Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that the defog kinda sucks and does funky things.

The other day I had the AC on but it got to a point that the windshield was fogging up. So clicked on defog and it made it worse. I could actually see mist coming out the defog vents, for a minute I thought my heater core was leaking but I didn't smell coolant. Put my hand up and it was blowing cold, which makes sense sort of as I hadn't yet turned up the temp, when I did turn up the temp it took a while for the defog to blow warm air. Then also in general it has a hard time making/keeping the windshield clear. I live in a rather humid part of the country, better defog would be great.

Our HVAC has all this tech, this is the newest car I've ever owned, kinda new to me.
1. Does it shut off hot water flow to the heater core with the AC on? If so this would explain it taking a while for the defog to blow warm.
2. Is it not smart enough to figure out not to blow cold air on the windshield?
3. I've seen mentioned that there's a humidity sensor, what effect should this be having?

If I could get the HVAC to dehumidify the interior in general without cooking myself and while blowing some air on the windshield that'd be great. In my older vehicles I'd do this by turning on defog(and maybe AC if not automatic) and leaving the temp at a medium setting. The air would be dehumidified by the AC evaporator then warmed again by the heater core before blown on the windshield. Will my 300 do that, if so, in which settings?

Any other tips, issues?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's nuts! Is your evaporator coil drain clogged?
That's actually a good question, I'll have to take a look. Not sure where it drains but probably some rubber thing I can look for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fooled around with it the other day and discovered something. The AC pump doesn't turn on when in defog. In most vehicles I've owned the AC pump turns on when in defog. That way the AC dries the air, then the heater warms it up before blowing it on the windshield. Right now I'm having the best success keeping the AC on all the time even when I want it warmer.

Has anyone looked for HVAC options in AlphaOBD?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you have the automatic climate control? I know they can go wonky.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts