Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I last used my car on tuesday night. It's been sitting maybe 55 hours and this happens all the time whenever it's parked for more than 2 days. It's enough rust that I have to give it gas to get them unstuck and it feels like crap until I drive a few kms. Anybody else get rust this quick, this bad??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
How old are the rotors and pads?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Came new on the car, car was put on the road on may/2012, approximately 40,000kms on the car.

It's on like that rust stays though. After 3 stops it's gone. I'm just concerned about the amount of rust. It's like a thick layer if I touch it with my finger it rubs off almost in an orange paste. Makes a mess of my calipers too.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yeah I'd swap em out with new rotors and pads. I know it's pricey but that just doesn't seem normal. I can see why it bothers you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yessir never changed. I wonder if warranty would cover? I'm about 1 month away from the 3year powertrain expiring.
The pads have at least 70% left, same with the rotors i'd rather not change em out.

Well this boggles me, I was hoping I'd come across other people with the same issue.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Yessir never changed. I wonder if warranty would cover? I'm about 1 month away from the 3year powertrain expiring.
The pads have at least 70% left, same with the rotors i'd rather not change em out.

Well this boggles me, I was hoping I'd come across other people with the same issue.
The Brembos on my Cadillac did that, the Brembos on my Chevy did that and the Brembos on this Sled do that.

Does that help?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Weird. I wonder why.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I like that!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pretty normal to me. The most used brakepads are usually semi-metallic, so they contain metal particles. When they wear, some dust is developing and it usually gets on the rotor surfaces as well. When the humidity conditions are optimal, high-humidity, even raining, particles turn into rusty dust layer in just few hours. That can be seen as a rust layer on the rotor surface. Absolutely nothing to worry about if it gets away after few brakings. All of my cars have done that, all of my rotors have done that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Came new on the car, car was put on the road on may/2012, approximately 40,000kms on the car.

It's on like that rust stays though. After 3 stops it's gone. I'm just concerned about the amount of rust. It's like a thick layer if I touch it with my finger it rubs off almost in an orange paste. Makes a mess of my calipers too.

mikeap87,

Brake pads and rotors are covered by a 1 year, 20,000km warranty.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Everyone seems to think this is normal however I don't. My vehicle was outside all last week while I flew south for a week and the wasn't anywhere near that much rust. Frankly I don't recall seeing any, and while I wasn't looking for it, I am sure I would have noticed something as bad as that. Certainly no issues with the pads sticking. Almost looks like the cars at a "u pull" yard.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Brake discs are made of metal. (well, most) Un treated metal rusts! It is absolutely normal, and the amount of surface rust you will see will vary because of the weather conditions, and area in which you live.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My car was parked today under a bridge for 10 hours. It rained all day long, temp was +3 °C. Didnt even rain directly on the car, because of the bridge. Front disks were covered of red rust. Drove back home and they were clean again. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts