Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, would appreciate some assistance here.

I have imported a 300C from the US to here in England.
The DVD in the sat-nav unit is the original US one.
I have asked Chrysler UK to attain me a UK DVD, which they have, at a cost $300. However they called to tell me that the unit in my car will not read it! And suggested I buy a new UK unit to read it at a cost of $1500.

Originally, I wondered if it was anything to do with the region formats, but I am informed that data-DVDs are usually "region free", so should my US unit read the UK DVD?

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's the key word. "Ususally:. I want to know this too as I am going to get my car sometime this decade, and will be here in Europe awaiting it still.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
The US model head units are model "REC" and the European ones are model "REJ" (look at the lower right front in small print to see the model). You must have the appropriate disk for each one. You can't take the US REC model to the UK and use the UK disk in it and vice versa for the REJ here in the US.

Steve - My guess is that your only real solution is to buy a complete new REJ head unit from the dealer. If it's any help - there are lots of people here who would probably be willing to buy your REC unit to help offset the cost.

·
Registered
268 Posts
REJ Vs REC - tuning step through

In addition, the AM and FM station tuning mechanism "step through increments" is different for europe compared to US - You might have problems fine tuning your stations with the REC nit in Europe..

jay

JonW said:
The US model head units are model "REC" and the European ones are model "REJ" (look at the lower right front in small print to see the model). You must have the appropriate disk for each one. You can't take the US REC model to the UK and use the UK disk in it and vice versa for the REJ here in the US.

Steve - My guess is that your only real solution is to buy a complete new REJ head unit from the dealer. If it's any help - there are lots of people here who would probably be willing to buy your REC unit to help offset the cost.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found my unit code and it is "rec" (very stupidly I thought that may have meant "record", D'oh!)

Jay, you are 100% right. My fave radio channel over here is 909 or 693 on the AM, and due to the step-throughs I have to listen on 910 or 690 and it's a little off, especially in built up areas.

A "techie" mate is having a look to see if he can create me a DVD that might work. If if doesn't I'll have to think about changing to a "rej" unit, and selling on the "rec".

I'll let you know.

Cheers

·
Registered
709 Posts
son-of-a... Well I'll have to McGyver something to make mine work. I won't give up as easily as Stevo there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hmm, could create a REC-to REJ DVD, one that loads the SW image of the REJ onto the REC, might even fix the tuning issue..........

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks HaTax, I'll see what my techie says. I haven't given up yet!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am having the same problem... :(
NAV: I think it is up to the software version of the unit. I dont think they would produce 2 different hardwares but the same with REJ and REC software. In the nav menu I found a version number, but dont ask me how to change it. I hope there will be some EPROM flush solution soon...
DVD: ALL of DVD players can be hacked with some trick, my problem is I dont know what DVD is in the VES unit.
IPOD: I think there will be a good solution using CAN-BUS soon, thats why I didnt want to invest any money into some half solution. I want to use the buttons on the wheel, I want to see the folders... I ma sure IPOD will fit the system on the way Sirius does, so Im wainting for a modul that I just have to connect and it will pick up a new tab on the display beside CD/SAT/NAV
REVERSE CAM: In the Jeep SRT8 it is written already the head unit will have camera feature (Im sure on the same CAN-BUS system)

Summary, I think as soon as the producers will think there are many customers are on the market they will start to produce real plug-and-play units we can use. This CAN-BUS system is a very good solution: instead of heving a lot of cables in the car they built up this main communication bus where all type of components can be connected. Our problem is that this is too new...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been in contact with both Nav-tech, who didn't help much and Alpine Electronics who produce the DVD. They were more helpful see the email quote below.

"unfortunately our aftermarket navigation systems not only use different software but also hardware for the three markets we sell product to, Japan, USA and Europe. I can only sympathise with you on this one as it's an all too common question we are asked.
I would contact Navteq and find out whether they can supply a disc for the UK ? Even then I think it's doubtful that the software will update itself and function without a hitch but certainly worth a try, they can only say no ?"

So, I feel I'm at a dead end, but I think rsimon may have a point. Hopefully someone somewhere someday will crack it. Until then I'll use my trusty road atlas and listen to a slightly off-tune radio station! Not that impressive for a car I paid $48,000 for!

Cheers
Steve

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Alpine gave you the straight scoop. There is a difference in the hardware/firmware in the units. I've recently tested an REJ head unit with both a Chrysler VES DVD system and Sirius SAT system and it did not recognize either device. Either Chrysler is not going to offer those two options outside the US and crippled the REJ units to not allow those inputs or they are using a totally different set of data from the US version.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Steve Gee,

I think you must look at your car in England as we look at a "Grey Market" car here. It was not built for England or Europe, it was built for the U.S. market.

So as the 'Grey Market" importer of the 300 to England you have the responsibility to make the different things work, not Chrysler or Alpine.

Sorry, but I think your $48,000 car is ideal for what it was built for, U.S. usage.

Jim

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Jim,
Yes I fully accept that my car is "grey market" as is my Corvette and Camaro. So I can live with the Fuel Consumption being wrong, not having RDS, having to install rear fog-lights and side-repeaters and the steering wheel being on the left-hand side. However the Sat-Nav/Stereo is a piece of electronics and I would've hoped that there would be a solution to enable it to read the UK Maps which, after all, is just a bit of data.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
268 Posts
Business sense

I imagine, that because of a translation of one UK pound = approx 1.5 US $, it makes business sense to keep these units' access to functionality to a minimum- ....that would prolly be to prevent folks from importing en- masse huge numbers of US sourced devices at a lower original cost than if they were to obtain it from UK sourced dealers.. Just wondering..

jay

Steve Gee said:
Hi Jim,
Yes I fully accept that my car is "grey market" as is my Corvette and Camaro. So I can live with the Fuel Consumption being wrong, not having RDS, having to install rear fog-lights and side-repeaters and the steering wheel being on the left-hand side. However the Sat-Nav/Stereo is a piece of electronics and I would've hoped that there would be a solution to enable it to read the UK Maps which, after all, is just a bit of data.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts