Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking into swapping the rotors on my 8....maybe to crossed or crossed and slotted is there a direct swap that anyone knows of....thanks jon

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the stock rotors cross-drilled, slotted & nickle-plated by Brake World and they came out nice. Problem is, BW will not do this work to used rotors... :eek:uch:

·
Registered
41 Posts
fastmax1 said:
I had the stock rotors cross-drilled, slotted & nickle-plated by Brake World and they came out nice. Problem is, BW will not do this work to used rotors... :eek:uch:

I always thought that Cross AND Slotted rotors were a No No. It ruined the structural integrity of the rotors? :swordfigh

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
shiva_va said:
I always thought that Cross AND Slotted rotors were a No No. It ruined the structural integrity of the rotors? :swordfigh
It sure does. The car is way too fast with way too much grip to fool around with the rotors like that.

Slots done by a good shop will help with the compound transfer problem. Drilling is tricky and leads to cracks and failure. It also reduces the grip of the swept area and decreases stopping power. Really only good on the track for heat issues and where you will throw rotors away on a regular basis.

Drilling and slotting the same rotor is just not sound engineering. Unfortunately, it has become a fashion statement on some cars lately.

As fast as I like to drive, I would feel very uncomfortable in an SRT-8 with these rotors at any speed over 60 mph.

·
Registered
443 Posts
juice said:
i was looking into swapping the rotors on my 8....maybe to crossed or crossed and slotted is there a direct swap that anyone knows of....thanks jon
check with Dave Zeckhausen.....I think he has a whole new rig available

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was talking to SSBC at SEMA about their brakes. None of theirs are drilled, only slotted. They do the slots to let the gasses escape from under the pads. But he said drilling started on race cars as a way to lighten the rotors. They do nearly NOTHING for cooling, and drilling DOES increase cracking and rotors WILL have to be replaced more often. They look kinda cool, and that is why everyone wants them. It all makes sense to me. What would cause the air to flow sideways through a hole in the rotor that is spinning at ??? RPM? There must be some force to make air move through the holes if they are for cooling. I agree with SSBC, they are to make them lighter only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts