Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 300c Srt8
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts,

I have a 2005 300c srt8, Last year I had problems with cylinder # 6 misfiring at idle, after various checks I diagnosed that it was a failed lifter on the cylinder # 6, so I replaced all 16 lifters along with a new cam. Car became extremely smooth, no issues, no check engine lights nothing.

Yesterday after around 35000-45000 Kms I noticed that the engine is shaking little bit at idle, as I reached work the misfire became the same type I was having last year. Check light came and it is the same code "Cylinder 6 Misfire" I was having last year.
Later that night I swapped the coils to make sure that not coils issues also checked the injectors with the trinity they are good as well.
Kindly help with your experiences what is the issue with my engine? Why only cylinder #6 lifter is failing again and again.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure it's a lifter and not a valve spring, valve, rocker arm or push rod? When you put the new lifters and cam in, did you first soak the new lifters in fresh oil for a couple days, and use lots of assembly lube on the cam, lifters, push rod ends, rocker arm cups and all over the valve heads and springs? What type oil (fossil oil or synthetic) and what weight are you using? When you origianlly changed the litters, what did you find wrong with the No. 6 lifters? Were the other lifters all good, or other issues? What kind of new lifters did you use.....OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brand? When the lifters were out, did you insure all the oil passages to the lifters were clear....easy to do when the heads are off and the cam is out?

I have an 06 300 C SRT8 that I bought from my Grandson and it had been run for about 20,000 miles (a couple years) with either and/or the wrong type, weight and quantity of oil. It took that long to completely destroy the lifters and cam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my 06 srt it had noise from the lifter but no check engine light. Had oil. But after 3 days of driving the lifters got extremely loud I put lucus in and noise went away alot

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You won't get a check engine light for noisy lifters, but will if the oil pressure is low. How many miles on the vehicle and have any mods. been done to it? Since this is "new to you" vehicle, unless you know the complete maintenance history, I'd recommend you change all the fluids/oils/filters in the drive train, if for no other reason so you'll know that all have the right stuff in them. Oil type (synthetic) and weight (0W-40) are critical and nothing else should ever be used. You can monitor your oil pressure on the EVIC readout by selecting "System" and then go to oil pressure which, IIRC, is the first item on the menu. Let us know what it is when fully warmed up (oil temp a little over 200 degrees) at cruise and at idle in gear. Oil temperature is also on that menu.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You won't get a check engine light for noisy lifters, but will if the oil pressure is low. How many miles on the vehicle and have any mods. been done to it? Since this is "new to you" vehicle, unless you know the complete maintenance history, I'd recommend you change all the fluids/oils/filters in the drive train, if for no other reason so you'll know that all have the right stuff in them. Oil type (synthetic) and weight (0W-40) are critical and nothing else should ever be used. You can monitor your oil pressure on the EVIC readout by selecting "System" and then go to oil pressure which, IIRC, is the first item on the menu. Let us know what it is when fully warmed up (oil temp a little over 200 degrees) at cruise and at idle in gear. Oil temperature is also on that menu.
My srt8 has 130k miles on it and the guy that sold it to me said it has New srt max cam with lifters

·
Registered
512 Posts
Did the transmission work properly when you bought it, especially at wide open throttle? The engine wouldn't cause the transmission codes to be thrown but, how long had the cam been in the vehicle when you bought it. Does it look like the heads and front engine cover have been off the engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did the transmission work properly when you bought it, especially at wide open throttle? The engine wouldn't cause the transmission codes to be thrown but, how long had the cam been in the vehicle when you bought it. Does it look like the heads and front engine cover have been off the engine?
Hello there aren't any transmission codes. But I dont know for sure how long before I got the car when the lifters were put in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts