Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna give Royal Purple oil a shot, everyone has been advising me to try it because its great, I bought 7 quarts at kragen auto for 5.95 a quart its on sale,they recommended 5w-30 is that the correct type? will i see any performance gains as advertised on the front of the oil?

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Im gonna give Royal Purple oil a shot, everyone has been advising me to try it because its great, I bought 7 quarts at kragen auto for 5.95 a quart its on sale,they recommended 5w-30 is that the correct type? will i see any performance gains as advertised on the front of the oil?
you need 5w20 not 5w30 for the 5.7; read your owners manual and look at the oil cap! :pat: The MDS will not work right with 5w30 they say.

Royal Purple does offer a 5w20, that's what I use. Go trade those 7 quarts for the right weight, and whatever you do DON'T use a FRAM FILTER (which is probably what you bought if you got it at kragen). Get a WIX (#51085) or NapaGold (#1085) or maybe even a Mopar filter at the dealer, but please NO FRAM! They are junk.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I agree with KJ, that oil usually runs $8, you got a steal but it's the wrong weight. Ditto on the piss poor Fram filter. I would add to his recommendations a Purolator Pure One as an upgrade over the stock Mopar which is also made by Purolator.

You really need to know your car better and not rely on "recommendations" from Corky at the local auto parts store.

I would be shocked if you notice any performance gains, oh yes the butt dyno will tell you that it "runs better" and "has more pick up" only because in your mind you know you have RP in the crank case. I doubt if anyone drove two identical cars back to back with different oils in the crank case they could tell a difference. Long term, any full synthetic (and RP may well be the best of the bunch) will give you less wear over 500K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts