an edge (eg. panel ridge) in not much more than a blink of an eye if you are not careful. A rotary on the other hand needs you to try really hard to damage the paint due to it not generating much heat which burns the paint and if you apply too much pressure the pad just vibrates and stops turning.

Some detailing nuts reckon the use of a rotary is only to impress the neighbours, maybe so, as it doesn't take too much effort by hand using a good commercially available product to take out a little swirling (or holograms as the experts call them).

I use sheepskin pads on the rotary (aggressive) and a selection of 5 different foam pads on the orbital, depending on what you are applying (cutting through to buffing).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts